1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Who has completed the Hepatitis B immunization requirements? (esp. for USC)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WaitingImpatiently, Jul 29, 2002.

1. WaitingImpatiently

WaitingImpatiently Long Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm curious to know if most schools require that all the steps (3, I think) be completed before class starts.

The reason I ask is that at USC, there's a little disclaimer that states if you decline the Hep B immunization, you can't see patients or participate in rotations, etc. I'm not going to decline the immunization, but when school starts, I'll have only completed the first 2 steps, with step 3 six months away. For other USC folks, does this mean I can't do ICM until then? :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kidsmd

kidsmd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My friend had to do this for her clinicals for nursing, and she was in a similar situation. As far as I know. as long as u have started, it should be okay. My dad (who's a doctor), has seen a lot of people in this situation and he says most schools are fine with it.

4. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I forget the exact numbers, but most people are relatively protected from HepB infection after the second immunization, IIRC. In fact, I'd bet you're more protected in the few weeks after your second dose than five years after your third.
    </$0.02>

5. riley290

riley290 Slacker
    7+ Year Member

I thought there was a study that showed that you were as protected years later as when you recieved the immunization. That's why you don't need a booster. But I'm probably wrong.

6. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it depends on how you measure protection. If you figure a typical infective dose is only of a certain number of HBV virions, then you only need a certain antibody titer, which you'll usually maintain for years (>10). But some people's titers do dip, and I know some people get them tested every now and then and will get a boost to keep their titer up. BUT, if you quantify the titer, yeah, it's going to fall gradually. Luckily that decline is usually pretty insignificant clinically - if you're exposed, you prolly still will not get infected since you still have way more antibody than necessary.

But, be warned, I only skimmed this material in my infections disease epidemiology class last year. Maybe I'll re-read this tomorrow...or maybe I'll finish another app.

7. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you don't need the full series to start, at my school at least. it would be impossible for them to make such a requirement. it's given in a series of 3 as other posters have stated. the first one is followed by another one a month later, then the third and final one is 6 months later. so at my school you need the first one completed/documented before you can begin. then you just mail the other documents as you get the 2nd and 3rd shots. my arm was sore for a few days after that thing, g'luck!

btw: you need all 3 to start M3 clinical rotations, not preceptor stuff, etc.

8. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I still need to do everything. I might have done that in the past, (Hep B), But I donno. It would suck if I couldn't do ICM until January. We'll, maybe it wouldn't suck.

9. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

UCSF requires that you have the first two done before classes start. You get the third one during your first year. So, you really only need a month's time b/c the first two have to be a month apart, I think.

10. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know if USC would allow a student to do so, but my school required either titers for the original Hep B or the booster. I had the titers performed and it showed that I still had active immunity. (My antibody count was on the higher end of the range.) My school feared that my original vaccination was over 5 years. (They claim that the immunity wears after 5-7 years.) So, they allowed me to take another titer and when that showed active immunity again, I signed a paper that said I had active immunity and would wait to do a Hep B booster until 2nd or 3rd year.

You should see if USC would let you provide a titer and if it's fine, then start the booster when school commences.

11. Ceez

Ceez Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'm in the same situation. i've had my first shots already, but i won't get the third until October.

12. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've taken the first two, but I'll take the last one at the end of November, which is well after the school year starts.

13. AznTrojan

AznTrojan Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

at usc.. if you don't get all your hep b shots.. they will rescind your acceptance..

all kidding aside... they just tell you to get them.. and like the lemming i am.. i just do.. in fact.. i just completed my last shot last month.. and i'm starting my 2nd year on monday..

and yes.. you will be able to do icm.. w/o the full 3 shots..