White Coats!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlax30

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm now "official"!! :D

Just had our white coat ceremony today for the 2011 class. Had the fam there, and it was of course cheesy, but all in all it was nice seeing everyone smiling about something so simple as a white coat and all excited to show off to family and friends while taking at least a day break from the stresses of school. Tomorrow it's back to the books, but at least today was a decent little break.

Congrats to all those who've already had theirs or about to!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm now "official"!! :D

Just had our white coat ceremony today for the 2011 class. Had the fam there, and it was of course cheesy, but all in all it was nice seeing everyone smiling about something so simple as a white coat and all excited to show off to family and friends while taking at least a day break from the stresses of school. Tomorrow it's back to the books, but at least today was a decent little break.

Congrats to all those who've already had theirs or about to!

Congratulations... kinda odd that you had your white coat ceremony so late in the academic year though.

Congratulations... kinda odd that you had your white coat ceremony so late in the academic year though.

Yea, not so sure why. Several friends at other schools that had theirs during 1st semester. I guess they figure give it a semester to let everyone get settled in and that if you survived the 1st semester chances are you'll be sticking around......

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! On the plus side, now you have somewhere to stick all your clinical exam junk, on the down side, now you have something to forget on skill session days ;).

Yea, not so sure why. Several friends at other schools that had theirs during 1st semester. I guess they figure give it a semester to let everyone get settled in and that if you survived the 1st semester chances are you'll be sticking around......

At NYCOM we have our white coat ceremony at the END of the 2nd year :eek:

However, we get cheapo white coats to use for our patient encounter labs during orientation.

Congratulations to everyone as well.

We had ours on the 12th and it was very well done, imo. My class' suspicion for it being so late is because POMA gives us the coats and Littman cardio IIIs, and our school gives us a book, so by second semester they aren't giving out free stuff to people that drop out for whatever reason.

Congratulations to everyone as well.

We had ours on the 12th and it was very well done, imo. My class' suspicion for it being so late is because POMA gives us the coats and Littman cardio IIIs, and our school gives us a book, so by second semester they aren't giving out free stuff to people that drop out for whatever reason.

Congrats. I should have held out for more "free" stuff down here! FOMA does provide our white coats though.

Congrats to you. I know some people say it wasnt a special thing for them. I do remember getting mine and putting it on for the first time. It was a special moment for me.

Hey congrats everyone...but wait until rotations...you'll be sick to death of the short coat...it's like wearing a kick-me sign.

"Hey you...yeah, you...I don't know your name because it doesn't matter. Go get me some lasagna."

...but until then, enjoy.

At NYCOM we have our white coat ceremony at the END of the 2nd year :eek:

However, we get cheapo white coats to use for our patient encounter labs during orientation.

2nd year!!! WOW!! thats way out there!!! wow! but its all good i guess.

I thought ours at VCOM was late...we had on Dec 1st.

Whats the deal w/ the short coats? Is that just a DO thing? I've seen a few MD students w/ long coats, so I know it's not just a student thing. ???

Whats the deal w/ the short coats? Is that just a DO thing? I've seen a few MD students w/ long coats, so I know it's not just a student thing. ???

No, not just a DO thing. Medical students always start out with short coats. When you are standing by a group of doctors with lab coats, the one with the longest coat is probably the one in charge. Its sort of a ranking system.

No, not just a DO thing. Medical students always start out with short coats. When you are standing by a group of doctors with lab coats, the one with the longest coat is probably the one in charge. Its sort of a ranking system.

Right, that's what I thought initially. But, for example I know Nova and LECOM-B students get coats that are really short... almost waist level... and I've seen a couple UF and FSU students with coats closer to the knees. Not a big deal... I was just curious...

There is a great line about the length of ones coat in the book The House of God. How the head of the hospital's coat swept the floor. Everyone should read that book...

Yea, ours are definitely short coats. It just varies. Just saw a video on youtube from FSU's ceremony and they looked to be long coats, so it all depends. Have even seen some threads about some residencies having the interns or even certain hospitals/programs where everyone has a short coat.