Who has the worst secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novawildcat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I filled out almost 20 so far, and I'd have to say Georgetown's is one of the worst. An entire page single spaced is like a 2+ page essay.

Members don't see this ad.

novawildcat said:
I filled out almost 20 so far, and I'd have to say Georgetown's is one of the worst. An entire page single spaced is like a 2+ page essay.

You don't have to use up all of the space, that is just the limit.

MCW had a pretty hard secondary IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't personally fill one out, but everyone has said that the secondaries for Duke and Univ. of Minnesota, duluth are killer.

Vanderbilt. But at least there is motivation the finish the POS

jillibean said:
You don't have to use up all of the space, that is just the limit.

Yeah, no kidding. I don't know why people use the limits as a minimum. Short is sweet.

novawildcat said:
Kentucky, they have a ton of essays and then an extra one for out of state

If i remember from last year...Duke had like 6 full length essay questions or something of that nature. I also believe Rosalind Franklin or Northwestern had an obscene amount of essay questions (not short answer, but like full length).

But yeah, Duke takes the cake.

g3pro said:
Yeah, no kidding. I don't know why people use the limits as a minimum. Short is sweet.

You might not have to use "the limit as the minimum" but if adcoms want to make my life hell by giving me rediculous essays to do, i will make sure i make their life is hell by making them read as much as possible.

novawildcat said:
You might not have to use "the limit as the minimum" but if adcoms want to make my life hell by giving me rediculous essays to do, i will make sure i make their life is hell by making them read as much as possible.

But isn't the goal to make them happy so they will invite you to an interview. I, personally, am not going to make them read a full page of BS if I can answer their question in three paragraphs.

EazyE said:
Kentucky, they have a ton of essays and then an extra one for out of state
Yes, kentucky sucks, i'm still workin on it. Just about to the point i'm just gonna slap something down and let it ride.

uconn's pretty tough too..
6 essays (the questions are uncommon too so u probably won't be able to reuse ur essays) with a 3pg limit (single spaced).

Last year I quit on stanford's...too many questions and essays on diversity and adversity, and I had no idea what to write, even after sitting on the questions for a couple of weeks, so blah.

novawildcat said:

Yea, um, that's probably the worst approach you could take.

novawildcat said:

It isn't like you're hurting them. You're just hurting yourself doing that. Not only did you write an obscenely long essay, which surely took longer than was needed, but also you didn't get in because it pissed off adcoms. So what you get from this strategy is a lot of work with no pay off!