Who did not get accepted to any DO school this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakethaiCSULA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I have seen many posts about people's acceptance to DO school. From what I noticed those people applied to number of schools and got in somewhere. Is there anyone out there that didn't get accepted at all? and what is your plan for the next cycle i.e. retake MCAT, postbac, research work just takking it easy? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I was one of those people who didn't get accepted at all. I applied both MD and DO, and I had four interviews, but all resulted in waitlists that I didn't get off of. I retook the MCAT in the summer and got my applications in earlier the second time around. I worked for the year in between, to earn some money so I wouldn't have to take out as many loans (although I am still borrowing the maximum for when I start at LECOM!) If you don't get in the first time around you are not totally screwed, like my pre-med advisor in college led us all to believe. Good luck to everyone applying for the first time or the second time! You can do it!

Hi DotoBe thanks for your reply.
I have a question. When you apply the first time around, how was your number? I am kind of worry because my gpa is not that impresive at all. I have about 3.5 in both science and over all and I expect to get between 24 to 26 in this Aug MCAT. I tried to Email you but I couldn't. I was also wondering how many school did you applied the first time? I am planing to apply to about 15 DO school. Thank you so much for any suggestion. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Jakethai,
When I applied the first time, I had a GPA (both science and overall) that was lower than yours (3.2 and 3.3, respectively) and got a 26 on the MCAT. I also only applied to 6 schools (3 MD and 3 DO), which I think was also a problem. My second time applying I improved my science and overall GPA to a 3.4 and my MCAT to 28, and I applied to more schools (15, I believe). It costs a lot of money, but it definitely increases your chances of being accepted. Good luck!

Phewww ...thanks god...
I just did another MCAT practice test today...and this is what I got
6,8,8. I really need to work on those verbal score. I don't know why the MCAT is so darn hard!!!!!!!!!.
hey DOtoBE...thanks a bunch for your information. I keep you guys update on my real MCAT on OCT.
I'll keep it cool for now...
thanks again :D

Jake - are you thinking about applying to COMP? If so, there are Osteopathic Awareness Conferences on Saturdays. They highly recommend that and will ask you about it on your application. Also, I hear the school looks at the type of school, like UC vs. state school. COMP is accepting a lot more UC students.

Jean.
I attended COMP conference last year and had a lot of fun. I got to meet some of the MS1 student and talk to the faculty. I really enjoy the conference. Right now I"m finishing up my BS at Cal state LA. I choose to transfer to CSULA rather than UCLA is because of the distance. I live 10 mins from Cal State but almost 40 mins from UCLA. I understand that COMP tend to favor UC but I'll try to make that up with my GPA an hopefully with the MCAT. :p

That sounds good, Jake. Keep up the good work. I understand about the Cal State schools being cheaper than UC (Univeristy of California system). Keep in touch with the schools you are applying to.

Good Luck!

Jake,

I got in the 2nd time around. Don't get too down on yourself b/c of getting rejected, but I think maybe still being in undergrad hurt your MCAT. You might want to wait 'til after you graduate to concentrate solely on the MCAT. You do need to get those MCAT scores up, I think COMP's average MCAT was like 8.7.

When you went to the awareness conference, did you get to know any of the people in admissions? I think that will help out a lot. I'm not sure if they still do this, but after getting rejected I was able to talk to an admissions officer and go over my application to review my strengths and weaknesses. You might want to call and ask if you could do this. I hope this helps...

Eric
MSII, COMP

hey Eric. We'll see after the Aug MCAT. I have been doing the PR practice test Form A-D
I have heard that it was suppose to be harder than the real one. So we'll wait and see. If I didn't perform good I'll will study more after I graduated.
Thanks for the advice!!!! ;)