White Coat Ceremony- Clothing for Parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been to or through a WCC, what would you say the normal attire was for parents?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm sure your parents can figure it out themselves

Last edited by a moderator:
Dads would wear a suit, surely. Moms would wear something that goes along with dad's suit. there will always be the dad who wears khakis and a nice shirt to this sort of thing, but that's how i see it.

If you want, many med schools publish photos from this ceremony, google around and search for photos and you'll see how all are dressed.

Of course, you will be wearing the white coat.

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
just had mine yesterday- dad wore slacks, button down, sport coat, tie. mom wore a dress with a jacket. most parents were a little less dressed than that. gl!

Not a tshirt. It isn't that big of a deal. It felt like a slightly faster version of a graduation. The coolest part was not the whitecoat for me. I had to get mine from somewhere else and give it to them (I also have another one). The coolest part for me was the neat little lapel pin and name tag.

Thanks for the advice all, I've tried looking at pictures but most of them don't show parents, and those that do seem to indicate a very wide range of clothing, from hawaiin shirts to full suits :D. I"ll see if I can force my dad to trade in his scrub pants for something a little nicer...

Mine was yesterday. I'd probably suggest not a suit (as it's August, after all), but something you could wear to Sunday brunch. Some khaki pants would be great, and a polo or short-sleeve button up (which tend to look better on the older generation than they do on us...).

As students, we had to wear ties, but attendees could easily get away without them.

Mine was yesterday. I'd probably suggest not a suit (as it's August, after all), but something you could wear to Sunday brunch. Some khaki pants would be great, and a polo or short-sleeve button up (which tend to look better on the older generation than they do on us...).

As students, we had to wear ties, but attendees could easily get away without them.

I've always felt that too lol.

Dads would wear a suit, surely. Moms would wear something that goes along with dad's suit. there will always be the dad who wears khakis and a nice shirt to this sort of thing, but that's how i see it.

If you want, many med schools publish photos from this ceremony, google around and search for photos and you'll see how all are dressed.

Of course, you will be wearing the white coat.

D712

no one wears suits anymore, except to med school interviews!!! and certainly not to a white coat ceremony. nice casual is appropriate. collared shirt and khakis.

Haven't had mine yet, but the invitation sent to my parents states that dress is "business casual.". Interpret that as you will.

No worries, when your classmates' names get called and their families start screaming and wooting like a bunch of monkeys from the zoo you'll feel right at home wearing cutoff jeans and an undershirt.

Dads would wear a suit, surely. Moms would wear something that goes along with dad's suit.

do you really think your mom should match your dad like some accessory? that's so ridiculous

no one wears suits anymore, except to med school interviews!!! and certainly not to a white coat ceremony. nice casual is appropriate. collared shirt and khakis.

:laugh:

really? that's news to me