White coat question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so this is a dumb question, but my white coat is henous...at least on me. I've got big shoulders, big hips, and the only coat size that fit was large. Of course, I'm envious of all the tiny girls in my class that can fit into petit feminine size coats. So my question is whether or not I should take my white coat to a seamstress to have it fit. Would it stand out and therefore look worse?
Please reply, I am a big time nerd with absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever!

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say, and take this as impersonally as possible, is to stop being so insecure about it. The more you fret and discuss your displeasure, the more your situation will stand out. If this is the first sign you have shown about it, then sure, get the thing tailored. But, if you have already made it a point to your class mates that you are unhappy with the look, the more negative attention you will draw to yourself.

The bigger it is, the more stuff you can fit in the pockets later without the sides flipping up due to being over stuffed.

My mom had my white coat taken in by a seamstress to fit me better. I still don't look any better because they're unflattering on everyone, but at least I'm not swimming in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I don't get it - are you saying it is too big for you?
Just ask the school for a smaller size!
Or live with it - no one looks like a fashion queen in a white coat!

All I can say, and take this as impersonally as possible, is to stop being so insecure about it. The more you fret and discuss your displeasure, the more your situation will stand out. If this is the first sign you have shown about it, then sure, get the thing tailored. But, if you have already made it a point to your class mates that you are unhappy with the look, the more negative attention you will draw to yourself.

Ill echo this thought! Also to me, one of the big differences between male and female.. Is something like this..EVERYthing is a big deal to women.. Just my opinion..

Don't listen to the other posters in this thread.

YOU have to wear the thing all the time. Having it tailored would cost $30 max (even that sounds high).

Come on, that's less that one night out on the town with friends. And you are going to forgo it and wear a jacket that doesn't fit for years on end? It's up to you...

thanks, that was easy! I'll spend the $30 on it! As mentioned by Ashers, I won't be miss america, but at least I won't be swimming in it.

And by the way...why is it that the nursing jackets I'd wear over scrubs in the winter fit better than the stupid white coat? I mean common! Did the MD's have to go and re-invent the wardrobe simply b/c their MD's and not nurses?
OK, just a rant, i know the physician came first, and a lot of people are pissed that nurses even wear white coats.:rolleyes:

Mine fit me like a tent at the white coat ceremony, but I'm glad I had the extra room now that I have 10 pounds of crap stuck in it.

thanks, that was easy! I'll spend the $30 on it! As mentioned by Ashers, I won't be miss america, but at least I won't be swimming in it.

And by the way...why is it that the nursing jackets I'd wear over scrubs in the winter fit better than the stupid white coat? I mean common! Did the MD's have to go and re-invent the wardrobe simply b/c their MD's and not nurses?
OK, just a rant, i know the physician came first, and a lot of people are pissed that nurses even wear white coats.:rolleyes:

I had the sleeves hemmed on mine. Wasn't worth the 10 bucks since I hate the POS and rarely wear it, but do what you feel comfortable doing. Nobody is going to care that you had your white coat taken in.

because of my size, the arms on my white coat are pretty short on me. I thought about changing it, or buying a bigger size but then I came to the conclusions that I will only be dealing with this thing for 2 years really, and then after that I will never wear a short white coat again. I say stick it out until you get a different coat for residency.

Our practice buys standard 100% cotton long white coats cut for women (loose belt in back). Our female staff then have their coats tailored, mainly having darts applied in the back to take out the bulk.

While I haven't gotten my white coat yet, I would definitely consider getting it tailored if the way it fit was way off. I assume I will not be able to tell if it doesn't fit perfectly or not and wont care.

You will have to wear it intensely for two years and for me during some of 1st and 2nd year so why not make it fit?

What year are you? If you're MS1 or MS2 then chances are that you barely wear your coat right now, so its not like everyone has had a chance to "get used to it" how it looks. And even if you are in your 3rd year you probably don't see many ppl from your class, and those that you do see probably won't remember what it looked like from the beginning. I got the sleeves on my coat shortened a bit after making it known to everyone standing around me when we were handed the coat in the beginning that it was waay to big. Its no big deal and theres no reason why you shouldn't do it since you're going to be wearing it a lot at some point and you want it to fit well and look okay on you.

The "fitted" coats on shows like House and Grey's Anatomy may look nice and I'm sure thats where people get their idea of what you should look like. But reality for a med student is that your coat is going to be crammed with junk so it's better to have one thats too big. Because nothing looks worse then a tight white coat with bulging pockets of junk. May as well have the whole thing oversized so you at least look proportional.

I agree that it's better to have one that's too big. Also, if you really hate it, check out allheart.com and just order a fitted one in the right size. Don't pay to have it tailored. It's not worth it. When rotations roll around, it will inevitably be ruined somehow and you'll end up buying a new one (in fact, I most people I know own at least 3). It will get dirty, or bloody, or you'll get ink or it, or something.

And you are going to forgo it and wear a jacket that doesn't fit for years on end? It's up to you...

Years on end??!! Hardly. We get another one after 2nd year, and even if you don't, you barely wear the thing until 3rd year.

Still, if you really want to spend the money on it - go ahead if it will make you feel better.

Last edited: