chrisfeliciano

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
66
0
33
Long Island, New York USA
Visit site
Status
Queenshawtii said:
^ what i asked up there and what site are you going to? I'm going to New Jersey :)
I am! I am! @ Columbia
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
41
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
what is SMEP?
 

g3pro

Dr. Mogley
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2003
1,337
6
Status
Aww, snap. And I'll be stuck this summer doing biomedical research. :D


Congrats on the SMEP. Are you guys under-represented?
 

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
1,492
14
Status
Attending Physician
I was at Case Western last year and we had a blast. We had an awesome group. Good luck and have a good and productive time. :luck:
 

melovet

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
32
0
Georgia
Status
I will be attending the Baylor/RICE site. Does anyone know how many participants there will be at each site?
 

The Remix

Liberal by necessity
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
218
0
NYC
Status
chrisfeliciano said:
I am! I am! @ Columbia
Columbia SMEP c/o 2003. Congratulations on picking the hands-down best program! :D
 

butrfly2204

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
28
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was at Columbia last summer and I had the time of my life!! The RA's are all super awesome and willing to help you every step of the way...Congrats to all of you who were accepted to the different programs out there! :)
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Now I know which Alex this is!
Wassup alex, this is John McNeil!
Congrats on your acceptance into UT-Southwestern!
cya!

Alexander Pink said:
Have fun guys, I did SMEP at Rice/Baylor 2 years ago and it rocked!
 

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
1,671
3
future
Status
Attending Physician
riceman04 said:
Now I know which Alex this is!
Wassup alex, this is John McNeil!
Congrats on your acceptance into UT-Southwestern!
cya!
Hey, what's up John! I PMed you back before I read this, now I remember what college your from. Thanks, what have you been up to since graduation? PM me or IM me, Later.
 

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
4,463
16
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
riceman04 said:
Now I know which Alex this is!
Wassup alex, this is John McNeil!
Congrats on your acceptance into UT-Southwestern!
cya!

JOHN!!! HOw are you doing? I won't say my name on this forum, but think Hanszen and ADVANCE...Oh, and I graduated a year before you..
 

Shrami

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
88
0
Status
Queenshawtii said:
i love research.. i get to do both this summer :).. i'm African-Am
Are you from Nigeria?
:) I'm African too. I'll be attending smep NJ too, and I also get to do research in the summer - which I love! I had been accepted to a 10-week research program elsewhere (which is really interesting), but the times clashed...so I chose smep instead. I'll just have to do the research at my school. I'll see if I can start the research before smep, then finish it off after my smep. Hard as it is to believe, I don't want any "free" time this summer.

I guess I'll see you there! :)
 

Baritonebass

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
149
15
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a rising Junior (current sophmore) and can't wait to meet yall at NJ. (I rep. the West Indies) "Trini" all the way.
 
OP
Q

Queenshawtii

15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
250
0
Visit site
Status
Shrami said:
Are you from Nigeria? :) I'm African too. I'll be attending smep NJ too, and I also get to do research in the summer - which I love! I had been accepted to a 10-week research program elsewhere (which is really interesting), but the times clashed...so I chose smep instead. I'll just have to do the research at my school. I'll see if I can start the research before smep, then finish it off after my smep. Hard as it is to believe, I don't want any "free" time this summer.
I guess I'll see you there! :)
Yes i'm Nigerian :). I also got a 10 week research project for the summer i have to squeeze in weeks before i leave and some more weeks afterwards. Then go to a forum in August. I won't have any free time either and i plan on takin the MCAT in August..Thank goodness i'm not takin summer school. :D
 

Shrami

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
88
0
Status
Queenshawtii said:
Yes i'm Nigerian :). I also got a 10 week research project for the summer i have to squeeze in weeks before i leave and some more weeks afterwards. Then go to a forum in August. I won't have any free time either and i plan on takin the MCAT in August..Thank goodness i'm not takin summer school. :D

Wow, you are really loaded. Good luck! I'm a rising sophomore (current freshman).
 

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
1,492
14
Status
Attending Physician
Queenshawtii said:
I decided not to take the Aug Mcat i haven't taken human Pys or biochem yet..

You don't need them to do well on MCAT ..... basic biology is all you need

Good Luck
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
melovet said:
I will be attending the Baylor/RICE site. Does anyone know how many participants there will be at each site?

Do you know which college (dorm) you will be staying in at Rice?

I participated in the HPA (SMEP) a couple years ago. I had soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun shadowing at Ben Taub. There is alot of work involved, but it is definitely manageable. Just make sure you write your papers as early as possible (that is if they still teach Medical and Technical Communication during the program).

And enjoy the gross anatomy labs at Baylor. You will be spending alot of time in there.

cya
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
vinisew said:
Could someone tell me more about the SMEP programs? or where to get information about them at...
I am currently a freshman.
you can either go to www.aamc.org and search around there,

or you can just do a google on the SMEP
 

xxbruinxx

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
433
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey....awesome

YALE SMEP here....looking forward to it

(i ended up skipping my graduation to attend this...time/date conflict)
 

xxbruinxx

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
433
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
anyone know if attending these programs gives you an advantage or "edge" if you apply to those schools ?
 

Opallife

Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
47
0
36
Atlanta
Status
xxbruinxx said:
anyone know if attending these programs gives you an advantage or "edge" if you apply to those schools ?

I added the Columbia program last year. We were specifically told that at Columbia you were given a second look if you attended their SMEP program. I won't get you in, but it will help...
 

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
1,492
14
Status
Attending Physician
xxbruinxx said:
anyone know if attending these programs gives you an advantage or "edge" if you apply to those schools ?
It helps for sure in a way that it helps you get your foot in the door i.e. yes you do have an advantage depending how closely admissions office work with SMEP ..... but you are by no means guaranteed admission.