SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

who did you take along with you on your interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, May 11, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    anybody take parents, girlfriends, boyfriends along with you on your trips or did you travel alone. did they help or hinder your experience?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2007
    My garment bag and my backpack. Great travel companions.
  4. jebus

jebus Banned Banned 5+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2005
    jesus. he was in my heart.
  5. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality 2+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2008
    La Jolla
    Don't take anyone. You need the time to reflect and mentally prepare yourself.
  6. CubaLibre

CubaLibre member 2+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2006
    at an interview at my state school, one applicant brought her mom, and while said applicant was in another room doing the interview, momma stayed behind in the applicant waiting area and told us kiddies how well her daughter's interview at Harvard had gone and that she had interviews lined up at columbia, hopkins etc. I felt like shaking her and asking her, then why are you here today at our lowly state school @ $ S? I know you were just asking about interview travel, but this was the only person I saw tagging along on the interview trail, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I can see traveling to another state with your mommy, but to go down the road to your state school, you couldn't go alone? Sorry, for this mini-rant. It probably didn't help you haha.

7. I know plenty of people that went with parents or their bf/gf and it was more of having someone to help keep you calm before your interview. BUT, do not bring them to the campus with you for your actual interview or to tag along on tours. As obvious as that may seem, I know people who have done it and regretted it. Personally I prefer to ride solo...
  8. Ha, exactly what I was referring to. The people I know who did that regretted it because they came out of their interview and saw the dirty looks the other applicants (and the office staff) were giving them...turns out their mom or dad was bragging about them in front of everyone while the interview was going on...
  9. medisaur

medisaur 2+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2007
    my boyfriend and I made mini-vacations out of the cities we've never been to. of course, he never dragged himself to the schools with me.
  10. Dendrite

Dendrite 2+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I have friends that brought along a family member to drive them to cities that were a couple hundred miles away. Gives the interviewee a chance to get some sleep on the way there go get refreshed for the interview.

I think bringing someone on campus with you to the interview shows a lack of confidence, something you don't want to convey to a room full of Type-A personalities also interviewing the same day.
  11. ejay286

ejay286 Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    yeah i would never take anyone to the actual campus with me, i just didnt know if ppl went the entire way alone or not
  12. franniemeow07

franniemeow07 10+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I went with my bf to his interview in New York, we also made a mini-vacation out of his interview. Unfortunately, this was during spring break, so hotel prices were out the roof in Manhattan. However, my first time to New York was so fun! I think I will definitely be throwing some moneys away to apply to the 6 million med schools there in the coming cycle...
  13. iluvpuppies

iluvpuppies they r so cute 2+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2008
    im close to my family, so my mom, dad, and dog came with me on the trips. (we stayed in hotels that took dogs) During the day my parents would tour the city with the pup while I interviewed. We have some fun memories
  14. Doc Henry

Doc Henry blowin' in the wind 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2007
    I plan on having my husband travel with me to as many places as we can afford. I really want him to experience the area so when it comes time to decide on schools, he has an input on the location (that is, if I'm lucky enough to have more than one acceptance in hand). But no way would I take him to the formal interview/tour stuff!!!
  15. hippiedoc13

hippiedoc13 2+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2007
    If you have a significant other who would be moving to a new city with you if you were accepted to that medical school...I would strongly consider taking your SO along on your interview trips. Then he/she can have some input on whether they like the city as a place to live/work/play for (at least) 4 years.

But certainly don't take anyone with you to campus for the actual interview day!
  16. kevster2001

kevster2001 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2004
    At my Northwesttern interivew some girl's dad followed her into the interview office to drop her off and then waited outside. It looked childish and ridiculous.
  17. smeagol

smeagol 5+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2007
    If you're comfortable with traveling alone then do it. It shows independence.

It'll also save your parents airline fees.

Renting a car may be more expensive due to your age, but it's still better than bringing along an extra person.
  18. Nookular

Nookular 2+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2007
    At one of my interviews someone had their boyfriend there and it was painfully awkward. If you do bring someone, make sure they have something to do for the entire interview day. Having them wait for you in the lobby makes you look too dependent and it has to be boring for them.
  19. Lawliet2008

Lawliet2008 Nobody mess with Adam We 5+ Year Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I would bring my ego. It would probably need its own seat on the plane.
  20. NJDIF

NJDIF 7+ Year Member

May 20, 2007
    i was interviewing at NJMS, and if anyone has interviewed there knows, that they hold you in this little waiting room until its your turn to get called.

In walks this doofus with his mom. shes licking her fingers and fixing his hair, giving him cookies from her purse, and is doing the talking on behalf of the guy. absolutely pathetic. i had a bet going with one of the other applicants that he sleeps in the same bed as his mom. and not just the "i had a bad dream, can i sleep with you" situation, i mean the full blown get-in-a-onesy-while-mommy-brushes-my-hair" kind of deal. real weird.

never bring your parents. it looks immature and does not reflect well.
  21. 87138

87138 Guest

Jan 14, 2006

22. moe_4eva

moe_4eva doprepd on my haed 2+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2006
    haha, at one of my interviews, some guy walked in with his dad who did almost the exact same thing. The dad introduced his son, took his coat off of him, gave him some gum, then settled him before leaving the room to wait outside. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.
  23. doinmybest5840

doinmybest5840 5+ Year Member

May 17, 2007
    On one of my interviews I noticed that one guy brought his fiance/girlfriend with him for the entire day. During the intro in the morning she sat in another room, but she tagged along for the entire rest of the day, including the tour and lunch, which I thought was a bit ridiculous. He totally shut himself off from everyone (especially the tour guides) by doing that.
  24. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I think the only time it's really appropriate to bring someone is if the school makes it a point to invite your spouse.

I had planned on bringing my husband to this one particular school that specifically invited him, but didn't because he ended up having a conflict or something else to do at the time.
  25. doomknight

doomknight Bing 2+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2008
    I took my chihuahua
  26. silverlining1

silverlining1 7+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I went alone - I wanted to stay calm and have time to reflect on my application (which sounds corny; poor vocabulary choice, sorry) before the interview. In only one case did I take my (ex-)boyfriend; I was driving more than 2 hours, and I get REALLY sleepy while driving, so I needed the company. During my interview day, he hung out in the hotel or the med school library. He didn't go on the tour or wait with other applicants. On the interview trail I never saw someone with a guest.
  27. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality 2+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2008
    La Jolla
    :thumbup: very important imo, and hard to do with people around.
  28. SCRdoc

SCRdoc 7+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I took my husband along because it was important for him to see where we would possibly spend the next four years. We also had the opportunity to explore the cities we visited, and look for potential places to apply for jobs. He also came along to second look weekend to help search for apartments.
  29. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

As mentioned above:

Acceptable- bringing your spouse as they may be living in this city with you for the next 4 years. Although, I would suggest they explore the city rather than sitting through the interview day.

Not acceptable- anyone else, especially parents.
  30. JayJayEPT

JayJayEPT UTHSCSA c/o 2012! 5+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    I made the mistake of taking my parents with me to one interview. We stayed in the same room and I had forgotten they were snore factories so needless to say I got less than 2 hours of sleep. My interview went horribly and I ended up being rejected. :(
  31. corduroy11

corduroy11 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Anyone this year gone with someone? I'm leaning towards doing it on my own but I'd appreciate some more input.
  32. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    So far I've done them all alone. But my Dad has some business in Morgantown so I scheduled my WVU interview when he'd be there. He knows someone with a huge house that we can stay with. The only reason I am going with my Dad is so I can get free travel/lodging. I would much rather go alone.
  33. armybound

armybound future urologist. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    My mom drove down to one with me because she wanted to go shopping.

My wife wants to go to one with me next week but it looks like she won't be able to. It would be good for her to see the area where I could end up being.
  34. ronicajay

ronicajay 2+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Somone at my last interview brought his wife (she came on the tour, sat in on the info session and ate lunch with us, then left for the actual interviews). I personally found it awkward and distracting. I do not recommend bringing anyone to the actual interview day.

I have also seen people with parents or grandparents...the families stayed out of the way for the most part but i did notice that the applicants would hang back with their family in the beginning rather than meeting the group...i suppose it didn't impact their interview day too much.

while its probably fine to have family with you, i would NOT take anyone to the actual interview day.
  35. kappa09

kappa09 5+ Year Member

Jul 1, 2008
    My mom offered to go with me on my first interview since it was a significant drive, but I turned her down. I didn't want to have to worry about/deal with another person. I had my TomTom screaming at me to keep me awake anyways.

At my second interview, this guy comes in with his Dad. The Dad sat in the lobby for the entire day, which ended up being 5+ hours. They were only from about 45 minutes away so it seemed a little ridiculous and immature.
  36. Carlin

Carlin Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 13, 2006
    My interview at Tulane was during their homecoming weekend, and as both of my parents went to Tulane for undergrad and law school, they were there at the same time and let me crash in their 5-star hotel room. It was a pretty sweet deal.

I would never ever consider having someone accompany me to the campus on the interview day, but it was wonderful having them in the city to hang out with before and after the interview!
  37. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy Physician 7+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Dagobah System
    I had one interview that was a really long drive. So to make the drive easier I went to one of my family members and said if you want to go to _______________ for a long weekend the gas and hotel are on me.

Come interview day I drove to the school for the interview and my family member went off to do something else in another area of the city. It made the drive easier and we stayed a few extra days and made it a sort of mini-vacation (school hadn't started yet), so I think it turned out well.

However I would have never taken my family member anywhere near the med school on interview day. That's just ****ing weird.
  38. tianac2

tianac2 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm a talker and I don't like being alone in my own head when something's worrying me, and so, knowing this, when I got my first interview (about a 3 hour drive away), my best friend was immediately making travel plans! She arranged a room for us through the network that she and her mom own a timeshare with, let me drive and quizzed me on my app and common questions the whole way there, made sure that I relaxed a little the night before, shoved a sleeping pill into my hand when it started getting too late, made sure I ate something in the morning despite the nerves, dropped me off at the medical school, went shopping for the day, and came to pick me up when I was done. She then willingly participated in the "post-mortem" breakdown of the interview for the whole drive home!

I won't say that I couldn't have done it without her, but she sure made it easier, and a lot more enjoyable!
  39. Lebaca

Lebaca 2+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2008
    My parents have already told me that they plan to take time off of work when I get my interview invites... the thing is, I never invited them, they just assumed that I wanted them to come. They definitely would not come with me to the interview, they'd only drop me off in the morning and pick me up when I got done. I'm just not sure if I should let them or not. In some ways, I think it'd be nice. I don't particularly like navigating new cities on my own, so having them there to do that would be appreciated. At the same time though, I feel like this is something I need to do myself.

I still haven't decided what to tell them... I guess I'll just wait for my first invite and see how I feel.

40. RJones7

RJones7 2+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I am torn on this one - first instinct says no, do it on your own. On the other hand, my mom came with me to an interview in DC because she wanted to see the city and we ended up spending the whole weekend exploring the city - something I would not have done on my own. I ended up with a much better understanding of the school and city. Plus she footed most of the bill :)
  41. armybound

armybound future urologist. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I think who makes the trip with you is of little consequence. Just understand that they shouldn't actually step foot in the medical school for any reason.
  42. Retsage

Retsage 2+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I go alone and student host. Best way to get information about the school and area.
  43. stixx

stixx 5+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2006
    My dad is driving me to my 1st interview next week...because I'm a genius and let my driver's license expire so can't rent a car and drive myself. Luckily he doesn't mind playing tourist for a day while I'm at the school. Best part is I don't have to worry about parking!
  44. stixx

stixx 5+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2006
    If they were simply expecting to tag along with you, I'm not convinced they'd be able to allow you the privacy you'll likely me needing in advance of I'd say no. edit: Of course, if they're interested in seeing the cities then there's no reason not to invite them. :) As long as they know you need your space on the interview day.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  45. ronicajay

ronicajay 2+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2007
    That's ridiculously cute!

46. ronicajay

ronicajay 2+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2007
  47. tianac2

tianac2 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington State
    Yep, I'm blessed! I have the bestest friends and family ever! :love:
  48. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Take who ever you want on the trip to the town. You shouldn't bring anyone else to the actual interview day.

It's a distraction. It distracts the other interviewees and its one other factor for you to worry about. You should be focusing on your impression of the school and your interview performance. I can't say how adcoms look at it but when I see someone show up with a parent or sibling (yes sibling) I though it was strange. Spouses are less taboo, I'd say let them go see the surroundings, they're not going to be living at the medical school like you are.

If you get in, then bring your wife, your mom, your brother, whoever to tour or to a second look weekend. It's worth an extra trip at that point.
  49. lainapox

lainapox A little crazypants 5+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2008
    I've been going alone because I only stay around for about 24 hours - arrive in the evening, stay in a hotel/motel, wake up, go to the interview, taxi back to the airport.

I'll be going with my parents to one interview city because a family friend of ours lives there and it gives my parents an excuse to see him and his wife. They'll obviously not go with me TO the interview, but we'll drive or fly down together. Oh, that'll be a fun trip... :scared:
  50. Bacchus

Bacchus Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2007
    I brought Mr. Cell, Mrs. Keys, and the children: inorganic chemistry and cell biology. It was a lovely trip.
  51. supergirl87

supergirl87 no longer premed...MS0 2+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2008
    So true! My parents made the trip with me for two far-off interviews, but on the day of the interviews, they dropped me off at the school and went sightseeing or what not. For another interview, a family member who drove me hung out in the hospital cafe/lobby. That was nowhere near where my interview was being held so it was no biggie. For the other interviews I went solo. But it's nice to have a supportive family who will take time out to make sure that you are less stressed on your big day by driving. Being independent is important, but if someone is willing to help me out, I will gladly take the help and it's nothing to be emarassed over. But yeah, bringing a family member into the interview waiting area/lobby is just awkward and I have not seen that happen in any of my interviews.