who got accepted and has a aadssas GPA under 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubicw86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you got accepted with a GPA under 3.0, then share the info!!!

much love :love:

Members don't see this ad.

. . . .crickets chirping . . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
sunflower, may I ask where did u get accepted?

I know dental schools watch this site so I'd rather not say just yet - PM me.

sunflower, i sent a pm to you, let me know where you got in when you have a chance. thanks

Ok, I'll admit it. I had a 2.9 undergrad gpa! But I earned my master's and will graduate tomorrow with a 3.5, so I am not sure if I count. I am attending UDM, class of 2011!

After three years I was finally accepted into dental school!!! GPA just slightly under 3.0

2.99cGPA + Grad work= 3 acceptances

I got in with just a little over a 3.0, but I had a 3.6 in graduate work. On the positive side for people looking for hope, I am white. Remember, while it shouldn't, race does make a big difference...possibly gender too, but many more females are applying now so I'm not sure on that one. This in no way implies that minorities or females that get into dental school aren't as strong of applicants. I am female. I think dental schools only pick applicants that they know can succeed regardless of race. Still, I think minority groups can get in with a lower GPA as long as something else is positive in their application. I'm sure everyone knew this though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
im confuse about one thing, in order to get into a master program, you would need a 3.0 or above. I read that some of you guys have grad work and your undergrad GPA is below 3.0.

How did u guys get in??

:love:

hey armorshell did you get into UOP???

:love:

I got in with just a little over a 3.0, but I had a 3.6 in graduate work. On the positive side for people looking for hope, I am white. Remember, while it shouldn't, race does make a big difference...possibly gender too, but many more females are applying now so I'm not sure on that one. This in no way implies that minorities or females that get into dental school aren't as strong of applicants. I am female. I think dental schools only pick applicants that they know can succeed regardless of race. Still, I think minority groups can get in with a lower GPA as long as something else is positive in their application. I'm sure everyone knew this though :)

Well, not for Asians. They have slightly higher GPA and DAT scores than White, but the acceptance rate is about 8% less (White is about 50%, Asian is about 42%) according to ADEA guide book 2006. I think it's because they are over-represented minorities lol.

No, I agree Asians if anything have it tougher. I guess I meant underrepresented minorities (aka african americans and hispanics) I know a couple that got in with a 2.7 and no post graduate work. I believe that I would not have had a chance with a 2.7 coming fresh out of undergrad.

I got in after 5 times applying with a cumulative gpa of 2.7

I talked to an admission advisor about the race thing before, and this is what they told me:

whether your white, asian, african american, indian, or mexican, the admission percentage are all the same.

Its how u represent urself in the application that counts.

u got a low GPA, then make yourself look good with a high DAT score, improvements, extracurricular, good interviews, maybe masters degree, and good personal statement, then they will put you in the "think about it" pile rather than the "rejection" pile.

If you do all this, and ur unlucky, the worse thing could happen is ending up in the high end of the waiting list and that usually indicates acceptance becuz ppl do change their minds.

hey even my asian fwend with a 2.5 got in

No, I agree Asians if anything have it tougher. I guess I meant underrepresented minorities (aka african americans and hispanics) I know a couple that got in with a 2.7 and no post graduate work. I believe that I would not have had a chance with a 2.7 coming fresh out of undergrad.

Yeah~ it's sad to know that there are applicants who got rejected even though they are more qualified than those who got accepted because of diversity (or affirmative action). But life is full of unfairness and you have to overwhelm it lol.

hey even my asian fwend with a 2.5 got in

yeah that's one particular case not representing the whole situation. And GPA is not only thing adcoms look at, so you are right about your above statement. But there are dental schools that use affirmative action also.

hmm it does make sense now, cuz affirmitive action preserves diversity. If there is no affirmitive actions then we would have people making accusations about racisms and everything to the admissions.

They will be like, "hey why arent there any of this group of people in dent school?"

I guess the admission advisors would not admit that they do affirmitive action or it will make them sound racist.

If an applicant's parents are asian, but some of their relatives are german, what should the applicant put down caucasian or asian.

LOL! I doubt that the .001% of minority students who get into dental school would have much of an affect on the "fairness" of acceptances...ppl tend to want to blame their misfortunes on something I guess. I know for a fact that less than 1.5% of dentists are black. F.Y.I

Yeah~ it's sad to know that there are applicants who got rejected even though they are more qualified than those who got accepted because of diversity (or affirmative action). But life is full of unfairness and you have to overwhelm it lol.

Personally, I never blamed anything on affirmative action, but I do firmly believe that if a white, male applicant and a black, female applicant had a 2.9 and the same DAT, community service, dental observation etc. the black female would be chosen before the white male. True of course that MANY less underrep. minorities apply.

That being said, I am a white, female, conservative republican from an upper middle class upbringing that though does not agree with many aspects of affirmative action never inteded the thread to go in this direction...or cause hurt feelings or defensive posts. Maybe we should stay with the original topic? Sorry guys. :oops:

haha its cool sugarNACL
i agree with ur info on affirmitive actions.

hahah, Im just not sure if i should put on an application that Im caucasian or asian lol, since im both

LOL! I doubt that the .001% of minority students who get into dental school would have much of an affect on the "fairness" of acceptances...ppl tend to want to blame their misfortunes on something I guess. I know for a fact that less than 1.5% of dentists are black. F.Y.I

Who or what can we blame for such a low % of black dentists? and how can we fix it? Is this low number a result of lack of interest in dentistry or simply the result of ignorance of the profession?

In my opinion, it's definitely not because blacks and hispanics are not as smart as say whites and asians. I think it's more about the upbringing, culture and circumstances. Asians do well in school because education is highly, and I mean highly valued in asian culture. Also, if you look closely, most ""smarty" asians are second or third generation Americans. There are two groups of asian Americans:

The first group are those who are highly educated people who fled their country due to political/religious/economic reasons. These asian americans already have strong backgrounds in the academics and know the value of having a solid education. In the US, they will continue with their lifestyle of embracing education.

The second group are those who are not as educated but also fled their country for religious/political/economic reasons. In most asian countries, education is a privilege not a right so Asian Americans see education as an escape from poverty and so they encourages it and nurture it with utmost sincerity. That is how the "smart" asian stereotype came about. There are smart and stupid people in every race, but like a famous guy once said.. "success is about 5% intelligence and 95% perseverence". So mostly, it's about how hard you work. We all know there are those who succeed because they are 95% intelligence and 5% perseverence, but for the rest of us... the other case is true.

I think one good way of bringing up the number of minority dentists is to expose minority kids to the medical field-dentistry,medicine....- and stress the importance of education as the key to getting there. All of this should start at an early age. Having parents who support and encourages interests in education particularly math and the sciences really helps. I understand that it's hard to be the pusher when you're working 3 jobs to put food on the table but first generation Asian American parents do the same and still managed to kick their kids' behinds when they get an A- in Math instead of an A+. Parents should really put their kids on guilt trips. THey can start by saying.."my child, I'm working 3 jobs these days and you know why? because I want you to have a better future so baby boy you better get up..get out and get those darn A plusses."

I know that alot of Asian parents all expect and want their kids to become dentists, doctors and pharmacists. It seems that this is effective in giving their kids the push to become....dentists, doctors and pharmacists. So that could be another solution: instilled it in the kids that he/she can and will become a professional in the medical field. I know a lot of asian kids resent their parents for pushing them into the medical field but most of them become thankful later on. Make education excellence a habit.
see? it's all about the upbringing..
most black kids dream of becoming the Micheal Jordans/snoop dogs of the future
while most asian kids dreams of becoming doctors/dentists... at least that's what their parents tell them they dream about....

By the way.. we should have affirmative action in Basketball and football....put some asians in the game....no?? :D :laugh: :)

haha its cool sugarNACL
i agree with ur info on affirmitive actions.

hahah, Im just not sure if i should put on an application that Im caucasian or asian lol, since im both

haha...oh geez cubic, I don't know what to tell you on that one. I think NYU's huge class is close to 1/2 asian, but to some schools I'm sure it can work against you. http://www.adea.org/resources/OG/OG_3_WhereToApply.pdf

yay i have hope now lol