Who are the mentors/moderators for this forum?

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by Tildy, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tildy

Tildy 12 yrs old, feels like 84
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Greetings: This thread will tell you a bit about the mentors/moderators for this forum.

I'm Tildy and I'm a faculty member at a medical school that has a baccalaureate/MD program. I am a member of the admissions committee for this school and am closely involved in that program including interviewing students before they are admitted as well as mentoring some of them along the way. I am glad to help moderate this forum and to try to answer questions about how the admissions process for these programs work. By the way, "Tildy" (see Avatar picture) is really my 5 year old Jack Russell Terrier and she has a passion for eating bread.

#1 Tildy, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lemoncurry

lemoncurry tequila mockingbird
    Administrator Dentist

Dentist
    I'm lemoncurry, and I'm starting dental school this fall. I graduated with my BS in biology last year after a 7 year hiatus from college. I'm more than happy to answer any questions about college, dental school prep, or just life in general :)

4. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi, I'm pingouin! I also answer to the English spelling of my name.. I started college back in the Stone Age in a BS/MD 8 year linkage program but switched within a year to pursue other options. I wound up with two degrees in social work (BSSW and MSW) by 1998 and decided to go back and chase my dream of medicine a few years ago. I'm starting as a M1 in a couple of weeks!!

I'm happy to try to answer general questions about college, majors, the med application process, and talk about why sometimes it's a good idea to take the road less traveled to reach your goals. :)

5. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm Caesar. I am a senior in college starting med school in Fall 2010. I spent my freshman year of high school in a program for future medical professions, but left after the first year. I took a few AP classes in High school. In college I started to pursue a degree in History, but changed my mind after a year when I decided Medicine was where I really wanted to be all along. During half of my college career I played in a touring indie/pop/rock band. I love soccer. If you have any questions about almost anything feel free to PM me!

#4 Caesar, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  6. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Welcome to SDN-Aspire. I'm Q, and I'm currently a third year medical student. I am a nontraditional student (meaning that I started medical school when I was over age 30). Before going to med school, I was a synthetic organic chemist; I have a PhD in organic chemistry. I don't have much of a connection to BS/MD programs except that when I was a senior in HS, I applied to one and got rejected. That is a funny story; the short version is that I got into a shouting match with my interviewer. Obviously, arguing with him that vehemently was not the smartest of moves!

I am a student adcom (admissions committee member) at my medical school and can give you some insight into how adcoms choose students. I would also be happy to talk about going to graduate school if any of you think you might be interested in a research career. Before going to medical school, I was a college general chemistry and organic chemistry instructor, so I can give you advice about learning chemistry and succeeding in chemistry classes. After I was rejected from the BS/MD program, I went to a small, very untraditional liberal arts college. If any of you are thinking that a big state U is not the right college setting for you, I'd be happy to talk to you about some of the alternatives.

P.S. I am doing my clinical rotations this year, and some of them have very long hours, including nights and weekends. So please be patient if you PM me and I don't respond right away. I do read and respond to every PM, and I will get back to you as soon as I can. :)

#5 QofQuimica, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  7. ksmi117

ksmi117 GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    :hello: Hi, hSDNer's. My name is ksmi, and I am your newest Assistant Moderator. I graduated from a high school in Louisiana in 2006, and I am currently a Junior at LSU and am prepping my application for the 2009-2010 cycle. I am currently majoring in Math and General Studies with minors in Bio, Chem, and Business. In high school, I took a lot of AP courses like these other mods, so if you have questions about them or anything else really, PM me. I am on SDN pretty much whenever my laptop is open, so I should reply pretty quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.