PhD/PsyD while as an undergrad...social psych or personality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbkc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Quick question.
I plan on applying to Phd programs in clinical psych and counseling next year, and since this is my last semester as an undergraduate student, I could take either social psychology or personality.
Does anyone have any suggestions on which of these two would "look" better when applying to the phd program?
I cannot take both since my schedule will already be very busy.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've more frequently heard of Social Psych being required by doctoral programs as pre-requisite undergrad coursework than Personality, but I'd check with each of the programs to which you're considering applying to see if that's the case.

If neither seems to be required at many/most/all of those programs, then just take whichever sounds more interesting to you, as I doubt either would influence admissions decisions.

Pretty much just a repeat of AcronymAllergy here. They're both fun courses and will each give you some good knowledge useful as a foundation. Neither are typically 'required' courses for application. Either way, take whichever fits the programs you are applying to- either as a requirement or as a conceptual area related to the type of clinical/research interest you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think Social is the better choice because it will give a stronger foundation in experimental research methodology. Social psychologists are great at clever/interesting manipulations to look at cause and effect. Personality is more of a crapshoot as a class, because most people teach it focused on major schools of thought (e.g., Freudian, Jungian, humanism, etc.) which is (in my opinion as a clinical psychologist who is trained in personality science) not consistent with how personality is studied these days. (note: I do not have actual data on "most people" but I have looked at a dozen personality textbooks and most of them are organized by major schools of thinking, which is a great exercise in the history of clinical psychology but not as good about learning what personality psychologists study).

For applications, I agree that it probably doesn't matter, but in terms of usefulness, social is probably better and more up-to-date.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply =D
I believe I will stick with the social psych class! =) thanks again!