Who determines number of residency positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that residency spots are funded my medicare, but do they determine the number of positions, or is it internally regulated by the AAO or some other regulatory board?

Is the regulation of this subject to change at all?

Lastly, is it dependent on the specialty, or are all specialties regulated the same way?

I'm curious from a policy point of view.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that residency spots are funded my medicare, but do they determine the number of positions, or is it internally regulated by the AAO or some other regulatory board?

Is the regulation of this subject to change at all?

Lastly, is it dependent on the specialty, or are all specialties regulated the same way?

I'm curious from a policy point of view.

Thanks.

The AAO has an advisory role on how a residency must prepare residents, qualifications, surgery volume, faculty standards and the like, but it is the Accrediting Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) that actually certifies a residency program. The same is true of the certification of residents and graduates: the AAO has an advisory role in developing criteria for the OKAP, Ophthalmology Boards and the MOC process, but it is the American Board of Ophthalmology that actually solicits contributing faculty, administers the examinations and issues the certifications.

The AUPO (Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology) is also involved in these areas.