"Who are you?" -- "Tell me about yourself."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have problems with really open-ended questions? I have no idea where to start.

Members don't see this ad.

I love these questions! If you know who you are there pretty easy. I usually talk about the different things I've done untill the interview becomes interested in something. Now you have something in common to talk about and perhaps they will remember you.

You're not alone. That's my worst nightmare interview question. It's so difficult because you have no idea what they're looking for in a response. Thankfully, I haven't been asked that question yet. But I do know of a guy who went in for a dental school interview, and that was his only question. I haven't heard of any medical school interviews like that, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate this question. i've never figured out a good answer to it. my initial reaction is always to tell them my life story starting from 'well, i was born in...' but then i always feel like i'm rambling and so by the end of it, i'm kicking myself under the table.

i hate this question. i've never figured out a good answer to it. my initial reaction is always to tell them my life story starting from 'well, i was born in...' but then i always feel like i'm rambling and so by the end of it, i'm kicking myself under the table.
exactly. seriously, where do you start?

"Well, my name is..."

Id probably take this chance to convey something that they dont already know from my personal statement. With questions like these, Id probably open it up with something funny and then take it from there

I have been asked that question each time in all three of my interviews. It's a really open ended question as many have already mentioned, and you should take the opportunity to highlight your strongest point within answer. I haven't really done much clinical and volunteer work, because I had to work, so I like to talk about that, some about my hobbies like making films etc.

Anyone else have problems with really open-ended questions? I have no idea where to start.

Hi armybound. I was also worried about getting asked this question, and thought a lot about how I wanted to answer (by writing down bullet points on an index card)....which was good because it was my first question at Drexel. I answered with my age, where I was born and grew up, what's important to me (family, faith), and talked a little about my job (since I've been out of school for 2.5 years). I think my answer shaped the subsequent questions a bit, because my interviewer asked more questions about my family and job.

Yeah I've gotten this question a couple times. The first time I tried asking for clarification... "Do you mean academically, personally, what aspect of myself.... ?"

The interviewer gave me a not so pleasant look and said, "you heard the question, answer it however you think is appropriate."

So that is a question I prepare for now. I use the question to to talk about recent things, (Job School, etc.) or tell a story that lets me tell them something I want emphasized from my app.

It is a tough question, but just plan ahead and have something to say in advance. :)

Easy...they just want to see how you are socially, so they give you the easiest question to do this with. Where are you from, how did you grow up, what have you done, what are your hobbies, etc.

That question has ALWAYS plagued me in one way or the other. I agree with the responses that said that you just have the chance to RE-emphasize any strong points that you have on your application.

Easy...they just want to see how you are socially, so they give you the easiest question to do this with. Where are you from, how did you grow up, what have you done, what are your hobbies, etc.

Same here. I just talk about things they probably won't gather from my personal statement or AMCAS activities, and throw in a bit of my personality, how I've grown through the years, etc.
I've only done it for one interview so far and the results won't be in until May, so don't sue me if that didn't work:scared:

exactly. seriously, where do you start?

"Well, my name is..."

I was asked the "So tell me about yourself" in a mock interview, and my advisor said that college (where you went, major, interests) is usually a good place to start, and a good way to navigate the conversation to an activity/interest you want to make sure gets discussed. That said, I was then never asked that in any of my interviews.

I was asked the "So tell me about yourself" in a mock interview, and my advisor said that college (where you went, major, interests) is usually a good place to start, and a good way to navigate the conversation to an activity/interest you want to make sure gets discussed. That said, I was then never asked that in any of my interviews.
yeah, I think I'd start by talking about how I'm a graduate student and what not.

I just really struggle with open-ended questions like that. Same goes for assignments that say "Pick any topic you want." Give me an assignment or specific question and I'm fine, tell me to do absolutely anything and I'm stuck.

Here's the advice I followed to prepare for the infamous "tell me about yourself" question.
http://www.knocks.com/soundbite.html

Keep in mind that this is geared towards job interviews, but the basic principles still apply. Tweak it a bit & practice, this question is totally answerable. Use this question to your advantage by hitting upon the major strengths of your application & using them to direct the rest of the interview.

I structured my answer as follows:
1. Brief personal history (Where you grew up, etc. I included this b/c it added to my answer and shaped some important aspects of my character)
2. Education & work history if you have one (Where you went to school & why. What you enjoyed about your school & brief discussion of your more important/meaningful ECs)
3. Skills & accomplishments that demonstrate skills.
4. Relate 1-3 to your interest in medicine (What do your experiences have to do with medicine or skills that make one a good physician? How will your skills make you excellent medical student and physician?)

I interviewed once b4 I discovered this strategy and felt like I was totally flailing. A formula might seem cheesy, but it really helped me.