Who are you? Why are you here at SDN Anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Currently a prelim intern in medicine, just a stone's throw away from the OR. I've been on this site since applying to med school, and then again when I first "discovered" anesthesiology. I was originally going to apply to Medicine with the hopes of CCM (minus the pulmonary), but during surgery, a surgical resident (chief at that :eek:) suggested I look at anesthesiology! A quick google search, -b/c obviously my med school didn't think much of anesthesiologists other than tube jockeys - of the term "anesthesia" led to SDN, where I learned EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED to know about this amazing field... and I've been hooked since. I stayed on the site after matching because of the clinical discussions and the all around grade A people ... plus I like to pop in and answer a few questions here and there :cool: Besides, this month's Medicine topic of the month is Rheumatology, and it makes me want to gas myself. (No pun intended :smuggrin:) Anyway, 3 months to go.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an academic pediatric anesthesiologist, out of training for a while now, former military, republican.;)
I come for the clinical discussions, but stay for the "other" posts. I occasionally post on the pre med forum. They're a funny bunch, and some are really ill informed and need all the help they can get. I also post on the milmed forum, trying to warn people about the problems with milmed, and the HPSP program in particular. I joined to serve and caught some lucky breaks, most join for the loot and get hammered.

MS3 here. Have become increasingly interested in anesthesiology since my surgery rotation, but not ready to cross off surgery (have been interested in surgery for a long time). Here learning about aspects of both specialties that a med student might not realize during short, 4 week rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
CA-2 here. Been reading SDN for 7 years (I just found out I used to post back in the pre-med days, which I had completely forgotten!). Just fired up a new screen name today so that I can actually contribute to threads.
I enjoy the clinical threads, but the random bits of entertainment that pop up are really what keeps me coming back.
Trying to learn everything I can before I'm out on my own in the big bad world.

I stumbled onto SDN when I was trying to find an anesthesia residency. I escaped from primary care about 7 years ago.

Most of my posts focus on the ABA exam or the the best text books to read. What can I say, I am a boring guy.

General anesthesia with a strong interest in regional is where this academic anesthesiologist spends most of his time.

Cambie

I'm an anesthesiologist and intensivist at a large, west coast academic medical center you've heard of. I've been here since 2001, before I started medical school. I came for the advice about medical school and residency, and stayed for the entertainment. I made the mistake of choosing a username that easily identifies me (I wasn't thinking about anonymity at the time), so I try to keep my posts fairly restrained. I'm an assistant moderator, so I see all the BS that passes through here from time to time.

CA1 here from cali, longtime lurker (joined SDN in ~2003). somehow, i thought that semi anonymous internet chatter would help me choose my specialty- when (duh) turns out all it took was 1 day in the OR! love the anesthesia forum for the clinical discussions, troll bashing, fringe politics, CRNA debates... i've actually learned a ton here, at least about the culture of our specialty, and for that i have to thank you regular posters.

i'm hoping to become that rare hybrid of anesthesiologist - productive in basic/translational science and clinically solid as well. ...we'll see how that works out. for anyone thinking of (or already on) this path, there is strength in numbers! i can't think of a better place than SDN to find each other.

CA1 here from cali, longtime lurker (joined SDN in ~2003). somehow, i thought that semi anonymous internet chatter would help me choose my specialty- when (duh) turns out all it took was 1 day in the OR! love the anesthesia forum for the clinical discussions, troll bashing, fringe politics, CRNA debates... i've actually learned a ton here, at least about the culture of our specialty, and for that i have to thank you regular posters.

i'm hoping to become that rare hybrid of anesthesiologist - productive in basic/translational science and clinically solid as well. ...we'll see how that works out. for anyone thinking of (or already on) this path, there is strength in numbers! i can't think of a better place than SDN to find each other.

Are you a fan of that show 'Spaced' with Simon Pegg? or do you feel spaced-out?

Dude... I love your avatar... Alex Grey is the shiznit.... I also like how he is represented at Tool shows. I've started collecting his art work. :thumbup:

:hungover:

Attachments

• rsz_img_1154.jpg
    rsz_img_1154.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
CA-1. I joined as an M1 when I succumbed to peer-pressure. I lurk in here when I have time which isn't much recently thank to peds anesthesia. And I wish we had a "like" button like on Facebook for that Dr. Evil quote.

Military practice, ICU and OR. Currently off in Dirka Dirka stan. Been following along mostly since late in med school. Ocassionaly post or catch up with my old residency classate, perioopdoc. Have seen Jet come and go. Glad to see him back.

I am an interloper.
EM resident.
Mostly post in the EM forum, but read the anesthesiology forum almost as frequently...mostly to learn some pharm, airway...there's a repressed anesthesiologist in me somewhere...maybe that's why I like my time in the OR more than most EM folks...post here rarely; maybe I give a different perspective.

HH