White Coat Fight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Portier

DO me....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember there was a thread a while back that was a discussion over who should get to wear white coats, what should be on them, and who should get called, "Doctor."

This is only my experience, which only represents a hair of the possibilities out there, but....

At Mercy North Iowa, if you wear a white coat they assume you're either a doctor or a nursing instructor. Nursing instructors tend to look more "nursey" and spend more time doing things like chasing patient trays, and talking to lots of young ladies in smocks.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter HERE what you have on your coat. I could have, "This guy is a jacka$$" on my coat, and they'd still come up to me while I'm reading computer notes and tell me EF's from Echo's and whatnot.

PT's here also wear white coats, but they spend most of their time walking old people or asking them to swallow so they can watch.

I think the white coat rules don't matter so much, and no matter how many time you tell patients and staff you're a med student, they still call you "doctor." Conversely, no matter how many times you tell patients you're a Docor of WHATEVER, unless you're a pill pusher or a cutter....you're not a doctor.

FUN!

Members don't see this ad.

Portier said:
I remember there was a thread a while back that was a discussion over who should get to wear white coats, what should be on them, and who should get called, "Doctor."

This is only my experience, which only represents a hair of the possibilities out there, but....

At Mercy North Iowa, if you wear a white coat they assume you're either a doctor or a nursing instructor. Nursing instructors tend to look more "nursey" and spend more time doing things like chasing patient trays, and talking to lots of young ladies in smocks.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter HERE what you have on your coat. I could have, "This guy is a jacka$$" on my coat, and they'd still come up to me while I'm reading computer notes and tell me EF's from Echo's and whatnot.

PT's here also wear white coats, but they spend most of their time walking old people or asking them to swallow so they can watch.

I think the white coat rules don't matter so much, and no matter how many time you tell patients and staff you're a med student, they still call you "doctor." Conversely, no matter how many times you tell patients you're a Docor of WHATEVER, unless you're a pill pusher or a cutter....you're not a doctor.
FUN!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So how do you classify radiologists then? Would you say that they are a "sont-a-meter" away from being a doctor?

There like a hybrid lawyer-doctor - not really doctors, but they get paid a hell of a lot. And they live in their own little dens. Like bears.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was making a joke out of the pronunciation that I have only heard from radiologists: "sont-a-meter" Sorry for the poor attempt at humor (my wife always tells me that I shouldn't try to be funny).

I was making a joke out of the pronunciation that I have only heard from radiologists: "sont-a-meter" Sorry for the poor attempt at humor (my wife always tells me that I shouldn't try to be funny).

krayj36 said:

I got the joke...it's funny! But it's funny in a "push-my-glasses-up-on-my-nose" kinda' way.

Portier said:

Watch it buddy, you're tredding on PC incorrect (and sounding a bit full of one's self).

Dotsero said:
Portier said:

Watch it buddy, you're tredding on PC incorrect (and sounding a bit full of one's self).

Allow me to clarify and amplify my previous statement...specifically this part, "Conversely, no matter how many times you tell patients you're a Docor of WHATEVER, unless you're a pill pusher or a cutter....you're not a doctor."

It would read better as "unless you're a pill pusher or a cutter...to patients you are not a doctor." This discussion entertains the perceptions of the average high school educated patient. A doctor is a FP, IM, Surgeon, or any of the related specialties....radiology, etc.

Since they've never been to college most of them don't know you call PhD's doctor....or that if you get a doctorate (huh?) in a topic you are also called doctor. To the average patient if you're in a white coat, and talk to them about pills, disease, or cutting you're a doctor. If you talk to them about anything else, you're not.

And I always walk the line..... :)

krayj36 said:
Actually, thw Cont-o-meter thing is quite common... especially in the research-types. Personally I think it's ridiculous when people pronounce it like that... if you went to school in America ou learned it being pronounced just as it's spelled... CENTIMETER. Why people have to change the way they pronounce things once they reach a certain point in their education is beyond me... just be real... just be you... just say CENTIMETER!

SONTameter. umbaLIKEus (umbilicus). You get the double-whammy and some doctors will use both in the same sentence, when you're measuring pregnant bellies in PD lab. When the rest of their speech is tinged with a mid-western twang... and then they get all sophisticated for TWO WORDS of the sentence... it kind of makes me want to throw my pregnancy-wheel at them. :D

Also, Coal-on (okay, the prof who uses that one isn't from the states).