White or colored shirt for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnle119

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what people (mainly talking to the guys here) wore to their interviews in terms of shirt color. I know white is the traditional and conservative color, but is it appropriate to be a little creative and wear a nice colored shirt instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Solid color shirts are fine IMHO. I'd stay away from colors like red or emerald green, however. :)

white, blue, possibly a light pink.
solid colors only.
my recipe for looking jiggy

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the light pink is straight up pimp. on a dark blue suit... jigga what?
p

Is white standard? That's what my friends have been wearing for consulting/i-banking interviews, but they like even more conformity sometimes than med schools.

You could always wear the blue shirt with a white collar, like Lumbergh. ;)

It all depends. If I know some chick's going to interview me, I always go with the colored shirt. If it's a dude, then the whites come out. If I don't know, then I roll the dice and hope for the best. Hope this helps

What about the suits? Is a black suit too conservative?

if you wear a black suit, please do not wear a white shirt underneath and look like a waiter!

Navy suit, white shirt. I thought conservative was the most appropriate.

don't forget the hunter green accesory explosivo recommends!

Originally posted by Random Access
Is white standard? That's what my friends have been wearing for consulting/i-banking interviews, but they like even more conformity sometimes than med schools.

You could always wear the blue shirt with a white collar, like Lumbergh. ;)

Hey, I wore one of those to my last interview.

So if you could just go ahead and be quiet? that would be great, MmmmmKay? Thanks.

:p

May I sneak in a girlie question:

FINGERNAIL polish or not? and what color?

Actually, some clear nail polish wouldn't look so bad. I'm wearing it right now on my pinkies (my niece took the liberty of painting them over the weekend) and they look pretty nice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks pnle...i've been trying to get in for a french manicure at my manicurist but she's booked. For my nubs a french manicure is very subtle.

Guess I'll stick with the clear!

Originally posted by LoveDoc
May I sneak in a girlie question:

FINGERNAIL polish or not? and what color?

Ever so tempted to write... "1 loser/1 post"...

But I'm above that. Really.

Thanks pnle...i've been trying to get in for a french manicure at my manicurist but she's booked. For my nubs a french manicure is very subtle.

I was being a little bit sarcastic since I'm a guy and we guys don't normally wear nail polish. But hey, if you found what I said to be helpful, then I'm glad I could help. :)

that is some funny ishk.
p

What's wrong w/ a black suit and a white shirt? Does it really matter, as long as you look professional?

Originally posted by Chemguync
What's wrong w/ a black suit and a white shirt? Does it really matter, as long as you look professional?

This is how most of my friends have been dressing for i-banking/consulting, so I don't see a problem with it.

I hate french manicures. This really doesn't have much to do with anything, I just figured that I'd say it.
~AS1~

Originally posted by LoveDoc

Guess I'll stick with the clear!

Originally posted by pnle119
Just curious what people (mainly talking to the guys here) wore to their interviews in terms of shirt color. I know white is the traditional and conservative color, but is it appropriate to be a little creative and wear a nice colored shirt instead?

Be creative. Wear Hot Pink. :) You will really get noticed then!

Seriously, I wore white and sometimes light blue. Occasionally, striped.

I wore the white shirt last year(I'm a reapplicant). But I chose it for some reason against my instincts(which may be wrong). I searched this year and went with the conservative blue shirt and a nice, interesting(we're not talking looney tunes) tie. When I went to Men's warehouse their recommendations at first were pretty bad. I mean I FELT it wasn't me. And I'm sorry, but this is really the last step in a long process, and I just can't misrepresent myself at this point. AMCAS did enough of that.

It all depends on the suit. If you're going with something double breasted, or a really conservative single breast cut, you can afford to wear a very light blue shirt, light cream, light gray .....

Otherwise, I'd stick to white. You can kind of mix it up with the belt/shoes and go with a reddish color rather than the black, though

Ive been wearing a white shirt with a maroon tie along with navy suit...i think for a nay suit you want to go with either white or a light blue shirt...dont wear a dark blue shirt or else you blend in too much with the suit....so wear either white or light blue and also a tie that isnt too loud...i chose maroon/dark red b/c it isnt too loud, but at the same I will stick out to the interviewer...just my 2 cents.

I've gone to three interviews and have been very conservative. Black suit, white shirt, black and white tie. Granted, I look like a drug rep without the drugs, or a funeral home director. But I don't think anybody is going to be distracted by my clothes. My shoes, however, I put a spit shine on. Hey, 4 years in a military academy taught me something! I went to an ettiquette and image dinner, and the consultant mentioned that many CEOs and business people in power really have a thing for shined shoes. Don't know if adcoms do, but I like wearing a shine.

Re: nail polish. I'm a guy, so I really don't know. I think I've seen women wearing either none, or clear. None of my female interviewers wore any, so I'd avoid colored nail polish. Just my thought.