white coat ceremony attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CityIvy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

i posted a similar thread in the allo forum, but didn't get very many replies, so i'm hoping that i'll get some more input here. for the ladies out there, what are you planning on wearing to the white coat ceremony? i'm not sure how "dressy" it is. would a skirt and buttondown shirt (like the interview suit sans jacket) do, or would a dress be better? what about hose? (it's going to be so hot, and i'd much rather not wear it) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi City Ivy,
I attended the white coat ceremony at Duke a couple of years ago. Lots of moms and dads in attendence so the attire was very casual, pressed and tucked in.

The boys wore the standard khakis, button down shirt and tie. The girls wore dresses or sweater sets/button down shirts/nice skirts or dress pants (just think very conservative going to the office job).

I think the key is finding a shirt that the white coat will slip over gracefully. It can be a bit ackward, standing on the stage, while your mentor wrangles the white coat on to you. :) Pay attention to the lenght of the shirt, you probably do not want to give the families a showing of your new belly ring while your arms are twisted behind your back. I would avoid the quater-back four-layer look by only wearing one layer (nix the sweater set).

The biggest mistakes seemed to be 1. wrinkled, 2. too-tight, 3. boys in khaki pants that were too long and bunched at ankles of industrial/hiking boots (again to be avoided), and 4. wierd khaki cargo pants with industrial pockets ???? Hope this is useful-not trying to be snotty. I think I may need to start a post on interview clothing (why would anyone wear a hunter green suit?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have your white coat...

Originally posted by Moleculo
Been to a couple White Coat ceremonies. The women typically went naked. Im serious, so any women reading this, go to your White Coat Ceremonies naked. It's tradition.

Im going in a Muscle T, work boots, and some short shorts .

you're gonna be one big pile of man meat for everyone to gobble up!

I was thinking more about dress pants and then some sort of shirt with it. How does that sound to the ladies here????

Been to a couple White Coat ceremonies. The women typically went naked. Im serious, so any women reading this, go to your White Coat Ceremonies naked. It's tradition.

WOW, you should have mentioned that earlier so I could have applied to those schools. I guess a bunch of naked Med students should be something to see.
:eek:

Make sure you wear your short frayed denim shorts and don't worry about patching them up.

I'll be there in my fave mesh vest, tight leather pants, scarf and a pair of JLo shades. Love ya! --Trek

About white coats in general-- we're going to be wearing these all year, right? If so, I'm having trouble picking out a size. The size that fits me perfectly right now might be a bit tight on top of the sweater I'm wearing come winter, know what I mean? And next size up is just too big for me.

I'm in SoCal, so I imagine it's much worse in Chicago or Boston or something...

I hear you should wear one size larger than what comfortably fits you. So if you wear XL shirts, get an XXL. They figure you might be in layers and that you definately want to be confortable in that coat.

I guess I'll have to settle for the ol' shirt & tie w/slacks.

A t-shirt with the words "I'm Warm For Your Form" on the front would probably be a tad bit inappropriate for such an occasion.

-Sauce:( :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesn't have a white coat ceremony, but we have to show up for day 1 of orientation in business attire. I'm wearing a black skirt suit with chunky sandals and no hose. :) I would think a blouse and skirt would be fine for a whiite coat ceremony....or pants, whatever you prefer.

I'm planning on wearing a black sleeveless dress. I'm really not sure what is the "norm" at my school.

Given it was Houston in August, but for our white coat ceremony most of the girls wore nice sundresses or skirts and blouses (ie, something you would wear to a nice brunch with your parents), and the guys wore slacks, button-down shirts and ties.

I don't plan to get too dressed up. Business casual (for those of you in the workplace prior to med school) seems to be fine. My orientation packet said "casual dress" for most days and "dress clothes" for the white coat ceremony. I will likely wear dress pants and a simple shirt. No hose or heels for me-- too much commuting to be that dressed up. Besides, we have a luncheon afterwards and I want to be comfortable. I'd say unless there's a specific directive to be formal, khakis and the like are fine.

Originally posted by finney
Hi City Ivy,
I attended the white coat ceremony at Duke a couple of years ago. Lots of moms and dads in attendence so the attire was very casual, pressed and tucked in.

The boys wore the standard khakis, button down shirt and tie. The girls wore dresses or sweater sets/button down shirts/nice skirts or dress pants (just think very conservative going to the office job).

I think the key is finding a shirt that the white coat will slip over gracefully. It can be a bit ackward, standing on the stage, while your mentor wrangles the white coat on to you. :) Pay attention to the lenght of the shirt, you probably do not want to give the families a showing of your new belly ring while your arms are twisted behind your back. I would avoid the quater-back four-layer look by only wearing one layer (nix the sweater set).

The biggest mistakes seemed to be 1. wrinkled, 2. too-tight, 3. boys in khaki pants that were too long and bunched at ankles of industrial/hiking boots (again to be avoided), and 4. wierd khaki cargo pants with industrial pockets ???? Hope this is useful-not trying to be snotty. I think I may need to start a post on interview clothing (why would anyone wear a hunter green suit?).

Sorry I meant to use this quote... and for some reason I can't edit my own post. Anyway what's with Hunter Green?

It is just not right. Do not think about it too much just stick with charcoal gray or dark blue.

what ISN'T wrong with a hunter green suit? it's just not very professional...the color that knicks players wear when they're injured and sitting on the bench. tacky.

foxy: thanks, that's exactly the response i was looking for...i wasn't sure if wedge sandals were okay..... :)

BUT WWWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYY? And What about black suit with a white blouse?

Originally posted by silvercholla

What's wrong with Hunter green? Seriously I would like to know, cuz you are the third person who has said that Hunter green is a bad idea

silvercholla,
I don't think there's anything wrong w/ hunter green. In fact, green is one of my two favorite colors. :) Seriously though, we're just talking about a white coat ceremony! Geez. It's not as if they're going to refuse you the white coat for wearing green. Honor the leprechauns! I wouldn't hesitate to wear a hunter green suit (if I owned one). Now, if you had your heart set on wearing something flourescent green , I would advise against that as I don't want to be blinded as you walk across. ;) Wear whatever you feel like as long as it's w/in reason. :)

i recommend one wears a coogi sweater (preferrably purple and black), boxer shorts (any color), flip-flops and a bowler hat.

bump...anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if it has been suggested... but going there in the buff works for me!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are you girls wearing long sleeves, short sleeves, or no sleeves to it?? Mine is next week and its been in the 90s so I don't want to sweat to death. But I want to look nice.

Maybe I just don't get it, but the whole ceremony seems kind of silly to me. I don't think any ceremony is real significant until we get to the one at the end of the four years.

Anyhow, it's not like the interview...they're not going to kick you out because you under- or over-dressed for the occasion :) At least, I hope not...

Good luck,

Adam

Nothing super fancy! Kind of "business casual' is fine...
By the end, you'll be in a coat anyways!!

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
Are you girls wearing long sleeves, short sleeves, or no sleeves to it?? Mine is next week and its been in the 90s so I don't want to sweat to death. But I want to look nice.

I sure hope it cools down some by then! I'll be in long sleeves, if that helps ya any. :)

One word: Hot Pants.

a big ol' BUMP!

(since there seems to be some discussion regarding clothing... ;) )

Originally posted by ewells
One word: Hot Pants.

let me be a slave to the obvious by saying, this is TWO words ;)