White coat ceremony?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedancer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any medical school that does not have one of these, or has it late in the year?

Members don't see this ad.

freedancer said:
Does anyone know of any medical school that does not have one of these, or has it late in the year?

...do you have a white coat phobia?

Maybe the OP, like myself, just thinks it's a ******ed idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
JayQuah said:
...do you have a white coat phobia?

ha ha ha, nice response

I don't know much about other schools, but Temple has theirs in late Oct.(after 2.5 months of classes). Do you consider this late in the year?

paco4488 said:
ha ha ha, nice response

I don't know much about other schools, but Temple has theirs in late Oct.(after 2.5 months of classes). Do you consider this late in the year?

White after Labor Day? Yup, that's late.

You guys are pretty funny. I guess it did sound kind of like I was looking for a school without them. Not the case. I don't really feel one way or the other about the ceremony. I was just curious if it was something all schools did, or just some....since it is kind of a new tradition, yes? :laugh:

Miami has doesn’t have a white coat ceremony. We all have to purchase our white coats at the beginning of the year which we are allowed to use right away. Then in March of the 1st year we have a pinning ceremony. Essentially you get a UM pin which is supposed to be the official welcome into the medical committee and the school of medicine.

kenmc3 said:
Miami has doesn’t have a white coat ceremony. We all have to purchase our white coats at the beginning of the year which we are allowed to use right away. Then in March of the 1st year we have a pinning ceremony. Essentially you get a UM pin which is supposed to be the official welcome into the medical committee and the school of medicine.

if i'm not mistaken, einstein doesn't have one either.

Colorado does a stethoscope ceremony instead

Stanford also does a stethoscope ceremony. You also are given long-coats as opposed to the traditional short-coats...

Mine's after the first week of classes, and my grandfather is making this big deal about it. I don't get it; I won't have accomplished anything by that point! All it really does is reiterate that I got into med school...

SwineLake98 said:
Mine's after the first week of classes, and my grandfather is making this big deal about it. I don't get it; I won't have accomplished anything by that point! All it really does is reiterate that I got into med school...

You accomplished getting into med school....no small feat!!! I actually think it is kind of nice.

freedancer said:
You accomplished getting into med school....no small feat!!! I actually think it is kind of nice.
Exactly! I think it is wonderful. I know Hopkins has theirs late, but I also heard they are probably changing it next year to be around the same time as all the other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It makes me uneasy, coming before any education, any service as a physician. They are welcoming us into the profession, but coming so early, it seems less like a solemn pact and more like a declaration of ownership. It smells of elitism, a little, I think.

That said, like graduation and your wedding day, it's not really about you; if it does anything for my peeps, I say godspeed.

freedancer said:
You guys are pretty funny. I guess it did sound kind of like I was looking for a school without them. Not the case. I don't really feel one way or the other about the ceremony. I was just curious if it was something all schools did, or just some....since it is kind of a new tradition, yes? :laugh:

I don't think its all that new a tradition -- started in the early 90's at many places. Most people find it a very positive, albeit unnecessary experience. It is just a way for the school to make parents and other family feel involved in the process, as you will find that there are relatively few things they get invited to over the course of your 4 years.

QuikClot said:
it seems less like a solemn pact and more like a declaration of ownership. It smells of elitism, a little, I think.

That's the (faustian) price you pay in entering a profession. Sort of like like "getting your button" in the mafia. :laugh:

Hooray you guys get to wear a white coat in the hospital!!!

Have fun bumping into all the people below who also wear white coats. Even better, they get to wear the LONG white coat while you look dorky in your shortie.

RNs
LPNs
CNAs
Phlebotomists
CRNAs
Xray tech
MRI tech
U/S tech
PAs
PA STUDENTS
NPs
Janitors

Law2Doc said:
I don't think its all that new a tradition -- started in the early 90's at many places. Most people find it a very positive, albeit unnecessary experience. It is just a way for the school to make parents and other family feel involved in the process, as you will find that there are relatively few things they get invited to over the course of your 4 years.

I had a white coat ceremony, virtually identical to the current ones, when I started medical school in the late 1970's, although it was new THEN. I didn't like it much but my family, especially my grandmother, did. Like many ceremonies, this one is mostly for the family, not you. Remember though, the moment that coat goes on, you are (unless outranked by other docs in the family), the family expert on all medical diseases everyone in the (?extended) family has. Brush up fast on colds, influenza, dog bites, etc - not covered in the preclinical curriculum much, but a source of many a phone call to preclinical students from their family....

So, relax and enjoy it. I hear nowadays some of the talks are good and even a bit funny.

OBP

oldbearprofessor said:
Brush up fast on colds, influenza, dog bites, etc - not covered in the preclinical curriculum much, but a source of many a phone call to preclinical students from their family....
Funny, I've been getting phone calls like those (and some even more obscure) from my friends for the past 2 years. I suppose they'll only be more numerous once I actually start med school!

Messerschmitts said:
My mum's attending mine! :D I want to make her proud.
My mother will be lucky if she knows I got into medical school.

oldbearprofessor said:
I had a white coat ceremony, virtually identical to the current ones, when I started medical school in the late 1970's, although it was new THEN. I didn't like it much but my family, especially my grandmother, did. Like many ceremonies, this one is mostly for the family, not you. Remember though, the moment that coat goes on, you are (unless outranked by other docs in the family), the family expert on all medical diseases everyone in the (?extended) family has. Brush up fast on colds, influenza, dog bites, etc - not covered in the preclinical curriculum much, but a source of many a phone call to preclinical students from their family....

So, relax and enjoy it. I hear nowadays some of the talks are good and even a bit funny.

OBP
I already get that:

AUNT: "How do you manage gout?"
Me: "You go see a doctor."
AUNT: "Don't you know? You should know!"
Me: "Carla, when did gout become an area of expertise for a respiratory therapist or EMT?"
AUNT: "Well you're basically a doctor already...."
Me: *groan*

Anyone want to guess why I will have an unlisted phone number and not give it out?

We have a short white coat burning ceremony at the end of fourth year at LSU-S. A pity because as an intern at Duke I have to wear a short white coat. (But at least I don't have to wear the white pants like the surgery residents who wear those and the short white coat for two years.)

oldbearprofessor said:

OBP

I remember back in 1973 when I entered medical school, they gave us black bags, instead of white coats. Now my son will be entering medical school at Tufts and I kinda think it will be cool to attend.

This is for the parents

oldbearprofessor said:

OBP

Here's my favorite:

almost everybody in my extended family has done it to me at least two times since i was accepted.

"I have this thing I want you to look at." (procedes to bend over and pretend to pull down their pants)

ours was in september, i think. they combined it with family day and we had a nice reception with some of the faculty. we also came up with a class oath ('study hard, respect our professors, blah blah blah). overall it was not all bad. the food at the reception was really good

taemd said:
I remember back in 1973 when I entered medical school, they gave us black bags, instead of white coats. Now my son will be entering medical school at Tufts and I kinda think it will be cool to attend.

This is for the parents

This is probably a stupid question, but why black bags? Or do you mean like tote bags or something?

^come on parietal lobe, black doctor bags (you know the sterotypical bags that carry stethescopes and other medical equipment) docs used to carry around when making house calls :rolleyes:.

Touchdown said:
^come on parietal lobe, black doctor bags (you know the sterotypical bags that carry stethescopes and other medical equipment) docs used to carry around when making house calls :rolleyes:.

Ohhhhh! Duh! I was thinking tote bags or something. I'm functioning on two hours of sleep so forgive my stupidity.

Parietal Lobe said:
Ohhhhh! Duh! I was thinking tote bags or something. I'm functioning on two hours of sleep so forgive my stupidity.

Actually, I never made a house call. I used that black bag when I would see patients in the hospital. The bag was pretty beat up from 25 years of use. I had it refurbished and presented it to my son when he was accepted to Tufts Medical School 2 month ago. I guess it is a father thing.
I know you all must think it is corny.

taemd said:
Actually, I never made a house call. I used that black bag when I would see patients in the hospital. The bag was pretty beat up from 25 years of use. I had it refurbished and presented it to my son when he was accepted to Tufts Medical School 2 month ago. I guess it is a father thing.
I know you all must think it is corny.

I don't think it's corny. I think it's very sweet actually. He's lucky to have such a caring father!

Shoot, WHEN (not if*) I get into med school I'm going to buy my own black bag. I think they're cool. And no, the gift was not corny. I would have been very pleased to have gotten such a wonderful gift, with so many years of stories behind it. (If your son didn't appreciate it, take it back and mail it to me. just kidding. haha.)