Who got a pain fellowship offer and where

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested to know how many out there have signed for pain fellowships and what percentage are in anesthesia VS rehab pain fellowships.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I too am considering PM&R with the hopes of doing a pain fellowship and would like to hear some real-life stories of PM&R grads who got into accredited pain fellowships.

Surely, aren't there enough spots for both anes and PM&R applicants who want to do pain?

Thanks, Frank

pain fellowship is the most compatetive one . Most anesthesia residents this year were interested in it since has good hours and good pay. We have to compete with them for the spots, makes is even more difficult for us. Early investment in time and doing electivs with them in Pgy-2 or 3 will have positive effect on you getting the fellowship offer. The few programs in PMR also train good interventionalists but the competition for them is also high. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, The University of Michigan PM&R program now has an ACGME approved Pain Management Fellowship. The department also has an Interventional Spine/MSK Fellowship.

Regards.

thanks for the info on U-michigan- got that interview but didnt travel since i secured a position prior to that . thanks anyways

I know that Pain fellowships are really competitive, but I also know that there are a lot of non-acredited programs out there that will train you in pain procedures that are begging for residents. Can anyone comment on the job market for pain managment positions with respect to residents that are trained in pain procedures, but not at an acredited program.

I heard that in the future, pain managment jobs may require people to have an acredited fellowship in order to do those procedures.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Gecko