White man applying to black medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScatmanCrothers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to the "historically black" medical schools, such as Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard, but, despite my handle, I am extremely white. On their websites, these schools have very politically correct, vague statements saying they are historically black, but accept students of all types, and blah blah blah, but before wasting $200 applying to them, I want to get a realistic idea of what my chances are.

My stats are: cGPA: ~3.2, sGPA~3.0 MCAT: 36
1 year research experience without getting my name on any publications
1 year working as a scribe in 2 different ED's
1 year working as a counselor at a psychiatric center
just started volunteering as a scribe at a non-profit healthcare clinic in an underserved area
also have some pretty unique life experiences mentioned in my statement, as well as some pretty stellar letters of recommendation

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Meharry School of Medicine's mission statement is pretty clear: "The School of Medicine of Meharry Medical College pledges to offer a unique, quality, health science education to students of diverse origins, especially African Americans, with emphasis on addressing underserved populations."

To be blunt, you should save the $200 if you're only interested in applying to Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse because your GPA is low. These schools have acceptance statistics that are lower than non-HBCs because they are committed to serving students who do not always have social or financial privileges that are conducive to high GPAs.

Reactions: 1 users
First off, ~25% of students at these schools are white or Asian. Being black isn't necessarily part of the mission.

Being dedicated - and having extensively demonstrated that dedication - to working to improve the healthcare access to low-income/minority individuals is an essential part of the mission. We're talking long-term, heavily-involved in multiple projects, potentially as early as high school. Doesn't look like this is a feature of your application.

Save yourself the cash. Also, as a gentle suggestion, you should be looking at SMPs or DO programs rather than MD programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you looking at applying at these schools?

If the reason is "look at how low the average GPA and MCAT are" then don't bother.

Reactions: 2 users
Got it

I am applying primarily to D.O. schools due to my low GPA, but just noticed those specific MD schools also have lower GPA statistics, so I was curious.

Thanks for the info guys! You saved me $200 :)

Got it

I am applying primarily to D.O. schools due to my low GPA, but just noticed those specific MD schools also have lower GPA statistics, so I was curious.

Thanks for the info guys! You saved me $200 :)

I'm a white dude who got into Meharry, so it's definitely possible. You just really have to be ready to state your interest in the underserved.