Quantcast

who else is fed up with stony brook?

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dittozip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone else fed up with stony brook. i interviewed there about 10 weeks ago and still no answer. when you call all you get is it can be months before you hear. i dont know about anyone else, but this worries me about what 4 years at this place can be like. do you think all offices at teh school operate in this way?

RinaBe

hello hello
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you think your interviews went? Maybe it means you're borderline for an acceptance and they want to think about more it before deciding on acceptance vs. waitlist? Could be a good thing because a ton of us got waitlisted at the end of November, and looking through MDapps, I don't see any cases of rejections post-interview.

Darksmurf

I'm the boy smurf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone else fed up with stony brook. i interviewed there about 10 weeks ago and still no answer. when you call all you get is it can be months before you hear. i dont know about anyone else, but this worries me about what 4 years at this place can be like. do you think all offices at teh school operate in this way?

I'm not sure what kind of experience you've had at other places, but this is relatively standard fare. Some schools won't tell you anything until March. I don't think they are holding out on you, they just haven't made a decision yet. I wouldn't help them along with any reason to reject.

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ditto-

I think that the Stony Brook Admissions Committee, which has a vast pool of interviewers, holds meetings only a few times a month. Those meetings are held at various times throughout the day. So if your interviewer was an MD, and he does clinical work at the time of the meetings, your interview might not be reviewed until the next meeting your interviewer can make it to.

I hope that the downtime doesn't make you think negatively about the school, because I really do like it.

You do, of course, hold the trump card; if your fears about the school are that great, withdraw your application.

dc

dittozip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
its hard not to think negativly of a school taht drags the process out weeks past the point that they told you, you would hear. i heard it from the deans mouth, 4-6 weeks. nows its like 10.

anyone else have the same issue with them?

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was at 6 weeks when I got my waitlist email.

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree that you have a reason to be anxious about not hearing, but this might be one of those things that are unusual or not planned for. I strongly believe that the reason I mentioned before is contributing to your issue.

dc

Darksmurf

I'm the boy smurf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
its hard not to think negativly of a school taht drags the process out weeks past the point that they told you, you would hear. i heard it from the deans mouth, 4-6 weeks. nows its like 10.

anyone else have the same issue with them?

As someone wiser already said, if it bugs you that much, withdraw. That would teach them to drag the process out. I mean, school doesn't start for another 8 months. What does a couple more weeks matter?