white coat ceremonies

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools do white coat ceremonies?

I'll start with the schools I know:

SUNY -- no
PCO -- yes (just started)

Members don't see this ad.

r_salis said:
Which schools do white coat ceremonies?

I'll start with the schools I know:

SUNY -- no
PCO -- yes (just started)

Hmmm, what's a white coat ceremony?

ICO--today, in fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
list time !!

SUNY -- no
PCO --- yes (just started)
ICO --- yes
UHCO --- yes, after clinical competency exam 2nd year.

I-Ball said:
Hmmm, what's a white coat ceremony?

it's where the school officially welcomes to you a medical profession by giving you the white coat. UHCO gets them embroidered with your name and sews the school emblem on them for you (they're really nice)

cpw said:
it's where the school officially welcomes to you a medical profession by giving you the white coat. UHCO gets them embroidered with your name and sews the school emblem on them for you (they're really nice)

Wow, cool. I want a white coat. lol, Congrats to all of those getting their coats!!! :thumbup:

we're having our white coat ceremony at SCCO on 9/21

(c'mon people, list format! ;) )

ICO --- yes
SCCO --- yes
SUNY --- no

The white coat given in optometry school is just a consolation price for you to make you believe you are a doctor. Shame on the administration for lying to you all.

the above user was served a warning which he refused to heed..... this is why he was banned.

Thanks to the rest of you for contributing positively to this forum :)

cpw said:

Whenever I see the UHCO students walking around the building wearing their white coats I always think, "man I can't wait to be doing that!"

Simisn said:
Whenever I see the UHCO students walking around the building wearing their white coats I always think, "man I can't wait to be doing that!"

you will be simi... :) once you're there it goes SO FAST !

cpw said:
you will be simi... :) once you're there it goes SO FAST !

the white coat ceremony is so depressing! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
what about at NEWENCO? do we have that as well?!

LiViA said:
what about at NEWENCO? do we have that as well?!

hi,

NEWENCO has orientation this thurs. and fri.

I'll ask and find out.....

p.s My gut feeling is that NEWENCO does NOT have a white coat ceremony,
I say this b/c I've seen the pictures of alumni O.D's at graduation and they were not wearing a white coat....

cpw said:
the above user was served a warning which he refused to heed..... this is why he was banned.

Thanks to the rest of you for contributing positively to this forum :)

don't understand why this person would be banned by making this statement. I think everyone is entitled to their opinions and comments regardless of how it may be percieved by others. minus any profanity of course.

johnstoner said:
don't understand why this person would be banned by making this statement. I think everyone is entitled to their opinions and comments regardless of how it may be percieved by others. minus any profanity of course.
because he made FIFTEEN iflammatory statements in this and other pre-professional forums slamming any person who wasn't an MD. He had nothing constructive to contribute. I don't mind disucssing and debate.. but when it's nothing but insults... it has to stop. the user was warned.. didn't stop.. .and was therefore banned. All users are warned to cease and desist before banning for the most part.

that is all ...

I think all optometry schools should start doing white coat ceremonies.

If optometrists wear white coats in their profession, the ceremony would mark the start of it all, MD or not. Its funny how some of these "MD" people can't handle the MD title and have to be kids about it. You guys remind me of little boys who brag at school that their dad is a police officer or something.

samwY said:
I think all optometry schools should start doing white coat ceremonies.

If optometrists wear white coats in their profession, the ceremony would mark the start of it all,

I'm not really sure how many ODs actually wear white coats in practice. I don't, nor does my wife or any of the ODs we're familiar with. Personally I think its a little pretentious, besides if you work with kids at all, I would suggest you don't wear a white coat. That said, this year at PUCO the current third years as a class voted to make white coats mandatory in clinic so they had a ceremony just before the started clinic.

In a large clinic, like in schools, I think the lab coat is a good idea. That way you can tell who's a "doc" and who's a patient. My father never had a white coat in his practice (32 years) until I started at ICO and told him we had a white coat ceremony. I have no idea why he started, I'll probably change that once I start practicing with him.

The funny thing is that the coat he had when he was in school is the coat he puts on if he is painting or something and does not want it get the rest of his cloths dirty. :laugh:

One of the OD's I shadowed a while back wore a white coat but I don't think any other doctor in his office did. Personal choice I guess.

Does color matter? I've seen some OD's wear a grey coat or a blue coat. Is that the same thing as a white coat?

ICO --- yes
PUCO --- yes (just started)
SCCO --- yes
SUNY --- no

rpames said:
In a large clinic, like in schools, I think the lab coat is a good idea. That way you can tell who's a "doc" and who's a patient. My father never had a white coat in his practice (32 years) until I started at ICO and told him we had a white coat ceremony. :

in the real world with optometry techs/receptionists wear scrubs, lab staff, and opticians wearing white coats I really don't think it causes the OD to stand out.

The white coat given in optometry school is just a consolation price for you to make you believe you are a doctor. Shame on the administration for lying to you all.

that's quite a repulsive thing to say

Why are so many three and four year old threads being brought back to life lately?

apparently this guy doesn't have a life.

ICO --- yes
SCCO --- yes
SUNY --- no
UC Berkeley---yes, before summer clinic of 3rd year (btw 2nd-3rd year)

UC Berkeley---yes, before summer clinic of 3rd year (btw 2nd-3rd year)

Yeah, it's an old thread, but I might as well add in UMSL.

Yes, same as UHCO - after clinical competency exam 2nd year.

Actually SUNY does have a white coat ceremony, I think they started either this year or last year.

my white coat cermeony was awesome. I got it in the mail and I tried it on. My mom said I looked chubby in it.

NECO (formally known as NEWENCO) does have a white coat ceremony.... during your second year.... You get a notebook (clinical notebook) ceremony during first year.

Funny how it's a white coat ceremony but you have to buy your own white coat @ SUNY of course...

SCO has a White Coat ceremony as well.
Held during first year.

UAB has a white coat ceremony. I'm a 1st year and we just got our coats last week. We got them early to have them dry cleaned and we return them july 16th the day of our ceremony. I think it's a great idea to have white coats because it looks much more professional to the patients that come in the clinic during our 3rd and 4th years. I think MD's need to get over their anger towards us. We aren't trying to step on their toes, we are just doing our own thing. Most MD's that become ophthalmologists do eye surgery anyway so we should be able to work together nicely. We have one class, med neuro, with the med students and for the most part they are nice to us. I get tired of being compared so much because I personally have never wanted to be an MD. I have respect for them and I wish they would just respect us. :)

UAB has a white coat ceremony. I'm a 1st year and we just got our coats last week. We got them early to have them dry cleaned and we return them july 16th the day of our ceremony. I think it's a great idea to have white coats because it looks much more professional to the patients that come in the clinic during our 3rd and 4th years. I think MD's need to get over their anger towards us. We aren't trying to step on their toes, we are just doing our own thing. Most MD's that become ophthalmologists do eye surgery anyway so we should be able to work together nicely. We have one class, med neuro, with the med students and for the most part they are nice to us. I get tired of being compared so much because I personally have never wanted to be an MD. I have respect for them and I wish they would just respect us. :)

That's so sweet. I agree. And good luck to you this year, it will be my first year also.

And then you get out of school... and never wear that darned thing again ! :laugh:

ICO --- yes
SCCO --- yes
SUNY --- no
OSU --- yes (7th annual this year in '07), after 1st year. Patch bearing official college of optometry seal sewn on after clinical competency exam 2nd year.

OSU --- yes (7th annual this year in '07), after 1st year. Patch bearing official college of optometry seal sewn on after clinical competency exam 2nd year.

Hehe... reminds me of the Boy Scouts. Learn how to tie a knot - get a patch. Learn how to do an eye exam - get a patch. :thumbup:

ICO --- yes
SCCO --- yes
SUNY --- yes

who really cares?

Well, I would agree that it's not something one would choose a school over (whether or not they have a white coat ceremony), but for the curious applicants, and more especially, those who have pride in what they do, it's a nice event for the college to put on.