white coat ceremony/orientation at AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current students have details on these two events??? When is the w.c. ceremony? Does the university make it a big deal? Is it something that your family should attend from out of town? I have heard that some schools make a bigger deal out of giving you your white coat than others do. What's the protocol for AZCOM???

Also, what goes on during orientation (how many days, etc.)?

Just curious......thanks!!!

titan

Members don't see this ad.

super question!! I was wondering that myself these last few days. Is this something i invite my fam/inlaws to??

Hey guys, whats up? Well I dont know about the w.c. ceremony, but if you look in your packets you got after you got accepted, in your student medical file, it says that new student orientation is Wed. 21st to Fri. the 23rd. Classes begin Mon. the 26th. Anyone who knows about the w.c. ceremony, your input will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Ryan:
•Hey guys, whats up? Well I dont know about the w.c. ceremony, but if you look in your packets you got after you got accepted, in your student medical file, it says that new student orientation is Wed. 21st to Fri. the 23rd. Classes begin Mon. the 26th. Anyone who knows about the w.c. ceremony, your input will be much appreciated.•••••Ryan,

In my packet it says that New Student Orientation begins on Wednesday Aug. 28 and concludes Friday Aug. 30. It say classes begin on Tuesday September 2nd. We start school on Labor Day????

titan

Hey Titan, I think you are looking at last years schedule. I looked it over the other day and I saw that, then I realized that it was the prior years schedule. I really don't know when the wc ceremony is, but I am interested if anyone knows. Probably should put this post in the osteo instead of the pre-osteo. Take it easy.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Hawk:
•Hey Titan, I think you are looking at last years schedule. I looked it over the other day and I saw that, then I realized that it was the prior years schedule. I really don't know when the wc ceremony is, but I am interested if anyone knows. Probably should put this post in the osteo instead of the pre-osteo. Take it easy.•••••Hawk,

Nope, on the front of the "student medical file" it says AZCOM Class of 2006, then in the inside cover it says "Congratulaions blah blah blah......New Student Orientation: We are looking forward to meeting you as you participate in New Student Orientation beginning on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 and conluding on Friday, August 30, 2002. Classes begin on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2002......."

Did anyone else out there receive this? It's a tan little pamphlet with a few pages. It has titer info., immunization stuff, emergency contact stuff, coat size stuff, etc. etc.

Hawk, what info. are you looking at!?!? I put this on the osteo board earlier today by the way.....with no response.

titan

•••quote:•••Originally posted by titan:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Hawk:
•Hey Titan, I think you are looking at last years schedule. I looked it over the other day and I saw that, then I realized that it was the prior years schedule. I really don't know when the wc ceremony is, but I am interested if anyone knows. Probably should put this post in the osteo instead of the pre-osteo. Take it easy.•••••Nope, on the front of the "student medical file" it says AZCOM Class of 2006, then in the inside cover it says "Congratulaions blah blah blah......New Student Orientation: We are looking forward to meeting you as you participate in New Student Orientation beginning on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 and conluding on Friday, August 30, 2002. Classes begin on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2002......."•••••It is probably a typo. Yes September 2nd is a Monday and a holiday. No school would start on that day, I would hope. They will probably start it on Tuesday the 3rd. They will probably send out another packet after everyone pays the third deposit. Or you could call them and post the correct date here...

I think i'll just call AZCOM tomorrow!!

OK...

I called AZCOM. School starts on Tuesday September 3rd. Orientation is Wed. August 28-Fri. August 30. They said that right now they don't even have a tentative date for the w.c. ceremony, but that it will probably be within 30 days of the 1st day of school. Also, they said a good time for families to come is during w.c., not during orientation.

titan

titan-- i am thouroughly impressed!! You are so resourceful!!! I had no idea school starts so late-- i was expecting mid august. More time to work/play i guess.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by titan:
•OK...

I called AZCOM. School starts on Tuesday September 3rd. Orientation is Wed. August 28-Fri. August 30. They said that right now they don't even have a tentative date for the w.c. ceremony, but that it will probably be within 30 days of the 1st day of school. Also, they said a good time for families to come is during w.c., not during orientation.

titan•••••Alright, you are the man, thanks for the info. Did they mention if they are going to be sending us that info anytime soon? I do have that pamphlet. I was going through it mainly for the shots info. I guess I had read it, but the dates were off, so you have now clarified things. Thank you very much! Did they mention if the W.C. ceremony was going to be anything special, even if they didn't have a date for it yet? Just wondering. Thanks again titan. :)

Thanks guys.....but all I did was make a phone call!!!!

Hawk, they didn't say anything about sending stuff out, but she did say that about half of the students have family come to the w.c. ceremony. I got the impression that it's not a huge deal. I understand that the school is new, but in my opinion our w.c. ceremony should be a celebration of our achievement in reaching one of our most sought after goals. I believe the school should treat it as such even though in the grand scheme of our lives as physicians this event may pale in comparison to what we will achieve. For NOW this is quite an accomplishment for all of us!!!

titan

do you all think this is something we can change for us-- or is it something that we improve for classes to come??? :confused: I would love to beef it up- i agree this is a huge milestone-- it's medical school!!!! Not to toot our own horn too loud but we've accomplished something that many never do-- This has a lot of potential!!

Maybe if any of you know some current students at AZCOM they would know who is in charge of w.c. If that is a no go then I guess I can call the school again and inquire some more.....

Feel free to brainstorm and throw out ideas....

titan

First of all congratulations to you all for your acceptances! :clap:

I am an MS-II at AZCOM and I remember our white coat ceremony very well. It holds a different value to everyone; for me it was a "big deal" and I appreciated my family being there. I worked very hard to be where I am and my family helped each and every step of the way. For me it was only right for them to share in this "right of passage". But for others, it was no big deal and some did not even show up.

The school carries out a very tasetful ceremony and a nice reception to follow. The auditorium hall was filled to capacity, with many beaming students and parents. I was a little disappointed in that our ceremony was held on a Friday mid-afternoon which made it difficult for those who could not miss work/school to attend, but all in all it was great. My new friends were able to meet my family and my family really felt like they were a very important part of this process (AND THEY ARE!!!).

Medical school will be the toughest challenge and hardest work you will ever encounter in your lives. Enjoy the "perks" along the way...they are few and far between. :)

Cottontop,

Wow! Thanks for your response, I was beginning to think this post had died. We appreciate the congratulations, I think all of us on here are very happy with our acceptance and decision to attend AZCOM.

Is there a contact person at the school who I (we) can talk to about the w.c. ceremony? I think we all would like to make sure that the school makes it a big deal, not just for us but for our families too. For me, I can't wait to have my family there sharing in the moment. I want to ask the school if there is anything that we (2006ers) can do to ensure that our ceremony is a nice one. I am willing to provide any help that is necessary.

Thanks again for your help, and good luck this quarter!!!

titan

P.S. Oh yeah....how long does the ceremony last?

Personally I think our ceremony was very nice. If you'd like to send me a private message I can scan and e-mail you back a picture from ours. When I said tasteful I did not mean cheap or embarassing. The auditorium is new and comfortable and your family will be impressed. You have nothing to worry about. You and your family will be proud, I have no doubt.

It is really far too early to worry about contacting someone about the WC ceremony right now. It appears as though Dr K and the powers that be don't even decide on a date until after classes begin in the fall. Much of it will depend on exam schedules and new curriculum schedules. Our curriculum committe meet several time a year and are very busy during the summer months to assure as much of a transparent transition based on curriculum improvements/changes each year.

I know our class has benefited greatly from some of the changes our predecessors initiated, so relax and just inform your family the WC ceremony will be within the first 60 days of classes. There will be plenty of advanced notice to make travel arrangements if need be.

PS:
Our ceremony lasted about two hours, with speaches from the President, Dean, and finally presentations of "the coats". A reminder, do stop by student services to try a few on and request the proper size. Many of our students that didn't bother ended up with coats either too large or too small. And with all the pictures families like to take you want to look as nice as possible.

I can certainly understand your excitement and desire to get involved so early on. I found out about my acceptance very eary in the cycle (October) and the next year of waiting was excrutiating at times!!!! But hang in there. Most of us (MS-IIs) have been so busy with finals and testing we have not had time to do our fun stuff, like checking message boards and the like. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like about AZCOM, we have a break coming up and I know there are others that drop in from time to time.(second year is the "year of the test"...two a week almost the entire time, then finals, and of course boards (uggghhhhh....I need to go study ) :rolleyes:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jhug:
•do you all think this is something we can change for us-- or is it something that we improve for classes to come??? :confused: I would love to beef it up- i agree this is a huge milestone-- it's medical school!!!! Not to toot our own horn too loud but we've accomplished something that many never do-- This has a lot of potential!!•••••And many people that attempt math or physics never accomplish becoming a mathematician or physicist. Many people cannot even attempt this stuff at a grad level.

med student

cottontop-- thank you for the insight and encouragement!!! this is such a great time for all of us- it is nice to be able to share together! Maybe we could throw out some ideas about what we can do to make the ceremony/party extra enjoyable-- post-barbeque/social gathering--???
just one of many ideas

Cottontop.....

Just so you know, I sent you a private message. I'm not sure if i wrote it in the message or not, but please feel free to e-mail any pics you have of AZCOM/w.c./whatever....

Thanks!

titan

In case any of you are interested to know....

I called AZCOM and they said there hasn't been a date set yet for white coat, but it would probably be mid-october.