Who is applying without a degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilescali

Almost there...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who out there is applying this year without a degree?

I am trying this year because I figure "What the heck" might as well give it a shot. If I don't get in then I will continue my Biochemistry degree and transfer to UCSD or UCI. I have so many credits (because I switched my major from Political Science to Biochem) that I feel like I should have an honorary degree in SOMETHING! maybe Professional Student..... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying without a degree. I will be 12 credits short of a BS in Biology at the end of this year. I was accepted to Mercer, and will be going there next fall. I figured there wasn't much point to finishing my BS unless I planned on doing a joint degree program.

Shovingit said:
I am applying without a degree. I will be 12 credits short of a BS in Biology at the end of this year. I was accepted to Mercer, and will be going there next fall. I figured there wasn't much point to finishing my BS unless I planned on doing a joint degree program.

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what was your PCAT score? I'm thinking about applying to mercer.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
89 composite

chuks_pharmD said:
I have associates of arts with Honors......

Does that look competitive enough??? :scared: :confused:

nope because art and pharmacy not related

WorcesterPHOBoy said:

Actually, being well-rounded is looked upon highly. In my opinion, most, if not all, admission committees like to see that you're good at other subjects aside from the sciences.

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
Not relevant. My friend has an english degree and she's @ UCSF school of pharmacy.

meow004 said:
Actually, being well-rounded is looked upon highly. In my opinion, most, if not all, admission committees like to see that you're good at other subjects aside from the sciences.

how come =\, i dont get it. if u like medicine u go to medical school, if u like pharmacy u study math and science..why study Art or English? so confusing!???

chuks_pharmD said:
I have associates of arts with Honors......

Does that look competitive enough??? :scared: :confused:

I earned an AA with honors before I got my BS too. It's not an art degree though ;) I think as long as you have the prerequisites, you'll be fine.

I got 2 interviews and was accepted to 1 school when I applied last year. I received my Associates of Science after these interviews in the spring.

I have a AS and I will have a AAS in chemical technolgy this May. I will have like 100 credits at the end of may because I switched from engineering to Pharmacy. I am taking Biology pre-reqs. now since engineering did not require it.

Waht GPA do you guys have?

Smilescali said:
Who out there is applying this year without a degree?

I don't understand ... don't you require a bachelors degree before you can get your doctorate? or is a pharmD not a real doctorate? :confused:

CircleTheDrain said:
I don't understand ... don't you require a bachelors degree before you can get your doctorate? or is a pharmD not a real doctorate? :confused:

The PharmD is similar to an MD in that it doesn't REQUIRE a bachelors. However, nowadays, it's near unheard of for a MD program to accept someone without a bachelors. Thats the direction pharmacy is headed as well, with more and more pharmacy students already having other degrees.

I am applying to VCU w/o a bachelor's as well as a sophomore... But, it's tough, having to compete against many degree-holding applicants... i applied as an early decision applicant and got an interview but deferred me as a regular applicant... i dont think i did too well in the interview haha. but what can i do.. Thankfully I have 4.0 GPA to back me up (although that may go down this semester hehehe) and 92% composite, which I was told was pretty good... so keeping my fingers crossed...

CircleTheDrain said:

People also get accepted into law school without an undergraduate degree. It just depends on the school and how competitive you are on the other requirements.

I also have a 4.0 GPA in the pre-req/sciences and a 3.98 cummulative. I was a Political science major before switching to Biochemistry, so I would have had my degree by now if I didn't switch my major. I feel that I am just as qualified as someone with a non-science degree because we all have to do the same pre-req's to get into pharmacy school (well majority of the classes are the same anyway :) ) However, if someone is applying with a science degree I do feel that they probably are more prepared because they have been exposed to more material while completing their classes.

How do you feel about schols who are not fully accrediated yet?
Would it be safe or would you assume that they will become accrediated?

Smilescali said:
People also get accepted into law school without an undergraduate degree. It just depends on the school and how competitive you are on the other requirements.

I also have a 4.0 GPA in the pre-req/sciences and a 3.98 cummulative. I was a Political science major before switching to Biochemistry, so I would have had my degree by now if I didn't switch my major. I feel that I am just as qualified as someone with a non-science degree because we all have to do the same pre-req's to get into pharmacy school (well majority of the classes are the same anyway :) ) However, if someone is applying with a science degree I do feel that they probably are more prepared because they have been exposed to more material while completing their classes.

Vanessa said:
How do you feel about schols who are not fully accrediated yet?
Would it be safe or would you assume that they will become accrediated?
It really depends on the school and how they are going about getting their accreditation.

I am applying to Pharm school w/o a bachelors... I completed all my pre-reqs at a couple of community colleges and hopefully, i have a shot at pharm school :(