Who are the bigger geeks/dorks/nerds, etc. ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who are the bigger dorks?

• Engineering Students

Votes: 164 71.6%
  • Pre-Med Students

Votes: 65 28.4%

• Total voters

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which set of students tend to be more socially inept as a whole? Before you answer, take tabs on what you do on weekends, realize that your break from studying involves logging on to SDN to talk about studying, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

I tend to think that engineering students work harder than science students. Just my opinion.

I'm both. I can tell you engineers are probably worse. Half of the premeds won't make it, and those kids are usually TOO social :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to a school that's 80% engineers. As the rare non-engineering type, they have it far worse off than the rest of us!

Why do I fall into both categories? From experience, I would definitely have to say engineering.

most definitely pre-med students

from experience with my OWN SCHOOL (and this does not apply to everyone so dont bash me for this), premeds are way more cut throat and engineers are way more laid back when it comes to grades. the ENGs know that they dont require as good grades as premeds do in order to land a job. we dont fight for every point taken off, the majority of us wont attend office hours unless we really need to, and if we have the time, we do have fun on the weekends. :thumbup:

the ENGs at BU are a social network amongst themselves already :D

It's all relative.

Personally, I know a few engineers here and there. I think that some (NOT ALL) engineers tend to play the martyr role a bit much, as though the 7 textbooks on their desks are responsible for their having nothing to do on Friday nights except for eating Pop Tarts and finding the g of f of x.

TomWestmanRules said:
finding the g of f of x.

I found that once. Took two weeks to clear up. Burned like hell.

I'm an engineering pre-med student. I'm definitely a nerd. And I'm cooler than you.

My favorite in college (I wasn't a pre-med then! Just a regular science nerdette) was watching the pre-meds PRETEND to be friends with each other.

Its like they were only nice or civil to each other so they could be in each other's business, or get to study with the "smartest" person or whatever, not like they wanted to be actual friends, no no, they just wanted to be able to share test scores and notes and have pissing contests in the quad.

As a member of both worlds, I have to say us enginerds pale in competitiveness next to premeds. Engineers (minus BMEs) survive on group work and true comraderie at my school. Sure the premeds in general are more extroverted and social, but this largely seems a ploy to better be able to bury that dagger in someone else's back. All I have to say is thank God I'm a chemical engineer; I couldn't have survived this past spring and all its pre-MCAT stress as a bio major.

Members don't see this ad :)
all the engineers i knew were huge partyers...in fact the ones i saw out at the bars the most tended to have the best grades. as for the pre-meds i saw at the bars...well, i didn't...they never left the library... :smuggrin:

Competitiveness and nerdiness aren't the same thing. Looking at my own experience starting out with engineering (and going to a school that was 60-70% engineers), engineers are nerdier. Now, competitiveness is a whole other story....

That said, I'm proud to be a geek :)

in my school,

premeds complain about studying on friday nights

engineers actually study on friday nights

I think there's a difference between nerds, geeks, and dorks. No joke, my boyfriend and I actually had a discussion about this.

We came to the conclusion that geeks are those who are REALLY into one particular thing (or a few things, but like, REALLY into them). Hence the term "computer geek." "Star-trek geek" would also work (and I'm talking about the kind that dresses up and goes to conventions). Geeks in general have poor social skills because they love this ONE thing so much that it's cultish and they don't hang out with a diverse group of people.

Nerds, on the other hand, are not socially inept. They may be quirky, but they're not focused on one particular subject. They are usually brainy. Importantly, Nerds also eventually assimilate themselve into the mainstream culture. This is how you get people who are not nerdy in appearance, but upon questioning, will confess to having an inner nerd, or once being a big nerd.

Dorks, on the other hand, are not necessarily brainy. Their defining characteristic is the lack of social flair, and in contrast to nerds and geeks, they don't even have the smarts as a backup.

So moral is-- don't be a dork.

the one we had trouble with was: Dweeb, but I think Dweeb may just be a dated version of dork.

Once you've mastered the definitions, it's fun to sit at a corner cafe with a friend and people-watch, and identify the aforementioned types....uh oh, does that make me a dork? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jbrice1639 said:
all the engineers i knew were huge partyers...in fact the ones i saw out at the bars the most tended to have the best grades. as for the pre-meds i saw at the bars...well, i didn't...they never left the library... :smuggrin:

Amen brother! I was out there on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays (well, as much as the Naval Academy would let me!). Then I'd have to pull an all-nighter on Sundays to get caught up. I busted my ass, but I made sure I had one helluva good time while doing it! Probably took a few extra years off my life in the process, but oh well!

geno2568 said:
in my school,

premeds complain about studying on friday nights

engineers actually study on friday nights

lol it's not like we CHOOSE to! it's because we actually NEED to.
last semester, every single time i handed in an assignment i had another one to start. it was quite depressing and i did have to lock myself in, i won't lie..

you'd think the phrase "you can always make time" applies to everyone :(

either way i don't consider myself a "nerd" as much as a "guy who needs to bust his ass so he doesn't fail" :D

BTW, I am also a nerd. I'm not ashamed to admit it! Haven't you seen "Revenge of the Nerds" anyways? Nerds can definitely party...and all the nerdy girls can tell ya...we make better lovers! :thumbup: :laugh:

It comes out to be the same. Engineering is so difficult that one needs to put in just as much time to JUST GET the average grades. The pre-med courses are not as difficult. Even the entering req's are more difficult for an engineering program let alone the actual eng courses.

ahumdinger said:
I think there's a difference between nerds, geeks, and dorks. No joke, my boyfriend and I actually had a discussion about this.

Alright, I would like to amend my previous statement based on these definitions: I am proud to be a nerd, perhaps not so much a geek ;)

ahumdinger said:

We came to the conclusion that geeks are those who are REALLY into one particular thing (or a few things, but like, REALLY into them). Hence the term "computer geek." "Star-trek geek" would also work (and I'm talking about the kind that dresses up and goes to conventions). Geeks in general have poor social skills because they love this ONE thing so much that it's cultish and they don't hang out with a diverse group of people.

Nerds, on the other hand, are not socially inept. They may be quirky, but they're not focused on one particular subject. They are usually brainy. Importantly, Nerds also eventually assimilate themselve into the mainstream culture. This is how you get people who are not nerdy in appearance, but upon questioning, will confess to having an inner nerd, or once being a big nerd.

Dorks, on the other hand, are not necessarily brainy. Their defining characteristic is the lack of social flair, and in contrast to nerds and geeks, they don't even have the smarts as a backup.

the one we had trouble with was: Dweeb, but I think Dweeb may just be a dated version of dork.

Once you've mastered the definitions, it's fun to sit at a corner cafe with a friend and people-watch, and identify the aforementioned types....uh oh, does that make me a dork? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TechTV back in the day always discussed this. A geek is evidently a person that is very into technology and stuff while a nerd is traditionally science with a bit of math. They cross over a lot but aren't required to be together. A dork is just well....kind of flakey and awkward. They were proud to be called geeks on techtv and even talked about classification levels from alpha geek on down with the different sub-types.

I think science majors OUTSIDE of pre-med are the bigger dorks. They are way into their experiments on physics, chemistry, etc. :p

geek/nerd/dork is relative on how you perceive and judge someone as well. Everyone has a little dorkiness in them, else you wouldn't be socializing on the internet :smuggrin:

Engineers. Why? Because I have twice now seen a student brushing his teeth in the engineering library bathroom. Why? Because they sleep there. I'm not joking.

The geekiest guy I know went to California for Engineering. :D

On our USNews profile, students from my ugrad actually said that their most common Friday evening activity was homework. In my personal experience, the pre-med classes were a joke, while engineering took work.

Engineers - generally more nerdy, geeky. By the way, don't confuse big drinkers with big partyers - when the average grade on the last Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics exam was a 40%, you need a little help from your friends. Friends like Capt. Morgan and J. Walker!

Amazingly, there were no pre-meds on my campus. The ones I've met are generally more outgoing and willing to party than my engineering classmates, but they are also more toxic. I believe the horror stories about them being so competitive that they'd ruin each other's chem experiments.

ahumdinger said:

Hey, that sums it up nicely :). I like to think I fall in the nerd category (but not nerdy in appearance) :laugh:.

ahumdinger said:

I thought a geek is someone who is good at something, as in have rediculous technical knowledge of something (usually computer or technology related). Not socially inept.

Nerd is someone good at something like a geek but also socially inept.

And dork is just someone who is socially inept. Period... but used more in a humorous sense...

What about premeds who hang out with the engineering students ;) *makes innocent face* not that I know anyone like that....

One of my best friends is an engineering student so I hang out with engineers a lot and I think that in both categories you have your nerds and your partiers. The prize for competitive definitely goes to premeds. the prize for Star Wars trivia definitely goes to the engineers. :thumbup:

Zoom-Zoom said:
Engineers. Why? Because I have twice now seen a student brushing his teeth in the engineering library bathroom. Why? Because they sleep there. I'm not joking.

I know lots of people not in engineering that do that.lol I've done it before during an all night project to try and get our database stuff actually running like it should... we had pizza delivered twice and everything. Graphic design kids I know (I'm friends with engineering, art, and accounting majors...not much else for whatever reason) pretty much leave pillows in their lockers in that building....I've gone over at 4 a.m. because I couldn't sleep and dropped off rockstar drinks for them.lol

Being an engineer and hanging out with both crowds, engineers are nicer and crazier. They love to party all the time or at least relax. We just pull all-nighters before the tests because we haven't been studying for most of the class.

Pre-meds are the bigger nerds. I mean, you don't see engineers congregating on a pre-professional engineering forum and talking about the FE exam.

tomorrowgirl99 said:
Being an engineer and hanging out with both crowds, engineers are nicer and crazier. They love to party all the time or at least relax. We just pull all-nighters before the tests because we haven't been studying for most of the class.

Pre-meds are the bigger nerds. I mean, you don't see engineers congregating on a pre-professional engineering forum and talking about the FE exam.

EngiNERDs, enough said.

I have that feeling too, engineering tend to be more help out to one another. maybe that's depend on the particular school and department I am at also. Well, wait till you meet Physics and Math major, then you will understand what true definition of nerdiness and jerkness.

tomorrowgirl99 said:

NewKidin2block said:
I have that feeling too, engineering tend to be more help out to one another. maybe that's depend on the particular school and department I am at also. Well, wait till you meet Physics and Math major, then you will understand what true definition of nerdiness and jerkness.
Ouch, that's harsh. I'm Physics/Math double major and math majors at my school are definitely less nerdy than pre-meds. Pure physics majors on the other hand...I can barely have a conversation with most of them without wanting to gouge my eyes out.

Dr Durden said:
BMEs = the worst of both worlds. :smuggrin:

that's funny u say that cuz i got a facebook group called "biomedical engineering is hard as ****" (140+ members strong).. and the first line of our description is "The worst of both worlds."

lol.

As a member of both sides, I have to go with engineering. Although there is a facebook group called "People Who You Can Ask About Glycophosphatidylinositol", which is pretty bad... ;)

^ You beat me to it. A close second would be "BME Majors Who Aren't Weird as Hell."

tomorrowgirl99 said:

I would still say that Engineer students are the biggest nerds.

Your first paragraph is correct (though I doubt engineer students procrastinate that much), but the main reason why they cooperate together so well is because they don't have to compete. Only a limited number of people can go to medical school, but let's face it, the world will always need more and more engineers. The biggest challenge for an engineer is getting through undergrad with a 3.0+ GPA (and maybe graduate school). While tests are important, they don't compare to the importance of the MCAT for a pre-med.

With that said, I really do admire (most) engineers for being much friendlier and less competitive than pre-meds.

But pull out any trivia game, and the answer will be clear: engineering students are the bigger nerds/geeks (not dorks...they're smart ;) )
-Dr. P.

Yeah there really is nothing like the MCAT. I knew a few people who took the FE, and they said it was really hard. The thing is, you really don't have to take it unless you're working on something that involves public safety. As a computer engineer, I wouldn't have. All you really have to do is the GRE for grad school and, though I haven't taken it, I'm pretty sure there's no comparison between it and the MCAT.

Dr Durden said:
^ You beat me to it. A close second would be "BME Majors Who Aren't Weird as Hell."

Dr Durden, excuse me for asking, but do you go to Vanderbilt? If so, what year are you?

Dr Durden said:
BMEs = the worst of both worlds. :smuggrin:

Truth. I'm a BME. Lots of the kids in our program are douchey though. That kind of sucks. I'm kind of like the program's ******ed step child. How did I get into this school.

ecnerwalc3321 said:
Dr Durden, excuse me for asking, but do you go to Vanderbilt? If so, what year are you?
Oooh do we have some fellow Commodores here? BE '06 here :D

Premeds know how to shower... I think that ends all discussion

though, for what it's worth, engineers do, in fact, have souls. I wish I could say the same for those in the pre-medical establishment... backstabbers, all of them.

ecnerwalc3321 said:

Yes, I too go to Vanderbilt and I am a senior applying this cycle. Yes, I have an mdapps profile, but no it's not linked here. Yes, I'm a fellow enginerd (and damn proud of it), but in case my previous posts weren't clear, no, I'm not a BME. That should be more than enough hints for now ;)

:luck: to all you Dores. Who ya with?!

But back to the topic at hand...