White coat and military uniform?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Septimusseverus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Straight-forward question out of curiosity.

How does the traditional "white coat" fit in with military uniform regulations? Are you allowed to wear it over your camouflaged work uniforms? How about your service uniform? Can you wear the white coat outside while in uniform?

Members don't see this ad.

White coat while in uniform only in clinic/hospital. If wearing over ACU then typically remove the ACU top and just wear a tshirt and the white coat. Pants are optional

Reactions: 1 user
You can wear it in most hospitals over acu pants and undershirt, or over class b uniform. It is never supposed to be worn over coats or blouses, and never outside. You're not even supposed to be wearing your hospital badge off hospital grounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely just a personal quirk, but there's something that bothers me about the ACU - top + white coat look. If you need the white coat so badly for practical purposes, then scrubs should be justified. If you want the white coat for aesthetic reasons, then wear the ASU. Like I said though, I'm probably alone on this.

Reactions: 1 users
On the Navy side, those foolish enough to have chosen a specialty that doesn't involve wearing scrubs 100% of the time just wear it over their uniforms.

Well said.

I literally did not put my ACUs on in the hospital the last 6 months of my ADSO. Unfortunately, they made me wear them during out-processing on post.

I only wore my white coat with scrubs (because I had to). Or when I was an intern and had 15lbs of crap in it.

I wisely shose a specialty where the white coat is usually not worn.

This is definitely just a personal quirk, but there's something that bothers me about the ACU - top + white coat look. If you need the white coat so badly for practical purposes, then scrubs should be justified. If you want the white coat for aesthetic reasons, then wear the ASU. Like I said though, I'm probably alone on this.

You're not, I also think it looks ridiculous. The ACU pants are so puffy and white coats are typically tighter on top than bottom leads to a parachute pants look.

I only wear my white coat with scrubs, only when I am on my one week of inpatient duties. I have learned to like wearing my ACUs to work every day (clinic and procedures). I don't have to worry about figuring out which civilian attire to work and then changing into scrubs. I do my procedures (endoscopy suite) with my ACUs on with a gown over it. On the civilian side plenty of those in my field who do procedures wear slacks, button up shirts and some places ties (the more stuffy academic centers).

I did my internship at NNMC....therefore no ACUs. Thank goodness...they look ridiculous. I'm not a fan of white on khaki...I wore a white coat on dress blues...which looks pretty good.

I did my internship at NNMC....therefore no ACUs. Thank goodness...they look ridiculous. I'm not a fan of white on khaki...I wore a white coat on dress blues...which looks pretty good.
Now you're going to Mayo and will have to wear a 3 piece tuxedo to work every day :)

On the Navy side, those foolish enough to have chosen a specialty that doesn't involve wearing scrubs 100% of the time just wear it over their uniforms.

I never wear a white coat. Hate em.. Also wash my uniforms far far more often than those white coats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Various armies had different colored coats during this period even separate regiments would have their own special coat colors. You mentioned the British Redcoats as one example. I believe the blue coats were the Prussians, famous for their dark blue nearly black coats, think of Prussians as the 18th century storm troopers. Although I think the Swedes also had the blue coats. The White coats were worn by the French, who during the reign of Louie XIV were regarded as the foremost military land power. I believe many Spanish troops also were white coats as well in this period.

He makes a convincing point. Why don't we start wearing spikey helmets again?

Reactions: 3 users
He makes a convincing point. Why don't we start wearing spikey helmets again?

We'd have to wait for the new Navy covers to be fully rolled out before we start the switch to spiky helmets, but 6 mos between should suffice...

OH WAIT we can just add a whole 'nuther uniform!

Two new uniforms. Helmets first, then helmets with spikes. make sure, however, that you can't just attach a spike to the helmet. You need to buy a new one.

Exact same helmet, different spike. Again, the spikes are not interchangeable.

Exact same helmet, different spike. Again, the spikes are not interchangeable.

The struggle is real.

Spiked Helms.jpg

The right one will be the mess dress spiked helm and the left one will be the duty spiked helm.

And you have to pay 50 bucks each time they have to paint a stripe on the helmet...oh wait nevermind, no one gets promoted anymore.

I think spike length and girth should be related to rank. I want to see a line of O-6s with cervicalgia from the 1 foot metal spike on their helmet. Frankly, I know a lot of people in the command suite who would find that satisfying in an overcompensating kind of way.

I think spike length and girth should be related to rank. I want to see a line of O-6s with cervicalgia from the 1 foot metal spike on their helmet. Frankly, I know a lot of people in the command suite who would find that satisfying in an overcompensating kind of way.

Does the spike on the helmet change to a spike on the codpiece when you reach O7?