SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Who is applying to only ONE Dental School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by KEC029, May 9, 2007.

1. KEC029

KEC029 10+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I'm thinking about doing it.
    b/c it's in-state for me, and still a nice school that I really want to go.

who else is doing this?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr IWannaBe

Dr IWannaBe Class of 2012 7+ Year Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I'm only applying to one school...my state school.

4. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing 7+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2005
    keep us posted I always want to find out if this works (it has in the past so cross your fingers). good luck.

5. Dr IWannaBe

Jan 3, 2006
    I'll be sure to keep you posted. The main reason for only applying to one school is partly due to the fact that my wife is a practicing attorney here in our state and the fact that we have 3 kids and 3 houses (with 1st and 2nd mortgages) It's a bit harder to make the move than a single young person right out of school.

6. HOTTY

HOTTY 2+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2006
    The person who applies to one school and gets accepted is a genius.
    The person who applies to one school and doesn't get accepted is a fool.

That is one wicked roulette game I am glad I am not playing. :luck:

7. ucla2134

ucla2134 7+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Dude dont do this unless you really have 4.0 and above 25+ DAT.

8. philchungski

philchungski 2+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i applied to only one school.... i had requirements for USC met...

i applied to sc and got in on may 4th...

3.5cum, 3.4bcp, 23/21 AA/PAT

9. Fonz

Fonz 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2006
    well I guess if really absolutely won't go anywhere else but that one school. but there better be a damn good reason or else I'd question your seriousness about dental school. That or you have some insane stats and/or connections

10. burgler09

burgler09 2+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Miami, FL
  11. Snahster

Snahster 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2006
    No offense but May 4th was kinda pushing it... you are pretty lucky and were probably taken off the waitlist... good thing too or you would be applying again...

12. jeninny44

jeninny44 2+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    plus it was usc which is one of the easiest schools to get into.

13. SHC1984

SHC1984 Banned Banned 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I totally agree. I wish i can only apply to one school too but I don't have those stats!

14. Nasem

Nasem 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Ok,
    getting accepted into a dental school is... litterally... a fight.
    You "fight" your way into dental school. There is sooooo much competition and ALL the schools know this.

If they see your application and, somehow, found out that you ONLY applied to one school, they are going to think to themselves "umm... if this guy is serious about dentistry and it is his passion, why is he only applying to 1 school ????"

On the other hand, you can be honest in your personal statment and tell them flat out that you only applied to thier school becuase of your wife / kids situation, they'll feel a little sorry for you and maybe... just maybe... accept you :)

15. Mstoothlady2012

Mstoothlady2012 5+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2007
    FL
    they can see how many schools you apply to?...i didnt know that

16. Nasem

Nasem 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    well sometimes they ask you in the interview ...

17. wackiezackie82

wackiezackie82 My Idol 2+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2007
    I'm not 100% sure that they know about the current cycle, but they definitely know about every other school you've ever applied to in any field.

At my first interview, I was shocked that my interviewer knew the exact number of med schools I had applied to in a previous year and I hadn't even applied to the med school at this university.

And during the interviews they also ask how many other dental schools you've applied and it's your choice to be honest with them or not, but I have a feeling they already know!!

18. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    I hate to say this but ... if you are only applying to one dental school then make sure you apply to med school too, just for a backup plan.

Let the games begin.:D

19. Dr IWannaBe

Jan 3, 2006
    Well, I just think it's a matter of personal opinion. If one applies to 20 schools, another applies to 10 and yet another applies to only 3 or 4, can you say that one wants it more than the other? Many factors are involved in the application process. Perhaps the 20 applicant person has researched each school and found that each fits what they are looking for or perhaps they applied blindly. Can you say they really want it more than the person who has applied to far fewer schools? Granted, applying to one school is a bit different than appying to 3 or 4, but I think that if other factors are involved, i.e., family, finances, a particular program one is looking for, these things are valid and if one is very confident in his or her grades and test scores, then go for it. If they don't get in, the true test comes in applying (and improving) every year 'til you get it. just my 2 cents.

20. philchungski

philchungski 2+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    two thumbs up...

21. Columbia07

Columbia07 5+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Los Angeles
    :laugh:

Please tell me how you know this? I hope you're not pulling this out of your arse...

22. Snahster

Snahster 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2006
    I don't think it's the 'easiest to get into" but i've never heard of it being anyones first choice due to crappy PBL curriculum, being the most expensive dental school in U.S., being in ghetto part of L.A....

23. lifeisgood

lifeisgood the original 5+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2005
    San Clemente, CA
    I would have to disagree with this statement for the simple facts that I have near a 4.0, a 25/23/24, was accepted to UCLA Dec 11th and USC has never so much as even called me for an interview. I thought it was strange but it didn't bother me since I got into my #1. Just goes to show how random the selection process can be sometimes. Oh and on top of that I volunteered at the USC Mobile Dental Clinic and the director loves me. Go figure.

24. SHC1984

Feb 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    haha..
    USC didn't accept you b/c they know you won't go there! schools do this all the time. They know you have VERY good stats and will get into UCLA, Harvard, columbia etc etc.. so they know you won't pick them, so they save themeselves the trouble of interviewing you. My stats were high for VCU and I am also a NC resident. I called Sharon and she told me I didn't get an interview b/c my stats were too good and I will most likey attend UNC! So thats proberly why you didn't get into USC too!

25. Pilot Mike

Pilot Mike 2+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    you're overqualified for USC. But just right for UCLA :)

26. lifeisgood

Dec 21, 2005
    San Clemente, CA
    Ahhhh, you're so sweet.

27. SHC1984

Feb 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    did you ever get an interview or acceptance from UCSF?? IF I got into both UCLA and UCSF I would not know which one to attend b/c they are both SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!! :thumbup: :D
    and pilot mike is right you are toooo good for USC!!

28. hotrod0917

hotrod0917 Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Ann Arbor
    IMHO, it depends on whether if you want to specialize and what you want to specialize. Otherwise they're both good schools. You're in a good:) dilemma.

29. lifeisgood

Dec 21, 2005
    San Clemente, CA
    Yes, I got an interview at UCSF but I withdrew before the interview date. I hope that I would have gotten in. IMO, if you got into both UCSF & UCLA, it would really depend on which school you liked more and in which area you preferred to live. Otherwise, I would say they are too comparable to say one school is better than the other.

30. in her drawer

in her drawer Ain't no glory in a war 2+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2006
    The City, CA
    Man, I can't even fathom applying to only one school. I'm not nearly so bold.

Also life, you are absolutely correct. UCLA/UCSF are pretty comparable, so part of my decision came from the fact that I would rather be in SF than LA.

31. lotexigeus

lotexigeus Master Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    I'm in a different situation than you guys. I live in AR where there is no dental school, so seats in some surrounding schools are saved for AR residents. Memphis with 18, UMKC with a couple, and LSU with 4. It has crossed my mind to only apply to Memphis because not only is it my best shot but it's my first choice. I'll probably end up applying for all three though.

32. jeninny44

jeninny44 2+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    It is a lot of work to apply to one school.

It is extremely little work to apply to additional schools through AADSAS.

If you do not have a life situation requiring you to apply to only one school, I would recommend you applying to multiple schools.

33. jeninny44

jeninny44 2+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    They knew you were overqualified and would be accepted (and attend) elsewhere. No sense in wasting everyone's time.

Just because you weren't offered an interview position does not mean it is an easy school to get into.

34. jeninny44

jeninny44 2+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    No. Based on observation of things you would agree with: USC has an extremely large class size, the most expensive tution, and if you look at things like Predents, SDN you will know an incredible amount of turnover in terms of accepted students declining their admission.

35. crhoody12

crhoody12 5+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    how do the dental schools upon interview know where else or how many other dental schools you applied to unless you tell them yourself? I emailed AADSAS help line and they told me that the number of schools one applies to does not go out to other dental schools but only the school that receives your application will, for all they know, think you only applied to their school...the email went as follows...

*The schools do not have any knowledge of other schools that you are applying to through the AADSAS service. Applying to a high amount of dental schools does not look negatively on your behalf.
    We thank you for allowing us to assist you during the application process and wish you the best of luck in your educational endeavors.

Aree Henderson
    Customer Service Representative
    American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
    1400 K Street NW
    Suite 1100
    Washington, DC 20005
    (202)289-7201
    (800)353-2237

36. HOTTY

HOTTY 2+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Golden State 4-2 over Utah, I will have to see that one...........I think Utah in 5 or 6. hahahhahaah

37. Greensalad

Greensalad 10+ Year Member

Apr 16, 2007
    How does one send DAT scores to additional schools? They won't do it over the phone.

38. uclawill

uclawill New Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2006
    they have a online database/system of sending scores to schools set up

39. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing 7+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2005
  40. lotexigeus

lotexigeus Master Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Memphis does not go through AADSAS.

41. HeMan

HeMan 2+ Year Member

The difference between applying to 1 and 2 schools is much greater than between 10 and 20. IMO if you apply to only one, the strongest arguement you can make is "I want to be a dentist really bad, but only if I can get into this one school. Otherwise it's not worth it." Am I very far off? I'm not judging your reasoning for holding this opinion, I'm just saying that this is the statement you are making. Once you have applyed to a few, adding another one is just increasing your odds/options/expense/etc. If you are ok with the statement you are making, more power to you. Good luck <no sarcasm>

42. jaypea65

jaypea65 2+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2006
    The situation can arise where you only have enough prereqs completed to apply to only the schools in which you qualify.