Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

While you wait for AMCAS, check out this site!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SMW, Aug 9, 2001.

1. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

If you're tired of following the minutiae of AMCAS's never-ending screw-ups, here's some fascinating reading. I was up until 2 am last night devouring the entire thing. http://upalumni.org/medschool/

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fascinating... thanks for the link!

4. Ai

Ai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow! Thanks for the link :)

5. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Fascinating...and profoundly disturbing.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree. Let's hope his experience was atypical, but I'm really afraid it wasn't.

7. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I haven't read all of it, but it does seem to focus on specific experiences that would raise some eyebrows. I'm sure there are as many positivie experiences that probably that are not provocative enough to sell.

8. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Whoa - how depressing! Was the person who wrote that ever happy? And are they still in the medical field? Let's just hope that this is the exception and not the rule and that we all have happy and fulfilling careers.

9. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did a quick search on the author (Michael Greger) on Google to find that he seems to be doing public health research - lots and lots of published articles on mad cow and crohn's disease.

That article was eerily disturbing. I think that what made it sound so harsh was that he ONLY added the very negative quotes from and stories about docs and interns and sandwiched them between positive, philosophical quotes, proverbs, and poetry. He is undoubtedly a crafty writer. I don't believe for a second that he had THAT hard of a time - surely there were good days. Even within the article itself, every other person he met seemed to ask him why he was so sensitive...

10. jdub

jdub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey,

i started a little discussion on this one in the lounge if anybody wants to take a look at it and get involved. :D

i emailed the guy too and he actually responded within a few days, he was really nice.

:D

11. mtritt2

mtritt2 Member
    10+ Year Member

That was messed up. I'm worried.

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

jdub, Thanks for starting the lounge discussion. It's very thoughtful. I like your take on things.

13. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To all the students who went to bed crying
    or woke up screaming.
    To all those who needed to leave their hearts at the door.

- "The four-pointed star... is a phenomenon carrying a grave and solemn warning."[1]

Besides medical school, there is probably no other four-year experience - unless it be four year's service in a war - that can so change the cognitive content of one's mind and the nature of one's relationships with others.
    - F.D. Moorse, Harvard Medical School

This is the School of Babylon
    And at its hand we learn
    To walk into the furnaces
    And whistle as we burn.
    - Thomas Blackburn

I just graduated with honors from Tufts University School of Medicine, the class of 1999. I don't feel honorable, though. I have become disillusioned - disgusted even - by medical training and medicine as a whole. I want to help others dispel their illusions as well.

Medical school is four years long. The first two years are basic science lectures, more like an extension of college. The last two years, however, third year and fourth year, involve rotations through hospitals. "One of the few statements with which most physicians would agree," one doctor writes, "is that the third year, the year on the wards, is the critical year in medical education." [2] "In no year of their adult lives," another contends, "do students change so much as during the third year of medical school."[3] This is my story of third year, the worst year of my life.

14. pocwana

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hate starting new threads. Everything has been done/said/discussed before. So I search and I bump.

I just wanted to mention that the author of this work, Heart Failure - Diary of a Third Year Medical Student will be speaking at UCLA on Tuesday, February 25, 2003. There are other dates around the country and can be viewed here

15. 2badr

2badr **Switch**
    10+ Year Member

He appears to have only negative stories to share. Disturbing.

16. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I mentioned this book in the thread on Greg Nicholson's new book on The 3rd Year of Med School. Greg's book is a little more positive, but still has a lot of disturbing information on medical education ( or the lack thereof) in the third year. I bumped up that thread for people who are interested.

17. pocwana

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hope he's a bit more of a positive speaker. If not, then apps should be down next year!

18. haha i hope he gets more negative, so apps will do down more!