white coat ceremony question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhiannon777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting med school this fall and I assume I'll be going through a white coat ceremony then. There's something that's been nagging me...how do they know your size for the coats? Do you order them yourself or does the school keep a supply onhand? I'm a heavier woman and I keep imagining myself humiliated at the ceremony by being handed a coat that is to small to put on.

Members don't see this ad.

My school mailed me a form to fill out over the summer. Our first coat was free.

I'll be starting med school this fall and I assume I'll be going through a white coat ceremony then. There's something that's been nagging me...how do they know your size for the coats? Do you order them yourself or does the school keep a supply onhand? I'm a heavier woman and I keep imagining myself humiliated at the ceremony by being handed a coat that is to small to put on.

At many places the white coat ceremony is well into the first semester, not right at the beginning. Thus at such places there will be a time early on when someone is there to measure you and let you try on sizes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let anyone else tell you differently. Med schools weed out potential surgeons from the beginning when they send you a needle and a bunch of white fabric. Happy stitching!

All of our coats are the examination coat (waist length) from Landau. They said we should just go to a local uniform store and try on what they had to see what size we wanted. Some women prefer the mens' sizes.

My school mailed me a form to fill out over the summer. Our first coat was free.

That coat probably cost you about $200k and 4 of the best years of your young life...

That coat probably cost you about $200k and 4 of the best years of your young life...

at least it comes with a patch and a shiny nametag :rolleyes:

Don't go out and buy a coat now regardless. They'll give you one (after they ask you for your size), and it'll probably be embroidered with your school and your year or something (ours was).

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice for gunners: Make sure to bring all the stuff for your coat pockets on the day of the ceremony. ie bring your stethoscope, reflex hammer, various medical refernce cards (maybe a maxwell's or something), that little book with everyone's pager numbers, and pocket robbins. This will ensure all your classmates know who they are dealing with and that #1 class rank is already yours.

This topic was kind of discussed in it -- well, wearing a white coat first day of class, etc.

Related question: what's with wearing scrubs & tie-back surgical caps to MS-1 lecture? Not talking about people with jobs that might require this; not talking about people heading over to lab. I'm talking about people who wear this just to come to class, then head home. If this is you, are you thinking this is necessary because you might get called out of biochem lecture for a surgical consult?

:laugh: LOL

Wizard wishes it was his younger life's years being used. He believes that his cerebrum worked better when he was the median med student age.

My school calls the white coat "a psychological contract" with the practice of medicine. One of my classmates, Mr. Freeze, commented that he spilled coffee all over his psychological contract. :thumbup:

Advice for gunners: Make sure to bring all the stuff for your coat pockets on the day of the ceremony. ie bring your stethoscope, reflex hammer, various medical refernce cards (maybe a maxwell's or something), that little book with everyone's pager numbers, and pocket robbins. This will ensure all your classmates know who they are dealing with and that #1 class rank is already yours.

Awesome! When you start giving free physicals to the audience afterward, just make sure you know which way the eartips go on your $400 electronic stethoscope. :thumbup: You'll thank me later.

:laugh: LOL

Wizard wishes it was his younger life's years being used. He believes that his cerebrum worked better when he was the median med student age.

My school calls the white coat "a psychological contract" with the practice of medicine. One of my classmates, Mr. Freeze, commented that he spilled coffee all over his psychological contract. :thumbup:

haha... my psychological contract sits in the back of my jeep collecting dirt stains until the day before i need it, when it gets washed and hung up to dry. then i use it, and throw my contract back in the back seat.

Related question: what's with wearing scrubs & tie-back surgical caps to MS-1 lecture? Not talking about people with jobs that might require this; not talking about people heading over to lab. I'm talking about people who wear this just to come to class, then head home. If this is you, are you thinking this is necessary because you might get called out of biochem lecture for a surgical consult?

scrubs i've seen, they're comfortable. but surgical cap? who does that?

Maybe try and lose some WEIGHT. Yes i know a novel idea.:sleep:

Awesome! When you start giving free physicals to the audience afterward, just make sure you know which way the eartips go on your $400 electronic stethoscope. :thumbup: You'll thank me later.

:laugh:

Very nice! I remember a girl in our clinical exam course near the end of second year that still didn't know how to put those in her ears. "I think I hear those crackles." :laugh:

(And our school's very heavy on clinical experiences throughout the first two years)

Go to a medical supply / uniform store and try on the various sizes so you know which one to order.

My school had a number of coats in the bookstore that you could try on to get a sense of the best fit for you. Then you filled out a form with the corresponding number.

My school had a form that asked for height and weight and an estimate of your size. I think they called you if the height-weight chart and the size you picked didn't match up to see what you wanted to do.