Who has 5+ interviews and no acceptance so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usopen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay let's support each other!

I have been waitlisted at EVMS and VTC.. and am waiting to hear back from Penn State, Temple, and VCU.. They were all September-early October interviews.

I am trying to stay positive that I will end up getting in somewhere off of the waitlist but the uncertainty is driving me nuts. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll probably hear back from Temple early next week! Stay positive! Tons of people get in off the waitlist, it is NOT a death sentence! I only have 3 (1 of which was at Temple in late Oct) and am doing my best to remain optimistic with the 3 I have. It's not over yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
11 interviews (attended 8), 3 WL. It's just going to be a lot of waiting through this whole process. I am very grateful for my 11 II's and certainly cannot complain. I just hope one of the 11 takes a chance on me.

When I applied last cycle, I was placed on a lot of waitlists. I was honestly convinced that I had tanked my interviews and would have to reapply. I even sent an email to my health sciences advisor in the beginning of February asking about what I should do to better position my reapplication. In mid February, I got in off the waitlist at one of my top choices. In March, I got accepted to my top choice and withdrew all other applications.

This process can feel so random at times. It is really important to remain humble and to not panic (although pragmatism is important). Not everyone is going to get a "perfect cycle" and the conventional wisdom on SDN is not always true. Every school is unique in how they assess an applicant. If you really like a school that you are waitlisted at, let them know. If after you interview, you realize a particular school is your number one choice, let them know. Obviously there is a fine line between showing enthusiasm and being overwhelmingly needy. But schools want students who will be excited to matriculate. And all else being equal, that enthusiasm may give you the nod for non rolling schools when they are making their final decisions in late winter.

I take your 5+ IIs and raise you 6+ rejections! :p

Hopefully you hear great news from the other schools. Good luck to upcoming interviews for other folks :p

eh, I had 7 wait lists last cycle before my first acceptance…it was torture but made the first once that much sweeter.

So.. if I am waitlisted now, do I wait until spring to send my LOIs? Or should I send them something now (right after waitlist) and send another one in spring?

I would like to know this as well. When is it appropriate to send a LOI?

7 interviews. 1 rejection. 3 waitlists.

I think the timing of a LOI depends on the school. One of the schools where I'm waitlisted loves those letters, so I plan on sending one about every month. On the other hand, if you're waitlisted at Georgetown, the individual reading the LOIs doesn't start until sometime in December and reads the most recent LOIs first. So, probably check last years thread for that school and see if any consensus on LOI timing was reached.

I am curious how to write multiple (different) LOIs. How do you guys plan on doing this? I mean do you still keep the same contents but send them in different time frame? Or do you vary the contents as well? Maybe I should start another forum on this..

By the way, thanks for everyone's support and sharing their own experience!

I am curious how to write multiple (different) LOIs. How do you guys plan on doing this? I mean do you still keep the same contents but send them in different time frame? Or do you vary the contents as well? Maybe I should start another forum on this..

I've definitely been wondering about this, but I think the best option is to make each LOI unique. I would question an applicant's "sincere" interest if he sent me the same letter three times.

There should be enough material and information about the school to write several personalized love letters. Of course, that might mean a considerable amount of bs'ing, and maybe you don't really need to be in love with feature X to write about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to update that I am accepted to Temple :) I hope this helps other applicants who are anxiously waiting to hear back after their interviews. Special thanks to eizeral who wisely predicted that I will be hearing back from Temple soon haha..

Reactions: 2 users
Unless you're an absolute weirdo in interviews, most with 5+ interviews will be accepted somewhere by the end of the cycle. You guys will be fine. I believe the most crucial time to write a LOI for a waitlist spot is around May 15th, when schools actually start making these decisions based on the remaining spots left vacant by applicants who turned them down.

Unless you're an absolute weirdo in interviews, most with 5+ interviews will be accepted somewhere by the end of the cycle. You guys will be fine. I believe the most crucial time to write a LOI for a waitlist spot is around May 15th, when schools actually start making these decisions based on the remaining spots left vacant by applicants who turned them down.

+1, I know a couple people who were waitlisted til the very end, only to be offered acceptances to multiple schools.

You'll probably hear back from Temple early next week! Stay positive! Tons of people get in off the waitlist, it is NOT a death sentence! I only have 3 (1 of which was at Temple in late Oct) and am doing my best to remain optimistic with the 3 I have. It's not over yet!

On interview day, the Associate Director of Admissions said no one came off the waitlist last year after sending out 215 acceptances. She said that probably won't happen this year as they will be sending fewer outright acceptances, but I think we should be prepared at the prospect of there not being very much waitlist movement. They seem to sell their school and the city very well. Other random stats she gave out: every year they take in at least 60% non-trads with an increasing number of them having "international experience".

Each one will be unique. Your LOI should tell them/reinforce why you are a good fit for that school.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I've been on 6 interviews and got 2WL. I should hear back from 3 schools before Christmas. UMass will just take their sweet time and probably won't get back to me until February or March.

Last edited:
No worries. At the end of November the year I applied, this was my status:

Michigan: waitlist, then reject
UPMC: waitlist
Penn: waitlist
GW: waitlist
Maryland: waitlist
Cornell: reject
Drexel: never even got a secondary.

Finally got acceptance from UVA in Dec, canceled a University of Chicago II, and never looked back.

Reactions: 1 users
8 II, 1 rejection, no acceptances. The rejection was from my TOP choice and I am gutted. I have only been on 3 interviews, but back in September. It's discouraging not to have good news yet. My interviews have all gone well...or so I thought! 5 interviews coming up before Christmas. I'm ready for good news!

I'm sure the both of ^^ you two will get accepted to at least one of those 6 schools. No worries

4 II's (Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, and NYMC), 1 pre-interview hold (VCU), and 6 pre-interview rejections (not worth listing). I haven't heard word one back from any of the interviews and am trying to immerse myself in my work to keep my mind off of the perpetual waiting. Good luck everyone!

Bcm utsw uth utmb tcom El Paso waiting on all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk