White Coats... it should work this time!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kltmd, Nov 21, 2002.

1. kltmd

kltmd Member
    7+ Year Member

Yesterday my class had our White Coat Ceremony. At first I thought it was kinda cheesy, but it turned out to be lots of fun... and a good excuse to break out the cameras and take pictures of our first time looking professional! It was nice to have our families around too. Do most schools have ceremonies like this, or is it unique to mine??

Now to live up to the honor of the coat...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The White Coat ceremony is pretty commonplace nowadays. First started at Columbia by Arnold Gold, who I believe was a neurologist. Takes place in most med schools I know, and in most osteopathic schools I've heard of.

Congratulations and good luck.

4. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Membership Revoked
    Removed

Personally I dont think much of the white coat ceremony... I'd like it better if they did it at graduation. I think it would have more significance at that time. Yes, I know technically we're seeing patients in med school but still it seems more appropriate to have the hippocratic oath, white coat, and graduation ceremony all rolled into one.

5. S.c. Cdc28p

S.c. Cdc28p Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats. It must have been a special occasion for you... My school held the ceremony during orientation.

I do think it's appropriate to have the white coat ceremony when we start med school, instead of when we graduate. Med students are considered colleagues of physicians, and since we do get to see patients, we should be aware of all the responsibilities of wearing the white coat.

6. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

I have to agree that I like the idea of having the white coat ceremony at the beginning of school as a symbol of the fact that you are taking the first steps on the serious path to becoming a physician. While you are more qualified at the end of school, you still have a lot to learn, - at that point you have earnt the 'title' dr, but it's not as much of a 'transformation'...

of course not having done either I may be completely off ;)

7. jlb102

jlb102 Member
    7+ Year Member

FYI, Arnold Gold IS a pediatric neurologist, no past tense about it, and a damn fine one at that in addition to being a great person.
    The version of the hippocratic oath that is recited during the ceremony is slightly different from the official version that is generally recited at graduation.
    Also, the Gold Foundation is currently experimenting with a ceremony between second and third year known as a clinical transition ceremony, the last few here (P&S) have gone quite nicely and we are getting better at them.
    Naturally, there is no replacement for graduation when you are first addressed as Dr., and then called upon to receive your highly sought after diploma.
    JB

8. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that White Coat is actually more for your family and friends to have an official moment to be proud of you. I remember seeing that the students didn't think too much of it, but all the people who came to the ceremony to see their loved ones were so happy about the accomplishment of getting in to med school.

It also makes sense that you would have White Coat at the beginning of your training since you'll be wearing the thing throughout your 4 years.

9. tega

tega Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

nope..did not attend mine.....was to ***** go anywyz. so i just dspent the ight with wifey...went to bar to later tht night to celebrate

10. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow congrats! I remember the feeling.

We had our white coat ceremony like 5 months ago.