Who here is going to USCAP 2018?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukeresident

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not. While my stipend is very generous, I’m not willing to spend that kind of money.

Wish I was...I went last time it was in Vancouver (2012). It's a great city and I went snowboarding at Whistler...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly not me either :( I went to the last two USCAPs, it's a huge bummer not to be going back, especially because of boards.

Nobody going? Are there less attendees than in prior years?

Nobody going? Are there less attendees than in prior years?

I guess we'll find out when the attendance numbers come out, but I think the cost of international travel probably hurt their numbers more than anything.

BOYCOTT USCAP! BOYCOTT CAP! THEY HAVE TANKED THE PROFESSION AND TURNED US INTO COMMODITIES!!

Reactions: 1 user
Whoever is going needs to get some answers on the Uropath blow up. I would guess this will prevent further WHO Urologic Pathology editions...

BOYCOTT USCAP! BOYCOTT CAP! THEY HAVE TANKED THE PROFESSION AND TURNED US INTO COMMODITIES!!

yeah I don't belong to any of these groups, nor do I pay for their conferences. My money's better spent on vacations, or even burning it, because at least the latter doesn't work actively to reduce my bargaining power.

Had a good number of people from our dept. go. Seemed enthusiastic. Be interested to hear feedback on people who went from here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went. I may never go again. Waste of time and money. I think what may have once been a scientifically solid (or semi-solid) meeting has delved into the unfortunate ego-boosting of a handful of people, some of whom I know couldn’t diagnose a left shoe in the middle of a Reebok factory. I need a shower to wash it off.

Had a good number of people from our dept. go. Seemed enthusiastic. Be interested to hear feedback on people who went from here.

Meetings are a relic from the past. With technology there is no need for them any longer. Lot of money and fossil fuels are wasted for no reason.

Meetings are a relic from the past. With technology there is no need for them any longer. Lot of money and fossil fuels are wasted for no reason.

No, technology has made meetings like USCAP more relevant than ever - it gives people something to tweet about and teach other people how to tweet so everyone can retweet each other. People can also get their photos taken at the meeting so those can be tweeted, too.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the input so far! Certainly provides a different perspective than I get at my home institution.

No, technology has made meetings like USCAP more relevant than ever - it gives people something to tweet about and teach other people how to tweet so everyone can retweet each other. People can also get their photos taken at the meeting so those can be tweeted, too.

Tell me about it. The social media craze around meetings was novel at first but has become so out of hand. I tried to speak face to face to one of the Twitter "rockstars" and they couldn't even put the damn phone down for a second. Talk about distracting.

I went to USCAP for probably the last time. I spent more time checking out Vancouver than attending stuff. To me, USCAP is good as a resident/fellow since it will be (at least somewhat) paid for and you can use it to fill out your CV and maybe hobnob with some big names. Otherwise I don't see the value unless you're in academics and have to publish. Regional conferences or online courses are cheaper and more practical for day-to-day work. I couldn't care less about research that's probably more about academic promotion than actual utility.

2761y8.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I went to USCAP during my 3rd year of residency, fellowship and my first 2 years in practice. I primarily went the last 2 years for the companion society meeting and to see posters and platform presentations in my subspecialty area (also a decent opportunity to catch up with some people I knew from training). I decided not to go this year. I felt that the educational content and selection of speakers for the courses has become fairly repetitive. Also, because I am in private practice and don't have any interest in research, a lot of the networking that goes on within my subspecialty area to collaborate on projects, meet new fellows, keep track of what academic centers different people area at, etc. is largely irrelevant to me. I went on a regular, pure vacation instead.

All the attempts to make professional society meetings into social media events seems like largely pointless arm-waving to me. I just roll my eyes.

I wish I had that twitter guy's energy. I am about as energetic as Sean Penn on late night this week.

In the professional setting, I have always had a hard time generating much enthusiasm for social media for the sake of social media among pathologists. It has its uses, but for the most part, the whole thing seems like a low-yield, self-congratulatory waste of time to me. Sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I guess that makes me a dinosaur. I'm ok with that.

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, social media amounts to nothing more than a narcissistic circle jerk, abused by those in academia to show how "with it" they are in attempt to get internet credibility, possibly to compensate for their mediocre salaries and unfulfilling lives. But on the other hand, if you can get past the self-congratulatory bullcrap, you can get some really practical information out of it.

USCAP is good for residents, fellows, and academic pathologists. But the marginal value drops significantly after your second meeting.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been both spectator and participant in the social media explosion but can definitely understand why people don't take to it, especially around national meeting time when it seems like it's social media for the sake of social media. If you use it the right way and follow (or mute!) the right people, though, you can learn some interesting tidbits. It's definitely not (and shouldn't be) for everybody.

You can learn interesting tidbits from sitting next to the homeless guy outside the conference center, too.
Social media is just not suited for every profession...I would say medicine is one such profession for which it is not well suited, unless you're doing it for humor/comic relief...there's just no meaningful impact social media can accomplish for most of medicine, especially pathology, particularly when the most frequent & vocal contributors are frequent & vocal to satisfy their ego / inflated sense of self importance.

there is zero need for “social media” in pathology. Remember, if
you are not paying for it, YOU are the product. A rat in a
Skinner box.

depends on how you define it. And, there is zero need for this
forum in pathology. QED.

depends on how you define it. And, there is zero need for this
forum in pathology. QED.

I prefer to think of this forum as group therapy with LADoc playing the role of Nurse Ratched.

Reactions: 3 users
I prefer to think of this forum as group therapy with LADoc playing the role of Nurse Ratched.
I am the guy who is about to be lobotomized for not towing the party line pushed by the corrupt academics!!