Who else here has parents who are physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Inheritance of general intelligence also helps :naughty::naughty:

Inheritance of a lifestyle that allows you to attend good schools and focus on classes and MCAT prep instead of working to support a family or even just pay for school also helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Are physicians the only parents endowed with general intelligence? :confused:

Obviously not. That wasnt implied in my satirical post.

Inheritance of a lifestyle that allows you to attend good schools and focus on classes and MCAT prep instead of working to support a family or even just pay for school also helps.

Yeah basically.

Reactions: 3 users
My folks are immigrants. My mom has been working minimum wage jobs after being laid off years ago. My dad works in a factory making computers. I wonder how my life would have been if my parents were more well off by being doctors or having some form of education. I'm hoping for a successful cycle nevertheless.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've got an uncle that's a pediatrician but he doesn't practice in the US.

My parents are a pipefitter and a homemaker. They don't know what to make of the whole medicine thing.

Reactions: 1 users
My parents are a pipefitter and a homemaker. They don't know what to make of the whole medicine thing.
Hmmm... so your mom married your dad because she was trying to get the pipe?

Hmmm... so your mom married your dad because she was trying to get the pipe?
I guess she'd heard he could lay some pipe down like nobody else.

Really though, the actual story is much more interesting. They met in Germany where they were both stationed during the Cold War. My mother was, amusingly, a member of the 7th Infantry Division- the Black Widows- and yet my dad still didn't see that as a warning sign :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Dad makes more money with an associate's degree than I every will with 12-16 years of education. I personally don't believe it's intelligence you inherit but the personality traits and characteristics that you pick up from observing them.

Dad makes more money with an associate's degree than I every will with 12-16 years of education. I personally don't believe it's intelligence you inherit but the personality traits and characteristics that you pick up from observing them.
I'm pretty sure that's actually the opposite of what research has shown. I suck at looking up papers though, so maybe someone else can help? I tried but couldn't find anything.

My dad is a nurse and supports a family of eight people on his income alone so us kids chip in what we can with our part-time jobs. Thankfully we get really great financial aid.

I've seen people get shadowing and clinical jobs (research asst) because they had a connection through a physician parent. Probably helps make sure you know what to do to get into med school, too. But yeah as far as good grades, MCAT, volunteering, and basic science research experience, I don't think it's any big advantage

Also probably higher chance that your parents will be aware and smart enough to raise you in a healthy environment to increase your chances of success in life

Members don't see this ad :)
My folks are immigrants. My mom has been working minimum wage jobs after being laid off years ago. My dad works in a factory making computers. I wonder how my life would have been if my parents were more well off by being doctors or having some form of education. I'm hoping for a successful cycle nevertheless.

This. I am lucky to have parents who have paid for everything and will pay for medical school (though I think my parents are hoping I stay at my state schools :p). That's why I support SES disadvantaged on the application. Can't imagine how I could've gotten through college working full time like many people I know.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the opposite of what research has shown. I suck at looking up papers though, so maybe someone else can help? I tried but couldn't find anything.

According to a paper I read, intelligence is based on: 60% genes and 40% environmental

This. I am lucky to have parents who have paid for everything and will pay for medical school (though I think my parents are hoping I stay at my state schools :p). That's why I support SES disadvantaged on the application. Can't imagine how I could've gotten through college working full time like many people I know.

You just do it. There's no secret. You just get less sleep and have less free time.

You just do it. There's no secret. You just get less sleep and have less free time.

No I get that haha, what I meant was that it is exceptionally more difficult to balance work full time and school full time.

I read this as "They don't know about the whole medicine thing" the first time through. :laugh:

No I get that haha, what I meant was that it is exceptionally more difficult to balance work full time and school full time.

Yeah, it is. But you get used to it. You can always do more. I thought working full time and going to school was hard until I went to school, worked full time, and had a family. And then I thought that was hard until I did all that and deployed. You adapt and overcome.

Reactions: 2 users
Both of my parents are janitors, but my grandfather was a physician

low key im a billionaire. Both my parents are Janitors for Trump

edited. nvm.