Who Accepts DO Transfers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-ManMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which allopathic schools accept DO transfers? I'm in a situation where I can only complete MD rotations, and my DO school won't approve them. I'm assuming an MD school would approve these rotations and now I"m looking at transferring. It's going to require a lot of leg work,so I"m turning to you for help, to see if any of you know which allopathic schools take osteopathic transfers.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't think any of them do, because of the differences in coursework in the first two years and all that. Not sure if anyone else knows for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible.

Sorry.

I know two students from my school who transferred to LSU and Baylor College of Medicine. I know it's possible, I just don't know who else does it. If anyone else has any anecdotal info that would help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Elysium said:
I really don't think any of them do, because of the differences in coursework in the first two years and all that. Not sure if anyone else knows for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible.

Sorry.
I guess this is sarcasm. :rolleyes:

To the OP-
You could have done a search here...or you can check out the lists at AAMC.org. Go to the medical student section and look up transfers.

fuegorama said:
I guess this is sarcasm. :rolleyes:

To the OP-
You could have done a search here...or you can check out the lists at AAMC.org. Go to the medical student section and look up transfers.

Actually, no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I thought that because DO schools were accredited by a different body and took the COMLEX that it wasn't possibe to transfer. I'm a DO student and I briefly looked into transferring but didn't get too far. I assume you would only be able to transfer after second year, after you have passed the COMLEX. Let me know if you find out about MD schools that would accept DO students.

Elysium said:
Actually, no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I thought that because DO schools were accredited by a different body and took the COMLEX that it wasn't possibe to transfer. I'm a DO student and I briefly looked into transferring but didn't get too far. I assume you would only be able to transfer after second year, after you have passed the COMLEX. Let me know if you find out about MD schools that would accept DO students.
The undergraduate medical training is identical when comparing the two accreditation bodies.
AOA schools also train their students in Osteopathic Medical Manipulation.
The boards of licensure of all 50 states recognize the degree holders of MD or DO as sufficient to apply for licensure as fully priveledged physicians.
If you want out-
http://services.aamc.org/tsp_report...=24432fc-09832a5f-e245-47c5-ab4e-a25b86af723d

I am not sure which schools accept D.O. transfers except for Wayne State University. I am guessing you might have to look at each school you are interested in switching to separately. At Wayne State, they look for students with gpa's and MCAT scores that are comparable to those of their own students, you need three letters of recommendations including one from the dean of your med school.

Interesting. I don't want to leave DO school, but wanted to be closer to my boyfriend, whose state doesn't have a DO school. That's all.

Here's the schools that have a policy of accepting osteopathic students. Whether they've actually accepted osteopathic students is another story:

University of South Alabama, Loma Linda, Yale, George Washington, Finch/Rosalind Franklin/CMS, U of illinois, Southern Illinois, LSU, Wayne State, East Carolina, U Nebraska, UMDNJ-Robert Wood, U New Mexico, U @ Buffalo, SUNY Upstate, Wright State, Northeastern, Temple, MCP Hahnemann/Drexel, U Central Caribe.

For example:
http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/report.cfm?inst_id=172
http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/report.cfm?inst_id=180
http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/report.cfm?inst_id=137

But don't get your hopes up because many of them have very specific policies, e.g., in-state residency and/or extreme circumstances. Also, I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be to ask your osteopathic professors to write you recommendations so that you can transfer to an allo school :D

J-ManMed said:
Does anyone know which allopathic schools accept DO transfers? I'm in a situation where I can only complete MD rotations, and my DO school won't approve them. I'm assuming an MD school would approve these rotations and now I"m looking at transferring. It's going to require a lot of leg work,so I"m turning to you for help, to see if any of you know which allopathic schools take osteopathic transfers.

Thanks for your help!!!!

I am currently in process of transferring from a DO school to the U. of Nebraska, but I can tell you that your reason for transferring will not be enough. You also have to have approval from your Dean before the school you want to transfer to will even look at your application. For the U. of Nebraska you also need to be a resident of the state or have dire circumstances. Good luck in your endeavor. It is not easy, but it is possible.

Although technically possible, it is highly unlikely.

Just out of curiosity, I don't ever plan on doing it, but how did you get up the nerve to ask your dean, what did you say?

Doc 2b said:
Just out of curiosity, I don't ever plan on doing it, but how did you get up the nerve to ask your dean, what did you say?

You asking me or the OP?

I think one thing we have all learned is that we can realize anything we put our efforts into.

Elysium said:

Sorry.
obviously you know little of DO school coursework. To what differences are you referring to?

Elysium said:
Sorry. please disregard the former reply. I am a DO student as well and with the exception of OMM, there is very little difference between allopathic and osteopathic coursework in the first two years of study.

medstud2 said:
obviously you know little of DO school coursework. To what differences are you referring to?

Considering she's a DO student, I think she's knowledgeable. DO students take OMM courses and don't usually take a biostats course, for example.

Overall, the differences aren't huge, but each school has curriculum requirements which may or may not be met by the original school.

Doc 2b said:

I just simply explained my circumstances (death in the family) and she was more than receptive. I was quite suprised to be honest with you. I didn't think my school would like the idea of me trying to transfer from a DO school to an MD school, but I met little resistance and she wrote me the letter of approval.

The biggest down side is having to take the USMLE on May 17th, when the last day of classes is May 14th. It makes for a lot of work trying to study for classes and boards at the same time.