Who didn't apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poochlover11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post and I was wondering how many people are applying this year and how many people will be around for a while. I won't be applying until Oct of 2010, so I'll be around for a while. Anyone else not applying yet? Just seems like a lot of people are applying and will be moving on to the vet forum :bow:. So I was just wondering if I am one of the few or are there others that will be around for a while. Just curious!

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back about interviews and what not :) :xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I'm applying in Fall 2009. So close, yet so far away...

I'm not applying until next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain...it is tough while everyone talks about interviews and such. I want to apply so bad and be a part of the anticipation of finding out whether or not all my hard work has paid off!! :soexcited:

I'm considering applying this fall, but I have a feeling I'll be involved in the 2010 cycle... :rolleyes:

hmmm well I'll be *cough* 2012 cycle. haha.

Yea I will definitely be in the Oct 2010 cycle. I am working with lab animals now, but I want to get some better grades for my pre-reqs so.. Ill be around as well. What are you doing that you won't be applying yet?

Well, I have to finish up my double major in animal science/dairy science. I would apply if I could, but need to finish the classes. Are you finishing up your degree as well? Or are you already done and just cleaning up some grades?

I'll be trying again this fall - I took a cycle off, so to speak. Nyanko is doing a master's and will apply this fall, too. I'm sure she's glad I answered for her. ;)

Twelvetigers, is the corgi in your avatar your dog? I love corgis and really like dogs with one blue eye and one brown eye! I haven't really seen that much in corgis though-mostly austrailian shepards.

Yup, that's Chloe. She's pretty much the only Corgi I've ever seen with heterochromia lapis or whatnot. Pretty special, if you ask me - but she's basically your typical Corgi. :)

Another picture here (from Xmas cards :D).

I've been answered for ;) but yes, I'm applying this upcoming summer for round 2. It seems like I just finished applying. I guess this is about the halfway point! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to hear from you Nyanko :)

And twelvetigers you have a beautiful dog (love the Christmas card pic-that is adorable)! I didn't know there was a term for the one brown eye-one blue eye thing- Ill have to rememeber that in the future for impressing people-lol!

HAH! That's the only reason I know it, anyway. I think I had it in my head wrong - it's heterochromia iridis it seems. Google it and you get a bunch of David Bowie stuff, lol. Random fact: his eyes are like that not because of a genetic situation, but because he got punched in the eye as a child. True story! Some sources say that they aren't even different colors, one is just permanently dilated.

She's an awesome dog, though - glad to have found her. :)

P.S. Woooooo, David Bowie!! :D

HAH! That's the only reason I know it, anyway. I think I had it in my head wrong - it's heterochromia iridis it seems. Google it and you get a bunch of David Bowie stuff, lol. Random fact: his eyes are like that not because of a genetic situation, but because he got punched in the eye as a child. True story! Some sources say that they aren't even different colors, one is just permanently dilated.

She's an awesome dog, though - glad to have found her. :)

P.S. Woooooo, David Bowie!! :D

I googled that after you mentioned it! That looks kind of creepy-I guess for some reason I didn't realize he had that before. I believe Kate Bosworth has the actual heterochromis iridis thing if I am not mistaken. I think it would be cool to have that! (Probably not for people that have actually had that all their lives-they probably think it's more of a pain-but I think it looks cool!)

Well I don't know anything about the eye thing, but I will be applying this Fall (2009) for my first time. Mostly, I'm just applying for the experience of applying, I think I will also be making the rounds in Fall 2010 as well. But I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens!

I'll hopefully be applying in two cycles. I'm working on ALL the pre-reqs that I didn't take in undergrad or grad school! I'm taking it one step at at time, though, b/c I work full-time in a pretty draining profession (child protective services)....

GellaBella-hope that works out for you :)

And Badger Girl-can I ask what you majored in for undergrad and grad? I am guessing something with social work. Why did you decide to pursue vet school?

Hey I'll be applying next year, or maybe the year after. I am basically done all my pre-reqs (except physics, which I am taking right now), but I don't have that much experience and I'm quite enjoying undergrad so I am finishing up my degree here first.

My plan has been to apply for the first time next cycle (I'm taking the GRE in 3 weeks, eep!), but as I'm also pregnant with our first child and due in late May, I might postpone an additional year depending on how things go this spring/summer.

This is one long road!

I'm trying to set myself up for a 2010 app too. :D

GellaBella-hope that works out for you :)

And Badger Girl-can I ask what you majored in for undergrad and grad? I am guessing something with social work. Why did you decide to pursue vet school?

Yep, both my undergraduate and graduate degrees are in social work. I, like several other non-trads on here, just decided that this profession is not for me. I can really see myself in vet med for the long haul. One reason grad school in social work was appealing to me was because I was able to go for free since I work in child welfare...and worked for more than one year in it after graduating. I have almost five years in total, though. Grad school was a pretty sweet deal for me and I ended up getting a nice raise in the county I work for. It was definitely worth it, but during the process I just started thinking that social work was not going to be the career I work in forever.

I think I'll apply in the UK this upcoming season, but I'll probably end up having to wait another year or two.

I was planning to apply this last year ('08) but because of the sheer amount of things going on in my life, I was not ready to apply. I'm planning to apply this year and hoping I only have to go through one round.

I have some courses I want to re-take and I need a TON more experience... so I won't be applying until I do that... so about two years from now :p

Well I may have you all beat :p. I am just starting undergrad this semester, and due to a brain condition I was just diagnosed with (which causes me to live with constant debilitating head pain) and the fact that I have a preschooler, a toddler, and an infant, I am allowing 6 years to complete prereqs/get my BS. Which means I will likely not apply until the 2015 cycle, or so. :(

Well I may have you all beat :p. I am just starting undergrad this semester, and due to a brain condition I was just diagnosed with (which causes me to live with constant debilitating head pain) and the fact that I have a preschooler, a toddler, and an infant, I am allowing 6 years to complete prereqs/get my BS. Which means I will likely not apply until the 2015 cycle, or so. :(

That makes you the first person I've seen here who will be finished with school after me. I don't know how to feel about that. :laugh:

What kind of brain condition do you have? Something like migraines (use to get those-not fun at all :thumbdown:)? Do they have any medication for the pain? Its sounds pretty terrible :(.

I'm on the "5 year plan" for undergrad since I graduated from high school in the 80's (stop laughing!). I just started my research project and a mock interview, now I'm studying for the GRE.:scared:

Oh and by the way, for those of you who haven't applied yet, how many schools do you plan to apply for? I have it narrowed done to five I think. I don't know if that is too much or too few (submission fees cost a bit of money :eek:-not to mention driving to interviews and what not). How many are most people applying for?

What kind of brain condition do you have? Something like migraines (use to get those-not fun at all :thumbdown:)? Do they have any medication for the pain? Its sounds pretty terrible :(.

I always used to think it was migraines. I've had headaches since I was ten. But after I had my son at the end of August they just got more and more frequent, like every couple days, then every other day, and finally, a week before Thanksgiving, one big long neverending headache. Headache sounds so mild. But this is the kind of pain that is sensitive to light and motion and sound and interferes with thought and speech (causing me to slur words and be unable to speak above a mumble when it is bad) and sent me to the ER several times. In December I finally got to see a neurologist, and after a bunch of tests including a spinal tap, got diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri (literally 'false brain tumor' because it is all the symptoms of a tumor but there is no tumor present). Basically my body produces too much cerebro-spinal fluid for an unknown reason, and it pushes on my brain all the time, causing the pain. I'm on a med that is basically a diuretic. So far all the med has done is decreased my pain from a 9 on the pain scale to about a 7. Some days if I'm lucky it's a 5. And some not-so-lucky days, the pain is a 9 anyway. If the meds never work, the next step is a brain shunt to drain fluid away, or constant repeated spinal taps to drain fluid. FUN. I have pain meds, including morphine and percocet, but I avoid them except when I feel so bad it's either take them or go to the hospital. I'm breastfeeding so that's one reason to not take them when not necessary, but also I don't want to develop a dependency/addiction.

I hate my body. I wish I could trade it in for a non-defective model. This is the same body that had all those terrible pregnancy complications, mind you. I'm only 29 and I feel like I have the body of an octegenarian.

Anyway, done whining. We are all dealt one hand of cards in this life. Sometimes a few of those cards are crappy, but you make the best you can of it anyway, which is why I'm not giving up on school. We live in an age with unheard of opportunities, particularly for women. I want to take full advantage of them, because, again, we only get one go at life. I don't want to waste mine.

I always used to think it was migraines. I've had headaches since I was ten. But after I had my son at the end of August they just got more and more frequent, like every couple days, then every other day, and finally, a week before Thanksgiving, one big long neverending headache. Headache sounds so mild. But this is the kind of pain that is sensitive to light and motion and sound and interferes with thought and speech (causing me to slur words and be unable to speak above a mumble when it is bad) and sent me to the ER several times. In December I finally got to see a neurologist, and after a bunch of tests including a spinal tap, got diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri (literally 'false brain tumor' because it is all the symptoms of a tumor but there is no tumor present). Basically my body produces too much cerebro-spinal fluid for an unknown reason, and it pushes on my brain all the time, causing the pain. I'm on a med that is basically a diuretic. So far all the med has done is decreased my pain from a 9 on the pain scale to about a 7. Some days if I'm lucky it's a 5. And some not-so-lucky days, the pain is a 9 anyway. If the meds never work, the next step is a brain shunt to drain fluid away, or constant repeated spinal taps to drain fluid. FUN. I have pain meds, including morphine and percocet, but I avoid them except when I feel so bad it's either take them or go to the hospital. I'm breastfeeding so that's one reason to not take them when not necessary, but also I don't want to develop a dependency/addiction.

I hate my body. I wish I could trade it in for a non-defective model. This is the same body that had all those terrible pregnancy complications, mind you. I'm only 29 and I feel like I have the body of an octegenarian.

Anyway, done whining. We are all dealt one hand of cards in this life. Sometimes a few of those cards are crappy, but you make the best you can of it anyway, which is why I'm not giving up on school. We live in an age with unheard of opportunities, particularly for women. I want to take full advantage of them, because, again, we only get one go at life. I don't want to waste mine.

Wow, that is incredible. I don't know how you function with that amount of pain. Twelvetigers is right, I wish I could be that brave someday too :)

Thanks guys :).

For the record, I would prefer to be a healthy coward than a sick brave person, lol. You'd be surprised what you can do if you have to.

I'm thinking of applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC, and maybe one of the Australian or New Zealand schools. If I don't get in to one of those 5 year programs, then I'll just finish up undergrad and probably apply in the states.

WSU, Oregon State, Western, Iowa, Kansas and just for fun Penn.

Hi y'all!

First-time poster here. After an epiphany-filled fall where I realized that veterinary medicine was my calling, I've decided to apply and return to college this fall to begin satisfying the prereqs. I hope to apply to vet school in the fall 2012 with a matriculation date around my 32nd birthday (best. gift. ever. :D). Glad to see other folks that'll be around for a while. Seems like this forum is a really supportive place.

Last edited: