white coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownrice

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

im starting my physical diagnosis class this quarter and because we're going to have patient contact they are requiring us to purchase short white coats. i was wondering if anyone knows of a good website to purchase nice coats for not a lot of $$. thanks a bunch!

BR

Members don't see this ad.

You go to a school in Calif., man what cheap school is that? I thought they all had white coat ceremonies where they were given out.

Originally posted by What the pho
You go to a school in Calif., man what cheap school is that? I thought they all had white coat ceremonies where they were given out.

check his profile, loma linda

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by brownrice
hey everyone,

im starting my physical diagnosis class this quarter and because we're going to have patient contact they are requiring us to purchase short white coats. i was wondering if anyone knows of a good website to purchase nice coats for not a lot of $$. thanks a bunch!

BR

Buy a white coat in a physcial store where you can try it on. Make sure it's big enough to be comfortable (looks will not matter after wearing the thing 8 straight hours), and has pockets big enough to hold a Farrie's handbook, or a wrapped up stethescope. A little loop in one pocket to hold your reflex hammer would be nice too. You may want to sew in an extra liner in the breast pocket so your pens don't stain through to the outside of the coat. Just some wisdom gained from hard experience.

Also the material you choose is important. Lighter polyester type of material is and better for hot climates (although remember hospitals tend to be cold, but if you live in a hot area you will be wearing less underneath the coat). They might be better if you tend to get overheated wearing a coat. Cotton coats are better for cold climates, or people who are more sensitive to cold.

I've heard cotton is more expensive than polyester - for our school they made the second years buy cotton coats, but in our class the alumni bought us polyester type coats.

Buying a good stethoscope is also somehting to think about.