• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

2ndyear

15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
New England
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I registered on the very first day available for New York in April. I thought somewhere it said on there that I was almost guaranteed the date. I was happy, just stay in study mode, and catch the Acela for a nice quick trip to NYC.

Got the ABA paper yesterday in the mail...confirmed for October...in Minneapolis? Now I'm kinda bummed out. So who gets the spring slot?

camkiss

15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2002
suburbs
Status
Attending Physician
I applied about a week after it opened up to do so, and I got the April date. With as screwed up as getting our written results to us was, it does not surprise me that there is no rhyme or reason to who got April vs October. Who got to pick the cities anyway...Minneapolis in October...yuck!

About the Ads

gaspasser2004

Member Since 2004
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Not that I am a huge defender of the ABA, but it did clearly state that all applications received by a certain time (first they said October 15th, then they moved it to December 15th) would have the applicant's preferences considered in a "lottery" fashion. While the ABA didn't say exactly, I think everyone assumes that most people want to get the test over with in the spring so that the "lottery" is a way to fairly bump people from spring to fall. That said, I had my application and check in by September 29th and I "won" the lottery by getting my spring choice.

bubalus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
I replied with my $ online the day the results were posted, and before I received the email that I passed. I requested April and ended up with October. That's the way it goes. Now I've got more time to put off studying.

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
Cut and paste from the ABA website:

Dear Dr. Guillotti:

This is to acknowledge that, on Friday, October 10, 2008, the ABA received your credit card payment in the amount of $1,850.00 U.S. dollars. This amount was charged and received as payment for your 2009 Primary Certification Oral Exam Reply Form.

:mad::mad::mad:
:mad::mad::mad:

objdoc

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Payed for the oral within hours of email notification of passing written

Got the October date

Very unhappy

:(

CambieMD

cambiemd
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I received an April test date. I applied for the orals about a day after I obtained my e-mail from the ABA stating that I passed the written exam.

Cambie

soorg

Board-certified maniac
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
I applied 1 day after I got my written results, requesting NYC in April. Of course, I got Minneapolis in October. I live 10 MINUETS away from midtown Manhattan! WTF?

Worldtraveler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
My wife & applied for Oral boards the day after we checked our results online(requesting NY). Both of us received October. Looks like thats the way the cookie crumbled!

maceo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
would you all quit whining..

the april date has more failures

the fall date is better.. pm me for the reason why...\

I too wanted the april date and go tthe fall date. even though i had to fly a longer way.. it turned out to be much much better.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Not home
Status
Attending Physician
If you're going to tell anyone anyway, why don't you just post it here? :rolleyes:

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
would you all quit whining..

the april date has more failures

I too wanted the april date and go tthe fall date. even though i had to fly a longer way.. it turned out to be much much better.
Whining?:confused:

Since obviously you are much more knowledgeable than us:rolleyes: why don't you let the rest of us in on this "secret?":sleep:

22go

10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
same here,

paid the day results were listed with request for spring, October instead.

Looks like all the type-A folks get to visit Minneapolis.

michael3469

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2008
pennsylvania
Status
Attending Physician
Traditionally most people who took the boards for the fist time took it in April. October saw more repeat takers and foreign grads. Thus, if you were a first time American grad it was thought that you would stand out and have a better chance of passing in the October pool. With the increasing number of residents graduating and taking the orals the number of examiners have not really increased. If before you were virtually garanteed an April date if you wanted one, now a lot more get October. With so many first time takers taking the Orals in October as well as April any percieved advantage is gone in my opinion.
Michael

About the Ads