Who has sweet summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are you doing this summer?

• summer rotation

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • loiter/travel (do tell what and where)

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • work, ugh, gotta make that money man

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • other (do tell what and where)

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

solitude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So while we applicants are all mired in our final semesters of college or our last few months of work before resuming our interminable educational journeys, anybody have fun plans for the summer?

This could also be a good place to re-hash the old debate over whether to do summer rotations. Obviously this has been done before, but it could be interesting to hear opinions from the present crop of applicants.

Since it's my thread/poll, I guess I'll start. If I can help it, I'll wait to start school until the fall. I'm going to Europe, Fiji (if all goes according to plan), playing much golf and reading many books. I've planned it so that I will deplete essentially all of my life savings just in time for my first MSTP paycheck...

Members don't see this ad.

Since it's my thread/poll, I guess I'll start. If I can help it, I'll wait to start school until the fall. I'm going to Europe, Fiji (if all goes according to plan), playing much golf and reading many books. I've planned it so that I will deplete essentially all of my life savings just in time for my first MSTP paycheck...

Vegas: May 8 - 12

Graduation: May 17

Europe: May 19 - Jun 12

Hawaii: Jun 13 - 19

And depending on where I end up, I may still do a summer rotation (if it starts in July) so I put other....

hoping to go to poland/croatia/bulgaria/maybe russia

Members don't see this ad :)
hoping to go to Taiwan...then lab rotations

I was selected by my school for the HHMI International Program. I don't know where they are sending me yet, but it's either Buenos Aires or Paris. Anyone ever gone to the Pasteur Institute? I imagine it would be a wonderful experience.

-Alex

My boyfriend should get his mid tour leave sometime this summer (he's in Iraq with the Army). When that happens we'll take a two week trip somewhere fancy (current contenders seem to be Australia, India and Greece, but who knows).

Plus... I have an invitation to spend my summer working at a camp in the north woods of Maine. Getting paid to spend four weeks sailing/kyaking/playing ultimate frisbee in the beautiful deep woods sounds like a really good way to unwind and decompress before all this medical school business, so if I can do it, I'm going to.

My boyfriend should get his mid tour leave sometime this summer (he's in Iraq with the Army). When that happens we'll take a two week trip somewhere fancy (current contenders seem to be Australia, India and Greece, but who knows).

Wow...God bless him! I hope you guys go somewhere nice and enjoy yourselves!

First off to Romania then Germany and down to Croatia and who knows where from there! Oh, and summer lab rotations after. :D

Good question. I want to take at least part of the summer off, if not all of it. I want to go to India for a few weeks so I can visit extended family, attend my cousin's wedding, etc. Seems like this will be my last chance to go on an extended trip anywhere in a long time. Ideally I'll also get some free time to relax, read books, play tennis, etc.

That said, depending on where I end up, I may be required to do a lab rotation, in which case I will obviously do that. But even then I hope I don't have to start before July, especially after such a stressful year. I only graduate in early June (a consequence of my school starting in late September and having fall semester finals after winter break), and with my current courseload, senior spring is coming to seem over-rated. So I'll definitely want at least the month of June off to recuperate.

I really, really envy those of you guys who got a true winter break without having to study for January finals, and who will graduate practically a whole month before I do - you'll have much-needed (and much-deserved) time off even if you choose to do a summer lab rotation.

so those of you who are loitering/travelling for half the summer and planning to do a rotation for the other half, I'm curious why do a rotation at all? I know a few schools require starting in early July, so that's understandable. Is it for the money? Or you just love science so much that you two can't spend a whole summer apart?

Alas... I have a research fellowship commitment until the end of July and then I assume I will be starting med school at the very beginning of August. I wanted to spend spring break abroad, but I will have to be working on my thesis and an intensive writing course. gah!

Maybe I'll go somewhere that gives me some leeway on the length of my rotations and go gallivanting next summer...

so those of you who are loitering/travelling for half the summer and planning to do a rotation for the other half, I'm curious why do a rotation at all? I know a few schools require starting in early July, so that's understandable. Is it for the money? Or you just love science so much that you two can't spend a whole summer apart?

I like science and the time factor. I know I know I know that you almost never join your first lab and that in the grand scheme of 8 years an additional 2 months is nothing BUT if I'm switching fields it might be more important to gain some new skills in the summer before looking for thesis labs....

we should try to organize a mudphud europe get together!

I'm required to start roughly June 1st so my trip to Europe is gonna be super speedy!

Members don't see this ad :)
I like science and the time factor. I know I know I know that you almost never join your first lab and that in the grand scheme of 8 years an additional 2 months is nothing BUT if I'm switching fields it might be more important to gain some new skills in the summer before looking for thesis labs....

we should try to organize a mudphud europe get together!

how about New Zealand instead?

Mud-phud trip to China for the Olympics!

Hopefully a relaxing trip to the French countryside followed by much loitering. At the end of the summer I hope to be headed back to Europe instead of an MSTP (crosses fingers for Gates!).

Hopefully a relaxing trip to the French countryside followed by much loitering. At the end of the summer I hope to be headed back to Europe instead of an MSTP (crosses fingers for Gates!).

I don't know about that.... I heard from a very reliable source that you are a superficial b$tch. Is that really Gates material? :p

I hope to return to Honduras, to do some cheap Caribbean sightseeing and volunteer work. While at the same time keeping my spanish fresh, something I can only hope to do on a annual or semiannual basis.

I think the incentive of doing a summer rotation is to perhaps speed up your graduation date by even the slightest amount. Some programs require a certain number of rotations, and getting them out of the way sooner rather than later, can certainly make you more likely to graduate in 7 years versus 8. Well this is at least why I want to do a summer rotation.

For everyone who said Europe or something equally vague - details!

My plan (very tentative):

London - chunnel to Paris - Rome via Berne or Zurich - Florence (maybe) - Venice - Vienna - Frankfurt/Berlin - Amsterdam

gonna be fast paced but I consider myself an energetic person....

See the sites during the day, party at night, Set and Travel Scrabble for down time!

London - chunnel to Paris - Rome via Berne or Zurich - Florence (maybe) - Venice - Vienna - Frankfurt/Berlin - Amsterdam

See the sites during the day, party at night, Set and Travel Scrabble for down time!

I LOVE how you've fit party and scrabble into the same sentence!

I LOVE how you've fit party and scrabble into the same sentence!

yeah

you obviously never met me....

I am, without a doubt, a huge DORK...but the really cool, fun sort!

A fun dork? Oxymoron! Anyways...are most people forgoing the summer rotation if its optional?

Haha my plan so far:

Europe this summer.

Yeah I think mine is more tentative. I think I'll be in most of the same places, that sounds like a pretty sweet itinerary.

Haha my plan so far:

Europe this summer.

Yeah I think mine is more tentative. I think I'll be in most of the same places, that sounds like a pretty sweet itinerary.

It's also relatively unoriginal considering it makes a circle through major European cities...

gosh, reading all this is making me reconsider my rather blah plan of graduating/working/moving/rotating. Maybe I should throw "traveling" in there at some point, eh?

It's also relatively unoriginal considering it makes a circle through major European cities...

yeah but it's loooong. I feel like most people that I know tend to dwell in fewer countries rather than making the whole loop.

yeah but it's loooong. I feel like most people that I know tend to dwell in fewer countries rather than making the whole loop.

Well ideally I'd spend the whole time in Italy as I've never been but I'm compromising with 2 other people...so yes, it's going to be INTENSE but fun!

TRAVEL SCRABBLE here i come!

and SET is also an awesome game for long train rides

=

and SET is also an awesome game for long train rides

I always knew that I had found kindred spirits in the mudphud world, but your affection for set clearly proves it.

I <3 that game.

research fellowship (Montreal or Dublin, not decided yet) -> conference in Berlin -> Bremerhaven (Germany, visiting teh family) -> back to Montreal

Well, since I graduated in December, am currently on vacation, and am having a hard time waking up before 11 am and sleeping before 3, I will be more than happy to start a summer rotation in June!

Woohooo! Summer Rotation people and Vacation people are tied with 7 votes! May the race continue!:p

Well, since I graduated in December, am currently on vacation, and am having a hard time waking up before 11 am and sleeping before 3, I will be more than happy to start a summer rotation in June!

I'm still in school and I have trouble sleeping before 3 and waking up before 11. You are not alone.

I've got to tip the scale for slacking off...will 8 weeks really make a difference in the next 8 years?

Planning to make my first trip ever to Europe...Germany and Italy in particular. Also, I've been dying to see Machu Picchu, so hopefully I make it to Peru as well. Been checking out Intrepid Travel trips lately.

Also, have to visit friends in the states...looking forward seeing Seattle for the first time too.

I've got to tip the scale for slacking off...will 8 weeks really make a difference in the next 8 years?

Planning to make my first trip ever to Europe...Germany and Italy in particular. Also, I've been dying to see Machu Picchu, so hopefully I make it to Peru as well. Been checking out Intrepid Travel trips lately.

Also, have to visit friends in the states...looking forward seeing Seattle for the first time too.

are you like one of those crazy canucks i hear about?

How do you guys schedule trips through Europe? I'm just curious... Do you just basically book series of tickets manually, or do you follow some travel guide? I'm thinking maybe I want to see Europe for the first time myself...

are you like one of those crazy canucks i hear about?

Crazy, probably...but canadian, no. I just meant my traveling would include some interstate travel as well as some travel abroad...

How do you guys schedule trips through Europe? I'm just curious... Do you just basically book series of tickets manually, or do you follow some travel guide? I'm thinking maybe I want to see Europe for the first time myself...

You could check:

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/

if you're planning to travel alone, but the trips can be expensive. I'm planning to meet a friend in Paris (who will hopefully be pretty savvy after being in Europe for several months) and wing it with the help of travel guides.

My boyfriend and I have done both China and England/Wales/France booking things on our own. It requires a lot more work to do it this way, but you also have more freedom/flexibility and the opportunity to discover real gems that are off the beaten path and have experiences that you would otherwise miss out on. I think that it's worth the extra effort 1000 fold to do the planning yourself. I wouldn't trade our experiences riding the 2nd class train halfway across China (the only foreigners in our car) or staying for five days as the ONLY guests in a tiny cozy little B&B in northwest Wales for anything, even with all the glitches/challenges that come with planning it yourself.

Get a good guidebook(s) and at least 2 REALLY REALLY good maps. The internet is your friend. Find a travel partner that you really don't get sick of, someone you know you will still like/love even when they are showing off their most annoying qualities (mine: suitcase ALWAYS too big, map-reading skills limited and successful only when stationary). Do it yourself. You won't regret it.

Speaking of which, I'm planning 18 days in Australia right now... anyone have any great places that shouldn't be missed?

My boyfriend and I have done both China and England/Wales/France booking things on our own. It requires a lot more work to do it this way, but you also have more freedom/flexibility and the opportunity to discover real gems that are off the beaten path and have experiences that you would otherwise miss out on. I think that it's worth the extra effort 1000 fold to do the planning yourself. I wouldn't trade our experiences riding the 2nd class train halfway across China (the only foreigners in our car) or staying for five days as the ONLY guests in a tiny cozy little B&B in northwest Wales for anything, even with all the glitches/challenges that come with planning it yourself.

Get a good guidebook(s) and at least 2 REALLY REALLY good maps. The internet is your friend. Find a travel partner that you really don't get sick of, someone you know you will still like/love even when they are showing off their most annoying qualities (mine: suitcase ALWAYS too big, map-reading skills limited and successful only when stationary). Do it yourself. You won't regret it.

Speaking of which, I'm planning 18 days in Australia right now... anyone have any great places that shouldn't be missed?
Oh, so much to see there! Ayers Rock, the Great Barrier Reef, all the cool stuff in Sydney (the Harbour, Opera House, etc.), the Gold Coast beaches (near Brisbane, I think?)... Melbourne's nice, too. My parents have the most beautiful pictures of the drive from Sydney to Canberra. Oh, and how could I forget Penguin Island! According to my parents I enjoyed it a lot. :)

Unfortunately I was a mere toddler when we were living in Australia (we were there for ~ 2 yrs), so I remember very little of it all. Lucky Mum and Dad had the time of their lives, though I feel Australia was pretty much wasted on me. I've long wanted to go back and visit, now that I am actually of an age to appreciate and remember what I see, and I wish I had the time to go this summer! I hope you have a wonderful time there.

Only thing to keep in mind is that it will be winter there when it's summer here in the Northern hemisphere; not that their winters are that harsh anyway (certainly not compared to the north-eastern US or the Midwest, for example).

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll see how my summer free-time is shaping up!

A few weeks in Japan and a few months scuba diving in Thailand or another SE asian country I hope.

As for how to travel... Pick up a backpacker travel guide (Let's Go, Lonely Planet esp. on a shoestring) and good luck :D It seems intimidating at first, but I've done it so many times in so many odd places that it doesn't phase me at all anymore.

A few weeks in Japan and a few months scuba diving in Thailand or another SE asian country I hope.

I've heard Phuket is amazing - I'm so jealous!

BUT

how do you get this free time? PhD wrapping up and you have a couple of months before heading back to the wards?

I've heard Phuket is amazing - I'm so jealous!

If I go diving on Thailand it'll be Ko Tao, but I'm afraid it's too touristy. I don't like touristy places.

how do you get this free time? PhD wrapping up and you have a couple of months before heading back to the wards?

You got it. I take about a month of international travel per year anyways, but this year I'm hoping to tack onto that.

I really want the dog in your avatar, he's so cute!...I didn't even know the limbs of a dog could bend that way...

If I go diving on Thailand it'll be Ko Tao, but I'm afraid it's too touristy. I don't like touristy places.

(OT) Have you been to Belize? I only snorkel (trying to find a good time to get certified for diving that isn't in some crappy lake) but it was AMAZING....apparently the second best coral reef (after the Great Barrier Reef). AND it wasn't touristy AT ALL when I visited. I was on Ambergris Caye and there were NO cars - only way to get around was by walking or biking...oh and there were lots of Mayan ruins around

Graduation May 18 --> Summer Rotation Early June

Even just one week of bumming at home is plenty for me... I'll enjoy Atlanta while doing a summer rotation.