Who else is f*** up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cad_15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Damn...I am so screwed that I do not know what to do.......23P on that stupid exam.....my 3.8 gpa is worthless now....specially that I am an international student (6 on verbal.........what the f*** is this crap all about?)

:( :( :( :scared: :scared: :wow: :wow: :wow: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

23P.........damn man........

im sorry.
i guess you have to start preparing for next year and just use this year as an experience builder.

your GPA is good too.....
well dont hang your head too much. who knows...this might be a blessing in disguise to come out blazing next year.

Those faces below your message are cute :)

My roommate found out his score just now....25P...so he's retaking it too sometime in the future (He's a California resident though)

Members don't see this ad :)
cad_15,
I know how disappointing it is to not get the score you want by a long shot...but don't get too down...life is full of crap like this.

Your gpa rocks and i'm sure you have great ECs...you can take your chances and apply to a few lower tier schools this year and see what happens. And if nothing comes out of it, take the test again...
There are so many twists and turns in life and some of my greatest disappointments have turned into amazing opportunities.

good luck!
JonnieQ

I know that you may hear this over and over, but I will say it anyways. Hang in there!

If you give up know, you might as well flip burgers or utilize you undergraduate degree.

If you did not quit up till now, then why would you?

There are so many twists and turns in life and some of my greatest disappointments have turned into amazing opportunities.

If it weren't for many of the "disappointments" in my life, I would of never considered medicine, let alone of made many of the positive changes in my life (My GPA is next) :)

Don't let 1 test day stand inbetween you and your dream!

I'd look at it as you'll one day be an inspiration to someone else in the future, who also gets a 23, and feels defeated. If you keep posting on here after you OWN the MCAT when you retake, then you can give meaning to your original score.

If the Adcom ask, there are a million reasons you can say for the low original score (i'm sure people who have interviewed have great examples.

Hi Cad... I feel your pain... first time I did the MCAT I got a 5!!!! yup a realy REALLY BAD score and an overall of 25Q.... I redid and redid the damn test and finally managed to get a 7 on verbal and 12 in the other sections... leading to a 31O still though.... its all about that darn verbal ain't it?!?:rolleyes:

Take the GRE's an apply to grad school. I'm not being sarcastic or telling you to give up being a doctor, but you may have to put it on hold for a year until you ace the MCATs. With your GPA, you shouldn't have any trouble getting into a master's program. Many colleges have a system where if you plan your senior year right and do your grad work at that school, you can get your master's in one year. The upside comes in that you have another chance to do well on the MCAT's, you can get a good recomendation from your research advisor, and you'll have a graduate degree on your resume. In all, you could end up a stronger applicant than you might have been this time around if you had done closer to your expectations in the MCAT. Even if you decide to take your chances with these stats, I would still consider applying to grad programs, because if you don't get any hits for next fall, you may find yourself with a lot of free time until the next round of applications comes about, and you have to explain what you did for the previous year. As has been said before, don't give up, but a backup plan never hurts either ;)

Hey there! I was in the same boat last year, so I know how you feel. I retook the exam this year and went from a 6 to 9 in VR. Definitely retake the exam next year since all the other parts of your application are solid. Best of luck to you!

Hey, your life's not over (even though you may feel like it is). I was in your same situation a year ago. I took the MCAT in Aug. 2002 and made a 25J. I decided that I wasn't going to give up and let this test beat me so I studied the Kaplan books for most of the summer and got a 29L this august. This test takes determination to do well on so just hang in there-your hard work will pay off!

Keep your head up. Think about taking an extra year, or applying DO. Youll make due out of it all, dont worry too much.

Best of Luck!

no offense, but "apply DO" is not good advice to someone with a 23. Sure, people get in to some schools with that score (DO and MD), but they are definitely exceptions.

cad, re-taking the MCAT is not the end of the world (although nobody wants to take that awful thing again). Averageman's suggestion of grad school is not a bad one so that you have something to show for that year. Good luck! :D

Dr. Mom, it depends on if he lives in a state with a DO school that gives preferance to residents. If he does, then a 23 at many of these DO schools isn't the exception. The 50% at some DO schools is 23-25, so I don't see how a 23 is that unusual.

Members don't see this ad :)
at my school it is definitely the exception. Even an in-state applicant's chances are poor with a 23, unless they are a URM. Even then, it's pretty low. I don't know which school you're giving stats for, though.

My point is, some people think that a 23 gives you a good shot at DO, but that just can't be counted on.

If you really have a 3.8, you will get accepted to 75% of the osteopathic schools you apply to w/ a 23P. Osteopathic schools fall over themselves touting that you are more than a number & your 3.8 shows that you're able to handle hard work.

Originally posted by johnhopeful
If you really have a 3.8, you will get accepted to 75% of the osteopathic schools you apply to w/ a 23P. Osteopathic schools fall over themselves touting that you are more than a number & your 3.8 shows that you're able to handle hard work.

Since you like throwing around numbers, I'll tell you that your statement is 100% false in 100% of the situations.

First, it depends on what schools the applicant applies to. If certain schools are applied to, then the applicant has a 0% chance of admittance.

Your generalities regarding DO schools certainly aren't helping the applicant. That MCAT scores is poor no matter which way you cut it, although the GPA is wonderful.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Since you like throwing around numbers, I'll tell you that your statement is 100% false in 100% of the situations.

First, it depends on what schools the applicant applies to. If certain schools are applied to, then the applicant has a 0% chance of admittance.

Your generalities regarding DO schools certainly aren't helping the applicant. That MCAT scores is poor no matter which way you cut it, although the GPA is wonderful.

I know multiple individuals who are enrolled in osteopathic medical school w/ <23 MCATs & GPA of <3.3 so I guess your data is flawed.......

At one of the Texas schools someone got admitted with a 19 on the MCAT. I don't know that person's GPA though, but a 3.8 is high.

That girl who is really active on the student blogs got into TCOM EDP with a 24 and a high GPA from TCU. She didn't even retake.

Thanks guys, it has really been helpful to read what you had to say. I think that I will start looking at master programs and see where I go from here......this damn think will not get me this way and like a famous person, now governor said,..............................I WILL BE BACK.....MCAT (look for me at the corner and be careful)

Please don't think that it's impossible to get into medical school with a 23 on the MCAT. Yeah, it's certainly not going to win any awards, but all hope is not lost either.

Here's the proof:

My MCAT (10-VR, 6-PS, 7-BS, S-WS) 23S
Accepted to 3 DO schools (touro, western, and lecom)
waitlisted at UTMB (MD school in TX)
GPA 3.5

Know, obviously, I wasn't going to get into friggin' Harvard or Hopkins or anything, but I'm still going to be a physician, which is what really counts at the end of the day.

So, retake if you want to retake, but do consider applying. You're certainly not going to get in if you never apply.

Good Luck

You guys are right. All hope is NEVER lost, but citing three examples of people you know or have heard about (out of how many total applicants?) doesn't make it the norm.

dr mom, yeah your school, Kirksville, and Pcom tends to have the highest DO mcat averages. Others, however, have mcat averages in the 23-25 range. The one in west virginia actually has an mcat range below that. NOVA in florida also has a pretty high average for a DO school(26-27)

Not trying to start a flame war as to which is better or worse.....just stating that people with lower stats need to consider osteopathic schools.