who else hates the quarter system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orphn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
and the fact that while we have finals the majority of other college students are on spring break

Members don't see this ad.

Wait...does that mean your summer will start soon???? If that's true then the quarter system sounds awesome.

I'd much rather be getting my finals over with now and then going home, rather than going to school for another month. :smuggrin:

no we actually end later than you guys and have another set of finals around june 15

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm okay with the quarter system. I think it's good for you to change your schedule often. What I don't like is how my labs are graded - they're 1-credit Pass/No Pass classes, adding up to three Pass/No Pass credits per year of science prerequisite. In total, that adds up to twelve credits that AMCAS translates as a 'C' - 9 in semester credits. Completely sucks.

But the quarter system? Just fine. Especially since we start back later after Summer! :thumbup:

I both love and hate the quarter system. Shorter classes are great but it's harder to retain what you learn. :/

I love the quarter system. I like being able to take three - four classes at a time for only ten weeks. In fact, I like the short summer sessions even better. I take all the classes I hate in the summer sessions cause they're only five weeks of loathing :)

Seriously though, we start in late september...nothing to complain about.

Except this summer I'll graduate on June 13 and move for med school little over a month later :(

Other than dealing with 3 final weeks per year it's not too bad. Except right now I'm hating cause I have my O Chem final tomorrow, no where near prepared and I've already blown my shot at getting an A this quarter which sucks cause I'll be losing my science 4.0. :(

having experienced both a quarter and semester system, I would have to say the quarter system is much better. In a semester, it feels like the year progresses so damn slowly.

And they will all be studying when we are on Spring Break next week???

The quarter system is awesome. If you hate a class you only have to put up with it for 10 weeks!

You guys also can't apply with AMCAS until you get your grades in late June, right?

I've always wondered what the quarter system is like. Is it like high school quarters? Or is it like a block system of taking 2-4 classes for a shorter but more immersed curriculum?

Heres a little insight in between the two. At my school the quarter system has 50 minute classes. At my old school the semester system had ~2 hour classes.

In a semester the weeks drag.
In a quarter the weeks breeze.

Cover the same amount of material in a quarter as you do in a semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys also can't apply with AMCAS until you get your grades in late June, right?

It's not like AMCAS doesn't allow you to submit until grades are in. I applied without my spring grades - it just means that if you're wanting those grades to increase your application GPA you'll have to wait. Mine were all P/F, so it didn't matter.

I liked the quarter system much better. No studying during spring break. And my summer breaks were just as long as the semester kids, it was just shifted (got out in June rather than May, but started in Sept rather than Aug).

Quarter system is awesome. This is why:

4 classes to study for. 4 finals to study for. End of story.

I'm applying with out spring grades. Applying early is better than including those grades IMO.

Quarter system is awesome. This is why:

4 classes to study for. 4 finals to study for. End of story.

Better yet: 3 classes to study for, 3 finals to study for. End of story.

I've always wondered what the quarter system is like. Is it like high school quarters? Or is it like a block system of taking 2-4 classes for a shorter but more immersed curriculum?

For a 4-credit class, which is the norm and which you'd only need two of to satisfy most pre-med requirements (ie. 2x 4-credit OchemI, OchemII),

the lectures are 3 x 50 min a week
the discussion section is 1 x 50 min a week

10 weeks total. Finals week has no classes.

Labs are typically 6 credits and involve:

1 x 50 min lecture a week
2 x 4 hours lab a week (but they usually let you go early if you're done with the assignment)
No discussion section

For a 4-credit class, which is the norm and which you'd only need two of to satisfy most pre-med requirements (ie. 2x 4-credit OchemI, OchemII),

the lectures are 3 x 50 min a week
the discussion section is 1 x 50 min a week

10 weeks total. Finals week has no classes.

Labs are typically 6 credits and involve:

1 x 50 min lecture a week
2 x 4 hours lab a week (but they usually let you go early if you're done with the assignment)
No discussion section

Hmm and on a semester schedule its more like 1 lab per week and the same for lecture except over 16 weeks. So basically its 6 weeks shorter, so do you guys go at a faster pace?
Whats the cap on a quarter's worth of classes?

Hmm and on a semester schedule its more like 1 lab per week and the same for lecture except over 16 weeks. So basically its 6 weeks shorter, so do you guys go at a faster pace?
Whats the cap on a quarter's worth of classes?

the cap is 19 credits without permission, and 12 is the minimum for full time. I've done both semester and quarter system and the quarter system moves faster. We have midterms by the 3rd week in most classes. Also 11th week is finals week. On the quarter system we never fall behind schedule and by the end of the year we cover more of the book than the semester classes I've taken.

At my school 20 units is the cap that you can have for one quarter without getting special permission.

After experiencing both a quarter system and semester system, I think I'm going to have to go with the semester system. While its nice to get a worry free spring break, I'd really would like to remember everything I've learned in my classes. The 10 weeks just go by so fast, it seems like I don't really learn much from my classes.

Well that's entirely your problem isn't it ;p

stop whining, quarter system rocks.

stop whining, quarter system rocks.

+1, I loved quarter system. Sure it's kinda face paced but at the same time you get classes over with faster. And you get to take more of them.

So alright, 4 quarters a year versus 2 semesters a year. Cap is 20 credits per quarter and my schools cap per semester is 18-20 credits. So you guys could do 80 credits in 1 academic year?

3 quarters a year my friend.

Hmm, sounds like this system might actually be better then a semester system to me. The whole being really into a subject rather then having 5 other classes at the sametime to distract you.

So alright, 4 quarters a year versus 2 semesters a year. Cap is 20 credits per quarter and my schools cap per semester is 18-20 credits. So you guys could do 80 credits in 1 academic year?

4th quarter is summer classes. Also quarter units are worth less than semester units. Therefore we need more units to graduate. It is cool though.

At UCSD there's actually two summer sessions, so you could actually get in a total of 5 consecutive classes in a series within one year. The problem is, summer offerings vary...

4th quarter is summer classes. Also quarter units are worth less than semester units. Therefore we need more units to graduate. It is cool though.

Just count them by classes, not units. A 4-quarter-unit class is worth the same as a 3-semester-unit class.

Just count them by classes, not units. A 4-quarter-unit class is worth the same as a 3-semester-unit class.

actually a 4 unit quarter system class = 2.67 semester units. For example: O-chem series is 3 quarters long x 4 units per class = 12 quarter units. Total semester units is 8.

The conversion is Semester units = Quarter units/ 1.5

I know this because I transferred to a UC from a semester system school.

So an Ochem class in the semester system would be worth 2.67 units?

That can't be right.

So an Ochem class in the semester system would be worth 2.67 units?

That can't be right.

That's why we have to take 3 quarters of o-chem to equal 1 year (= 2 semesters).

So is a quarter-system Ochem class somehow less equal to a semester-system Ochem class? Since we have to take 3... to equal 2...

At UCSD there's actually two summer sessions, so you could actually get in a total of 5 consecutive classes in a series within one year. The problem is, summer offerings vary...

That would be all the UCs. There are banners all over UCI right now about summer session. Two five week summer sessions + 1 10 week summer session.

I took summer session every summer in college, which helped lighten the load substantially during the year...I've only taken 3 classes or less every quarter for the last two years. and now I'm also used to shorter summers!

So is a quarter-system Ochem class somehow less equal to a semester-system Ochem class? Since we have to take 3... to equal 2...

Same amount of time: 30 weeks +3 weeks of finals quarter system to ~32 weeks for 2 semesters.

That would be all the UCs. There are banners all over UCI right now about summer session. Two five week summer sessions + 1 10 week summer session.

I took summer session every summer in college, which helped lighten the load substantially during the year...I've only taken 3 classes or less every quarter for the last two years. and now I'm also used to shorter summers!

Ya, you got to love the quarter system. 3 classes + Lab easily puts me at 14-15 credits per quarter. It is crazy though, I am in finals right now and I swear it feels like I just had Fall finals a few weeks ago.

so....

guess im the only one lol

I love how they put those up in the middle of winter :thumbup:

But yeah, two summer sessions really does wonders if you're behind in any kind of series.

also, you always take finals, THEN have vacation. Some semeter places have you take the exams after your breaks.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the quarter system!! :love:

My school is changing to semesters my senior year and I'm sooo bummed!!

When I was on the quarter system I always had finals during March Madness. It drove me nuts! =P