White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cedricw

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice they want you to invite your family. Do a lot of people bring their family to this thing? I don't wanna be the only one with or without people there.

Members don't see this ad.

My parents came to my ceremony, but I go to school in my hometown. I expected the ceremony to be a small affair but it was huge! There were tons of parents, siblings, grandparents, you name it. Even the local media was there. It's sort of a nice PR and feel-good event for the school. If your parents want to attend (and you want them to attend) then I'd go for it. There will probably be lots of other families there too.

My whitecoat is Sunday, and I have 9 people coming--even in-laws from Colorado. I thought this was a lot. I was apolegetic when I turned in my reply forms, but the secretary told me that several people had 16 or more guests attending. I guess you should just take whoever wants to go. In my case, I think it's more of an excuse for my wife's family to see her than actualy interest in the ceremony, but maybe I'm cynical.

StephenS1

Members don't see this ad :)
I can barely contain my emotions when I think about the white coat ceremony. If your family or friends have played any part whatsoever in supporting your road to medical school, I'm sure they would be honored to be invited. I agree with the other responses to this topic. It is a big day to be celebrated by lots of people...

...and rightfully so! I hop all of you enjoy this day as much as I hope to. Best of Luck to all of you.

Rangers1

How do you know if your school has a white coat ceremony? I know that some schools don't have a formal affair for 1st year students. I would really like to attend a school that has a white coat ceremony, but the MSAR doesn't say if there is one at any particular school.

Mr. A:

I don't know about UW, but OHSU down here in Portland has one on Sept. 1.

Geo

[This message has been edited by GeoLeoX (edited 07-01-2000).]

Best way is to call schools you're interested in and ask them, really... or just dash of a quick email.

My school doesn't have one, and I think most of the other UC schools don't have one either. I guess it is not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to do... especially for my parents, etc.

[This message has been edited by zolie (edited 07-02-2000).]

I think I've read something on one of the threads here saying that UCI has a white coat ceremony. Also, I'm pretty sure UCLA has one as well.

I would be willing to bet that UCSF has one because a prof from UCSF is speaking at our white coat ceremony at columbia and it would seem odd that she would speak at another school and not decide to initiate one at another school