who got into pharmacy with low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Instead of making a new thread, I'll spew my story and concerns here :) (also, my first post.)

I'm currently an undergraduate biochemistry major with plans to attend pharmacy school after graduating.

Before biochemistry, I was a computer science major. After a few semesters of it, I admitted to myself how miserable I was despite the fact I love computers. But in the end, CS was not right for me. I've always wanted to be a pharmacist, so I took the dive and switched to biochemistry. I should also mention that I did fairly well in my CS classes (As, aside from a C and a D+). However, upon transferring to a new school, I totally lost interest in CS and totally bombed the two CS courses I was taking. (Both were Ds. Also failed calculus 1; I will address this later in the post. But I got a B in psychology!)

Anyways, I'm doing pretty well this semester. I'm looking at a B+ or A- in Gen. Chem. I, a C- or C in the biology class (I'll retake this class next spring when it is offered again), and if I'm lucky I'll pass Calc. 1 this semester with a D. (The math program at this school is all sorts of messed up. Even the really smart students are failing or near-failing because of how awful it is.) And I'm taking an EMT class that I'll most likely get an A.

Volunteer work? At college, I belong to the campus EMS agency and maintain active status. Expanding to outside volunteer work, I'm getting a job at an EMS agency in my local town, and plan on possibly doing non-paid volunteer work at another agency. (Sometime in June, I should be a state-certified EMT-Basic.) I also volunteered with my grandfather and the freemasons in the area.

I'm a 6-year employee of a grocery chain that has a pharmacy. I'm always trying to get a pharmacy tech. job there, but they keep denying me because of my school schedule (even though I'm as flexible as possible. I won't vent my frustration with them here). They know I'm very qualified, but they say my schedule holds me back.

I'm nowhere near ready for the PCAT, so I can't answer questions about that. But I'm a reasonably good test taker, so I expect it to go well when the time comes.

Basically, the thing that scares me the most is GPA. I work every day to be a better student, and I'm hoping to only go up from here. I can't post my current GPA since it's all over the place, especially after such a dramatic change of majors. I feel like a frosh all over again!

My writing skills are great (at least I like to think so), and I have great public speaking skills.

This post may seem like a rant about my struggles at the moment (it's finals week next week, I had a bad day today with tests, among other things), so it is indeed partially a rant to vent my feelings. But I'm also looking for some advice from you guys. I'm looking at three schools: UB, St. John Fisher, and Albany school of pharmacy. UB is a long shot for me, but it gives a good foundation for goals to succeed beyond that of what I think I can do.

Thanks for reading my long post :) Also, you can see I omitted my location, employer, and current school. If you're interested for whatever reason, PM me and you shall receive.