White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
isn't it awkward that no one knows anyone? The class hasn't met, and we don't even know who the faculty is. I wish they'd wait till we're done with preclinical when we feel that we've actually accomplished something (and we also know the students/faculty who are there).

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya, quick question for anyone:

Do they make the incoming class go up on stage one by one and announce their names, anything like that? Do they say anything about the person on stage, if they do do that?

At our school, the ceremony involved a series of speeches, and ended with everyone in the class filing across the stage one at a time. They put our white coats on us at one end, and read out our names, undergraduate institutions, and degrees as we walked across. As our reward for not tripping and humiliating ourselves on the way across the stage, we got a book and a photo op on the other side. :laugh:

isn't it awkward that no one knows anyone? The class hasn't met, and we don't even know who the faculty is. I wish they'd wait till we're done with preclinical when we feel that we've actually accomplished something (and we also know the students/faculty who are there).

Many schools hold their ceremonies after the students have already had a chance to meet. Our school held it at the end of orientation week (which was plenty of time to be non-awkward), and there are others that hold off for a semester or more before even giving their students white coats. I think it generally depends on when students are going to begin seeing patients - the earlier patient contact starts, the earlier the schools break out the coats.

At our school, the ceremony involved a series of speeches, and ended with everyone in the class filing across the stage one at a time. They put our white coats on us at one end, and read out our names, undergraduate institutions, and degrees as we walked across. As our reward for not tripping and humiliating ourselves on the way across the stage, we got a book and a photo op on the other side. :laugh:

Many schools hold their ceremonies after the students have already had a chance to meet. Our school held it at the end of orientation week (which was plenty of time to be non-awkward), and there are others that hold off for a semester or more before even giving their students white coats. I think it generally depends on when students are going to begin seeing patients - the earlier patient contact starts, the earlier the schools break out the coats.
This response is also true of my school :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

This response is also true of my school :thumbup:

i just checked my future school's calendar... our ceremony is 8/2 and orientation starts 8/3. So I'm not going to know ANYONE (except my family ofcourse):(:(

has anyone had to go through something like this?

talk about awkward:scared:

This really seems like much ado about nothing. Get your white coat and makes friends after.

My school holds ours in February, when after doing the coursework we'll have a little more appreciation for what we're getting ourselves into and the meaning of the coat. It's right before we start our preceptorship, so we actually wear the coats shortly after getting them. And it seems more meaningful to celebrate with your classmates after surviving a semester together.

i just checked my future school's calendar... our ceremony is 8/2 and orientation starts 8/3. So I'm not going to know ANYONE (except my family ofcourse):(:(

if all else fails

www.facebook.com

:laugh:

Weird! So much variety! My buddy who's starting in the fall was concerned about how much they say about you at ceremonies where stuff is actually said... I guess he's concerned about his privacy... but from what it seems like, at most they'll say your college and hometown. that's harmless! :)

Hah you guys are so psyched about those damn coats. I have a dingy, crappy one on loan from my school because they make everybody who does shadowing wear one for some reason, even if they're not a medical student yet or even an applicant yet. The doc I shadow doesn't make me wear it, so it's balled-up in my bag most of the time.

After that, a ceremony would be pretty silly to me. Although a ceremonial dry-cleaning of the school's stock of loan coats might be a good idea.

They ought to just ceremonially cut off the bottom 12-inches of the standard-length, heavily stained lab coat I've been wearing for the last 3 years. Then in 4 years they can sew it back together.

Sheeeesh, Dr. House doesn't weat a white coat.

Members don't see this ad :)

why not just talk to people? you kmnow you arent going to be listening to all the speeches anyway. get to know your neighbor.

UTSW actually holds their White Coat Ceremony in the End of October, after we are done with Biochem, so it actually signifies that we have earned/ deserved it, and it is not just for getting into med school. And it also takes away the not knowing anyone factor...

I for one am looking forward to my white coat ceremony. I didn't graduate from high school and my parents couldn't afford to fly out to attend my recent college graduation so I didn't walk. My family is going to make it to the white coat ceremony, so it's kind of my high school grad/college grad/I got into medical school-ceremony.

White coat ceremony my *****. I didn't go to my high school grad, my college grad and I won't go to no white coat ceremony. Not because I am too cool, I just feel uncomfortable at venues like this, even if it is for my mom. I might sound like an ******* stuck up prick, but in all honesty I am just too uncomfortable in situations where you are not really being modest and down to earth. Your celebrating something that was expected of you by your own self. Now on the other hand if you are comfortable with this stuff, jump on it.

As for me, I'll be happy to start skipping class the second it starts and studying on my own doing my own loner ways when school starts. I love people, but I hate premedders and their propensity to brag.

White coat ceremony my *****. I didn't go to my high school grad, my college grad and I won't go to no white coat ceremony. Not because I am too cool, I just feel uncomfortable at venues like this, even if it is for my mom. I might sound like an ******* stuck up prick, but in all honesty I am just too uncomfortable in situations where you are not really being modest and down to earth. Your celebrating something that was expected of you by your own self. Now on the other hand if you are comfortable with this stuff, jump on it.

As for me, I'll be happy to start skipping class the second it starts and studying on my own doing my own loner ways when school starts. I love people, but I hate premedders and their propensity to brag.

You love people, just not premedders, high school classmates, and fellow medical school students! That's a lot of exclussions for someone who claims to love "people." Also, you are there to support your fellow classmates, not just yourself.

You love people, just not premedders that like to brag and bitc#, high school classmates, and fellow medical school students! That's a lot of exclussions for someone who claims to love "people." Also, you are there to support your fellow classmates, not just yourself.

FIXED!

Do you love to brag? if not, I would have no problem hanging with you.

I'll make my vague exclusions a little more specific for you. I only hate the arrogant ones that want to tell me they got an A on their organic test and a 34 on their MCAT and what not in a pompous way. I would be racking the same grades but you never heard a peep from me or ever saw me in class. If you want to compete with me and show off, then I will just avoid you and get my grades on my own terms. Thats all, no more no less, I just hate boasting and bitching about how hard things are.

Look up stoicism

FIXED!

Do you love to brag? if not, I would have no problem hanging with you.

I'll make my vague exclusions a little more specific for you. I only hate the arrogant ones that want to tell me they got an A on their organic test and a 34 on their MCAT and what not in a pompous way. I would be racking the same grades but you never heard a peep from me or ever saw me in class. If you want to compete with me and show off, then I will just avoid you and get my grades on my own terms. Thats all, no more no less, I just hate boasting and bitching about how hard things are.

Look up stoicism

Okay, sounds like you have had some bad experiences that justify how you feel. I have been fortunate enough to run into very few premeds that are that pompous, probably due to the fact that I attended a third tier state school where very few people actually get accepted into medical school.

I think you really should go to the ceremony. Life is short and experiences like this don't come very often.

White coat ceremony should be at the end of the first two years, it would seem to me that that make more sense.

Aw come on, that stereotype coming from someone outside the field would be okay, but from a fellow peer? It's not like you're one of a kind...If you're normal, there must other normals out there too that aren't stuck up and overly competitive. I have been surprised to see a lot of normal pre-meds on the interview trail, and the ones from my Ugrad are mostly cool as well.

Last edited:

i was relieved to see that there's no chance that we'll be classmates

what you're describing isn't modesty and is in fact the exact opposite

i'm assuming from this that u will also not attend your own wedding?

...oh and i never realized that i was being a pretentious a-hole by attending class

...oh and i never realized that i was being a pretentious a-hole by attending class

:thumbup::thumbup:

I don't understand why this is such a PITA to some people. Honestly, suck it up. Do this for your parents. Even if they didn't help you worth a lick, this is a great time for them to be proud. You should be proud too. The short white coat = medical student and 3rd year medical student = "dumb." It sucks we won't know anything, but no one is at that point in the game when white coats are given out. Soak up the moment and realize, wow, I did something that not many people do. Hardly anyone knows on the outside what hell you went through to get where you are. Atleast take this praise, pomp, and circumstance and savor it before the pain begins. For those of you looking forward to your White Coat Ceremony, good!
quoting myself so I don't have to type again

I think you really should go to the ceremony. Life is short and experiences like this don't come very often.

White coat ceremony should be at the end of the first two years, it would seem to me that that make more sense.

:thumbup: I kind of like that idea!!!

But when?...since not everyone takes their boards at the same time

I can not wait for my white coat ceremony! It is going to be a gang of fun, especially since I am 1 of the only 2 who have even went to college, let alone graduate. And I am the only one in my family to go to medical school, so it is ceremonies like this that mean a lot to me and my entire family. I am truly a blessed man!

No you are so right, just because I don't feel at all comfortable going to a venue where everyone tells me what great things I have done in my so extraordinary life and vent about it in an anonymous forum, I become the arrogant rat. Well, since you have your definitions the way you do, I am happy we ain't at the same school either.

Oh and thanks for twisting my words about going to class. I don't learn in class, and if you do, to each his own.

No you are so right, just because I don't feel at all comfortable going to a venue where everyone tells me what great things I have done in my so extraordinary life and vent about it in an anonymous forum, I become the arrogant rat. Well, since you have your definitions the way you do, I am happy we ain't at the same school either.

Oh and thanks for twisting my words about going to class. I don't learn in class, and if you do, to each his own.

you realize that in graduation all they do is call out your name as you walk across the stage and in the white coat ceremony you basically do the same thing. noone is going to mention any accomplishments and everyone is there for the exact same reason so it's not like you are showing off!

and this is what you said about going to class:

I would be racking the same grades but you never heard a peep from me or ever saw me in class.

i think my interpretation is completely valid ...you make it sound like people go to class to show off

i like how you ignored my question about skipping your own wedding :p

Getting through college and into medical school are two things done in an extraordinary life, and if you don't think so, then you deeply underestimate the value of both. Going or not going to these kinds of celebrations is not about who has a greater depth of humility or character, because it's not about self-aggrandizement. It's about the entire community that helped you to get to where you are, so that they can have a tangible outcome - closure, if you will. I will never in my life forget the look on my husband's face when I received my diploma. It was his accomplishment, too.

S.

PS - My kids are going to their graduations (and white-coat ceremonies, if they go that route). Otherwise, they will face the deeeeeep disappointment of their long suffering mother, which will scar them for life. :smuggrin:

i didnt feel like graduating from college was that big of a deal, so i couldnt be bothered with some drawn out ceremony celebrating something that didn't really require much effort IMO. similarly, being recognized before starting medical schools seems a little like jumping the gun.

but i walked, and ill do whitecoat for mom and dad, because i know it will make them happy, and they deserve that.

In my opinion, its just a big phony show of grabass. "Oh yippie, lets pretend like the fantasy world of medical school, with all their philosophizing about 'making a difference', is going to mean anything when we really step out into the real world."

You know, I agree with you but I think you should go to the White Coat ceremony because these things have become traditional like Match Day and the Ceremonial Burning of the Short White Coat (the one they gave you at the White Coat Ceremony) during the last days of fourth year.

You will, indeed, feel like a big cheesy ****** in your spankin' new white coat and henceforth nothing in the way you are used by the attendings, residents, nurses, clerks, and janitors will alter this feeling. And they will make stupid speeches about how we have to help the Holy Underserved by subsidizing their medical care so they won't have to dip into their beer and cigarette money for the plastic surgery for a mangled hand incurred while smoking 'meth and snowmobiling at 3AM.

And you'll take the by-now ridiculous Hippocratic Oath that has been altered so many times that, whereas at one time it forbade abortion, now probably enjoins us to give reverance and allegience to the Sun God, Ra-Obama and his pantheon of Undergods Who Will Fix Health Care and Bring About Heaven on Earth While Aborting as Many Uterine Parasites as Possible Amen.

And yet, as I am now into the double digits in days left of my residency I look back over the last eight years at the sacrifices I have made; my marriage, my relationship with my children, my health, and at all the things I have endured from petty humilation to extreme sleep deprivation to working while on call with an IV in my arm for a liter or two of fluid (and at what other job in America would you even consider working if you were so sick you needed IV fluids) and I am glad I went to the stupid ceremony. It forms a sort of prologue to my story, a dim memory from a time when I had not seen some of the truly bizarre things that are routine in the world of American medicine.

i didnt feel like graduating from college was that big of a deal, so i couldnt be bothered with some drawn out ceremony celebrating something that didn't really require much effort IMO. similarly, being recognized before starting medical schools seems a little like jumping the gun.

but i walked, and ill do whitecoat for mom and dad, because i know it will make them happy, and they deserve that.

I didn't go to my college graduation as I have no loyalty whatsoever to what is, once you strip away all of the pretty buildings and sports, just a business relationship. But trust me, medical school graduation and even the idiotic White Coat Ceremony is more significant.

You know, I agree with you but I think you should go to the White Coat ceremony because these things have become traditional like Match Day and the Ceremonial Burning of the Short White Coat (the one they gave you at the White Coat Ceremony) during the last days of fourth year.

You will, indeed, feel like a big cheesy ****** in your spankin' new white coat and henceforth nothing in the way you are used by the attendings, residents, nurses, clerks, and janitors will alter this feeling. And they will make stupid speeches about how we have to help the Holy Underserved by subsidizing their medical care so they won't have to dip into their beer and cigarette money for the plastic surgery for a mangled hand incurred while smoking 'meth and snowmobiling at 3AM.

And you'll take the by-now ridiculous Hippocratic Oath that has been altered so many times that, whereas at one time it forbade abortion, now probably enjoins us to give reverance and allegience to the Sun God, Ra-Obama and his pantheon of Undergods Who Will Fix Health Care and Bring About Heaven on Earth While Aborting as Many Uterine Parasites as Possible Amen.

And yet, as I am now into the double digits in days left of my residency I look back over the last eight years at the sacrifices I have made; my marriage, my relationship with my children, my health, and at all the things I have endured from petty humilation to extreme sleep deprivation to working while on call with an IV in my arm for a liter or two of fluid (and at what other job in America would you even consider working if you were so sick you needed IV fluids) and I am glad I went to the stupid ceremony. It forms a sort of prologue to my story, a dim memory from a time when I had not seen some of the truly bizarre things that are routine in the world of American medicine.

good show, sir. :thumbup:

I didn't go to my college graduation as I have no loyalty whatsoever to what is, once you strip away all of the pretty buildings and sports, just a business relationship. But trust me, medical school graduation and even the idiotic White Coat Ceremony is more significant.

will do.