General Admissions & OTCAS Who have you heard back from? 2018-2019 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! AT Still accepted me, and I'm pretty sure I am going to go there. Anyone else so far?? Also, feel free to message me if you have questions about their application process or interview advice. :) I loved it there, and can't wait to start!
Hi! I got accepted to AT Still as well. For now I put a deposit down to hold my spot, I will most likely be attending if I don't get accepted to CSUDH or SJSU!

Members don't see this ad.

Applied: Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Salus, University of the Sciences, Gwenyd Mercy

Interviews: TJU, Temple, Salus
Accepted: Temple, TJU, Usciences

I think I will be going to Jefferson!! I’m a little torn though. I’d love to chat with any other accepted students or anybody in a similar boat. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Applied: Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Salus, University of the Sciences, Gwenyd Mercy

Interviews: TJU, Temple, Salus
Accepted: Temple, TJU, Usciences

I think I will be going to Jefferson!! I’m a little torn though. I’d love to chat with any other accepted students or anybody in a similar boat. Good luck!!!
Congrats! I'm really considering Jefferson too.

Sent from my LG-H872 using SDN mobile

Got into Belmont today I'm so excited! Is anyone else waiting to hear about an interview from TJU? I haven't heard anything from them yet

Got into Belmont today I'm so excited! Is anyone else waiting to hear about an interview from TJU? I haven't heard anything from them yet
I got into Belmont as well! Are you going to accept?

I got into Belmont as well! Are you going to accept?
I'm not sure! I really loved the school but I have interviews at MGH and BU coming up so I think I'm going to wait until I hear from those to decide. What about you?

I'm not sure! I really loved the school but I have interviews at MGH and BU coming up so I think I'm going to wait until I hear from those to decide. What about you?
It's between Belmont and WashU for me and I can't decide! But I only have 2 more weeks to send my deposit for Wash U so I need to soon. I loved Belmont as well. Good luck in your interviews!

Applied: Midwestern (IL), Elmhurst College, University of IL-Chicago, Rush
Interviews: Midwestern (invited on 10/2, scheduled for 11/14), Rush (invited 12/3 for interview on 12/14, declined), Elmhurst (invited 12/7 for interview on 12/17, declined)
Acceptances: Midwestern (notified on 11/16)

I will be attending Midwestern in the Fall. The deposit was $200.

I submitted my OTCAS application 9/21, it was verified 9/25
Dates I received confirmation that my app was received: Midwestern (9/25), UIC (9/27), Rush (10/1), Elmhurst College never notified

Last edited:
I was invited to interview at Chatham on 11/2, accepted to Gannon University (Erie Campus) on 11/8 and accepted to Slippery Rock University on 11/29!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm new here, but I applied to Midwestern on October 21, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Should I be worried?

It's between Belmont and WashU for me and I can't decide! But I only have 2 more weeks to send my deposit for Wash U so I need to soon. I loved Belmont as well. Good luck in your interviews!

I got into Belmont too!! Pretty sure I'm going to accept!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update!

Applied:
AT Still, UIC, Elmhurst College, North Central, NOVA, Governors State, Salus
Acceptances: Salus, North Central
Rejections:
Interviews:
AT Still(denied it), North Central, Nova SE,

GRE:
GPA:3.3 (low I know)
Prereq GPA: 3.8-4.0 depending on school.
Shadowing: Over 500 hours Mostly outpatient Pedes, and some Hand therapy
LOR: 1 OT that I worked with for years, 2 Professors, one is a department head for Health Admin Masters program

I am rejecting the Salus acceptance because North Central is like 15 minutes away from me as opposed to Salus which is 14 hours away. However, I am a little nervous about North Central being in accreditation status.

Hello! AT Still accepted me, and I'm pretty sure I am going to go there. Anyone else so far?? Also, feel free to message me if you have questions about their application process or interview advice. :) I loved it there, and can't wait to start!

Thats so great you got accepted!!!!!! I intend on submitting my application to A.T. Still within the week and am so nervous.
My GPA is average and the majority of my observation hours are at one facility (182hrs pediatric OT, 10hrs hippo therapy, 6hrs subacute). Do you mind sharing your stats/any tips to strengthen my application?

Hi! I got accepted to AT Still as well. For now I put a deposit down to hold my spot, I will most likely be attending if I don't get accepted to CSUDH or SJSU!
Congrats!!! do you mind sharing your stats? what would you say was the strongest part of your application? I want to get an idea of exactly what AT Still is looking for in applicants, its one of my top school :$

Update!

Applied:
Rejections:
Interviews:

GRE:
LOR: 1 OT that I worked with for years, 2 Professors, one is a department head for Health Admin Masters program

I am rejecting the Salus acceptance because North Central is like 15 minutes away from me as opposed to Salus which is 14 hours away. However, I am a little nervous about North Central being in accreditation status.

Hey! I got accepted at north central too and I’m also nervous because of the accreditation status :(
Did you put your deposit already?

Congrats!!! do you mind sharing your stats? what would you say was the strongest part of your application? I want to get an idea of exactly what AT Still is looking for in applicants, its one of my top school :$

Just had an interview with them yesterday! From what I could tell, they care about not just the gpa but personality and if you’re a good fit for the program, as well as personal statement & LORs. They emphasize on being first in wholeperson healthcare and diversity. They still have interview slots for December/January so it could be worth a try! Good luck!

I applied the same time as you did last year and didn’t hear anything until April.
You did not hear back about an interview invite until April? Or had you already interviewed in the fall and heard back about your acceptance in April?

You did not hear back about an interview invite until April? Or had you already interviewed in the fall and heard back about your acceptance in April?

I never heard anything back and they said they stopped looking at the applications and that’s what I heard in April. There were several people that I know that had great applications and are now in top schools that never heard anything back from Midwestern. I heard that they only really seriously look at apps from August and September. They aren’t as on top of their game with apps compared to the Arizona campus.

Applied: Brenau University, Chatham University, Messiah College, Gannon University, Indiana State University, Salus University, Davenport University, and Abilene Christian University
Interviews: Messiah College(11/9), Chatham University(12/8), Brenau University(1/18)
Acceptances: Gannon University(11/8), Messiah College(12/18) and Chatham University (3/13)

OTCAS application submitted on 8/28, it was verified 8/30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, has anyone received an interview invitation from Georgia State? I got one today and was hoping to meet some people there! The interview date is November 30th, btw! (From Tennessee)
How was your interview? I have mine tomorrow!

Hey! I got accepted at north central too and I’m also nervous because of the accreditation status :(
Did you put your deposit already?

I haven't yet. I probably will though, because I don't want to gamble on maybe getting called back from an accredited school. It's a tough choice. I have until the 17th to let them know so I'll drag my feet until next week probably.

Hello! Very anxious about hearing back from programs, but hoping for the best!
Schools: UIC, Maryville, WashU (STL) , Colorado State, UW-Madison, UW-La Crosse, UW- Milwaukee, Elmhurst, KU Medical Center
Undergrad Gpa: 3.3
Gre: 154 V, 152 Q, 4.5 Writing
Pre-req GPA: 4.0 (pending current semester's classes)
LOR: 1 OT, 1 professor, 1 special ed head teacher
Observation Hours: 35 in outpatient Peds and school setting, 8 Hours acute/lymphedema therapy, full time work as a Paraprofessional/ 1 on 1 aid

Acceptances:
Interviews:
Denials:

I haven't yet. I probably will though, because I don't want to gamble on maybe getting called back from an accredited school. It's a tough choice. I have until the 17th to let them know so I'll drag my feet until next week probably.

Same here!! Well I already lose $500 bucks from the first school that accepted me! Where else did you apply?

Congrats on your acceptance :) ! I have my interview this Friday! Any advice you can give me?

Hey! I didn’t see a notification when you asked about the interview.
I’m so sorry!! :( how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Same here!! Well I already lose $500 bucks from the first school that accepted me! Where else did you apply?
I applied to a few Illinois schools. Elmhurst, Governors State, UIC, North Central, Salus, AT Still, and Nove SE. I rejected the interview at AT Still because $$$ lol.

Hey! I didn’t see a notification when you asked about the interview.
I’m so sorry!! :( how did it go?

No worries!! I felt like the questions they gave me weren’t anything out of the ordinary. It was more casual than I thought it would be so it wasn’t too bad, but honestly don’t know how I did as far as if they think I am a good fit for their program! However, I did talk a lot about my interest in mental health and diversity. Now I’m just waiting anxiously for a notification. :bored: How long did it take to get a response?

Hi! sorry I tried to stay off the thread for a little and didn't realize I hadn't replied to this. Honestly I think for me it might have been my essay. But i also felt really good about my interview! I applied last year too and got in, and I applied way later like around this time and interviewed in mid Jan and heard back at the end of Jan.

But here they are:
Major: Human Biology with minor in Cognitive Science
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Prereq: 3.5-3.7 depending on school
GRE: 152 V 149 Q and 4.5 AW

Observation hours:
71 in peds
over 500 in Hand therapy, I did 100 during my undergrad and then started working as an aide in the same facility.

Relevant work:
PT/OT aide for about a year now

I have a publication from my undergraduate research in cognitive science

LOR's:
1 from OT in hand therapy setting
1 from OT in peds setting
1 from professor from my research

Yeah it was pretty causal— I’m glad it went well. They got back to me in less than a week, literally four days.
Is this a top choice for you?

Yeah it was pretty causal— I’m glad it went well. They got back to me in less than a week, literally four days.
Is this a top choice for you?

Oh wow, 4 days!! That’s extremely fast!
Yes, it is especially after getting a feel of the campus! I really loved it there! I’m from SoCal and I’m trying to move away. Was this one of your top as well? Or are you still waiting on other schools?

Last edited:
It was my top choice actually— I’m from Georgia and want a change for a few years. :) I’m waiting on a couple schools and accepting some interviews here and there— cheaper options, but we’ll see.

Yeah I received the confirmation a few days after.
Don't lose hope! At my interview, they told us that in the past they have interviewed into April, and they've pulled people of the waitlist as late as the day before the first day of school. Midwestern only does interviews during 1 week of each month, usually 3 days in that week. So who knows, you may be in their next batch of interviewees.

I applied to a few Illinois schools. Elmhurst, Governors State, UIC, North Central, Salus, AT Still, and Nove SE. I rejected the interview at AT Still because $$$ lol.

I also applied to Governor state and Elmhurst and haven’t heard anything from them. :/ I’ll put my deposit at north central probably next week.

Guys! What’s your opinion about schools that are not yet accredited?
It depends. If you are the first cohort, I personally wouldn't go if I got into other schools that are accredited. It takes at least 2 cohorts for a school to get accreditation as far as I have seen (I've been following this stuff since middle school). If you're the first cohort and you've taken out student loans, your're screwed because you can't sit for the NBCOT until your school gets accredited and you can't even practice under a temporary lisense as is typical when you exit from OT school because a temporary license is usually for 3 months as far as I'm aware.

Take Elmhurst college for example: their first cohort had 18 students. A year after those students graduated, Elmhurst got accredited. Only 7 of those students sat for the NBCOT, presumably the others got jobs in other areas because they had bills to pay or maybe they felt a year was too far out of school to try to study for the exam. (The 7 that did take it did pass by the way)

Now if your in the unaccredited school's second cohort, your chances are much better. Most schools get accredited either just before their second cohort graduates or sometimes a month after they graduate.

Ultimately, it depends on your financial situation and the amount of risk you are personally willing to assume.

It depends. If you are the first cohort, I personally wouldn't go if I got into other schools that are accredited. It takes at least 2 cohorts for a school to get accreditation as far as I have seen (I've been following this stuff since middle school). If you're the first cohort and you've taken out student loans, your're screwed because you can't sit for the NBCOT until your school gets accredited and you can't even practice under a temporary lisense as is typical when you exit from OT school because a temporary license is usually for 3 months as far as I'm aware.

Take Elmhurst college for example: their first cohort had 18 students. A year after those students graduated, Elmhurst got accredited. Only 7 of those students sat for the NBCOT, presumably the others got jobs in other areas because they had bills to pay or maybe they felt a year was too far out of school to try to study for the exam. (The 7 that did take it did pass by the way)

Now if your in the unaccredited school's second cohort, your chances are much better. Most schools get accredited either just before their second cohort graduates or sometimes a month after they graduate.

Ultimately, it depends on your financial situation and the amount of risk you are personally willing to assume.

Thank you , that explains a lot. I’ll be in the second cohort. Did you come from Elmhurst,?

Guys! What’s your opinion about schools that are not yet accredited?

As long as the OT program is attached to a reputable university, I wouldn't be too concerned about the possibility that they may not become accredited. However, that chance is always there and I can't speak to the experience of students who have gone through those programs. It would would probably stress me out despite the likelihood that I'd be an OT when all is said and done.

If you have a choice, I'd probably go to an accredited program but if you don't or are there compelling reasons (geography, cost, etc) to go to a not-yet-accredited program I think that's a defensible choice too.

Applied: ECU, Wingate University, Brenau University, GSU, Shenandoah University, Murphy Deming/Mary Baldwin
Interviews: Murphy Deming (11/10), Wingate (11/30), Brenau (probably declining - 1/18), ECU 1/4, Shenandoah University (probably declining)
Acceptances: Murphy Deming (OTD)
Rejections:
Waitlists:

UPDATE:
Applied: ECU, Wingate University, Brenau University, GSU, Shenandoah University, Murphy Deming/Mary Baldwin
Interviews: Murphy Deming (11/10), Wingate (11/30), Brenau (Declined interview), ECU 1/4, Shenandoah University (offered interview - may decline)
Acceptances: Murphy Deming (OTD), Wingate University
Rejections:

Don't lose hope! At my interview, they told us that in the past they have interviewed into April, and they've pulled people of the waitlist as late as the day before the first day of school. Midwestern only does interviews during 1 week of each month, usually 3 days in that week. So who knows, you may be in their next batch of interviewees.
Thanks for the input! It's just the wait is so stressful.

Update!

Applied:
Rejections:
Interviews:

GRE:

congrats on your acceptances! how soon after applying to Salus did you hear back? I know they do rolling admissions so I don't know what to expect!

Edited

Applied:
TJU, Temple, Gwynedd Mercy, Salus, Widener, USciences
Interviews: Widener (12/19)
Acceptances: USciences (12/3), Widener (12/20)

My final prereq grades were sent in, so I'm waiting for those to be verified. However, Widener was one of my top choices, so I'm pretty set on going there :).

Last edited:
-----UPDATE----
Applied: D'Youville, TJU, Howard, USC, Nova, Brenau, University of Florida
Interview: TJU (11/9)
Rejections:
Acceptances:
TJU (YAY!)

Additional: Application is on hold at Brenau until the academic update period since I am taking A&P right now.

Congrats on your acceptance! Did Brenau notify you that your application would be on hold bc you haven't finished A&P yet? I don't have the sociology/anthropology credit but they haven't said anything about holding my application so I'm wondering if I missed something

congrats on your acceptances! how soon after applying to Salus did you hear back? I know they do rolling admissions so I don't know what to expect!
Thanks! I heard back about a week after I had my interview. They should give you a time-frame during your interview. My interview was like 7 weeks ago so I don't remember what the exact time-frame they gave me was, but I got lucky and heard back in a week.

I also applied to Governor state and Elmhurst and haven’t heard anything from them. :/ I’ll put my deposit at north central probably next week.
Same, I'm thinking of calling Governors to ask when they'll make their decision, because their deadline was on 10/31.

Congrats on your acceptance! Did Brenau notify you that your application would be on hold bc you haven't finished A&P yet? I don't have the sociology/anthropology credit but they haven't said anything about holding my application so I'm wondering if I missed something
Thank you! And I believe it's because of the A&P course. I don't finish until the end of this semester. But they didn't specify, so I can't say for sure. They definitely let me know it was on hold until after the academic update though, so if you haven't heard anything, maybe call? My app was verified 10/3 for reference.

Sent from my LG-H872 using SDN mobile

Applied: Downstate, NYU, NYIT, Hofstra, LIU Brooklyn, WNE

Interviews: NYIT, Hofstra, WNE (deferred)
Accepted: NYIT
Waitlisted: Hofstra
Rejections: