Who ARE the high-yield applicants for low-yield schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolpremed22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm talking schools like Georgetown, GW, Tufts, and BU. It seems like whenever someone posts about these schools no matter their stats people say they are low yield and not to apply. Is there any time of applicant that should apply to these schools? I really like DC and Boston and would love to go to school in either of those locations.

Members don't see this ad.

Strong applicants, maybe from the area or with a connection to the schools, that likely will get into higher tier schools than these and will drop acceptances from these schools to open up spots for people later on.

Have stats in their range (not too low for obvious reasons, and not too high for yield-protection reasons).
Have ECs that fit their mission (for example, BU likes to see significant service) and a good answer for "why our school".
Be lucky.

That's the formula as far as I can tell.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm talking schools like Georgetown, GW, Tufts, and BU. It seems like whenever someone posts about these schools no matter their stats people say they are low yield and not to apply. Is there any time of applicant that should apply to these schools? I really like DC and Boston and would love to go to school in either of those locations.
People who fulfill the school's missions.
If one has stats within thier 10-90th %iles, then one should apply.

Reactions: 1 user