white coat ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sholly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can parents attend the white coat ceremony...to take pictures and stuff? If they can, do a lot of parents come?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely!! At or just before orientation, you will get an invitation and will ask for you to reply w/how many people you are expecting. This past August, for my class, we had so many people attending that they changed locations just a couple days prior.

Bring everyone you want. They also video tape it and have pictures available for you to buy, shaking hands w/the Dean.

Congrats!!! go NSU!!

Sorry for this stupid question but what and when is the white coat ceramony?

DoctorinSpace you said before orientation you get a letter asking how many will attend? Is this orientation when you start med school ?

the white coat ceremony is the induction into med school...its also a great time for your parents to take pictures and cry and be happy that their son/daughter has made it...at least this far. for nsu i believe the ceremony is on aug 8. and then aug 9 is the 1st day of school.

Apparently for COMP you can only bring 2 guests. Sad.

Yes, the white coat ceremony is part of orientation before the first real day of med school. Not every school has a white coat ceremony. Basically, we line up in alphabetical order, and 11 or 12 of us walk up onto the stage w/our coat in over our arm, had it to the professor/administrator standing at our "spot" on the stage, and they help us to put on our white coat. Our names are called as we walk onto the stage, people clap, take pictures, hoot and holler, and as we come off the stage, we get a DO pin as well as a handshake from the Dean while our picture is taken with him. Since white coats are part of our dress code, they make a big deal out of the white coat ceremony. It was really nice, and afterwards, they have a lunch and mini-orientation at the school for any friends/family that have come with you.

You get the invitation to the white coat ceremony sometime in July I believe, and they just want a head count of how many people you intend to bring to the ceremony and then lunch. The ceremony is deemed mandatory.

I hope that helps

Thats a neat little ceramony...I had never heard of it.

I can't wait to get into med school...Im doing my prereq. right now...I majored in int'l bus. so I have to take all the science classes.

Anybody have any info on LECOM's white coat ceremony, and more specifically if there is going to be one at LECOM - Bradenton?

Thanks

The LECOM white coat ceremony takes place early in the second semester of the MS1 year. My class was not allowed to invite ANY guests. I'm not sure what the policy is now....I'm also not sure if FLECOM will have the same policies as the "mother school" (You can only hope that it won't....believe me)

Hey

Our white coat was this past weekend. Go to www.lecom.edu and then then news and recent events.

We were allowed to invite at least 2 guests...some where able to get a hold of the extra tickets.