1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Who is excited about starting pharmacy school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by RobSter33, Jul 31, 2011.

1. RobSter33

Removed

I know I am! :thumbup: I have two goals during the first year - make a lot of friends and get an internship. What are your first year goals?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. delano2000

delano2000 D-Mod likes to parTAY
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

To do well in school and to retain what I learn. I'm sure I'll make lots of friends but it's not a priority to me. Internship would be nice as well.

4. crazybob

2+ Year Member

Make close friends quick and you can study with them and hang out. For the rest of your classmates, you'll have time to meet them later. You'll know mostly names and faces after a while. Then it may take few months to few years before you know personal details about your classmates.

You'll be introduced to a lot of options, so try to add things to your list of interests. You may change your mind about what type of pharmacist you want to be.

Try to be nice to people you meet. You never know if you're gonna be working for them or if they'll help you get a job later.

5. pinksparkly

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Until this week, I've been putting most of my effort into just enjoying my summer and spending time with my kids. We had a pre-orientation event on Wednesday, and that really made it hit home that I will be starting school in a month. So at this point, I am getting pretty excited.:D

My biggest goal is to make sure that I can prioritize properly and manage study time, activities, family and friends.

My second goal comes from something that one of the faculty members said at the event. I've been pretty grade-focused for the past few years. He said that we should focus not so much on grades but to remember that each piece of information that we absorb is one more piece of information that we can use to help our patients. I thought that sounded like a good philosophy.

6. Swishers

7+ Year Member

My goals are to cut back on some of my habits from undergrad, get an intern job, and get my PharmD.

7. crazybob

2+ Year Member

Learning something well enough for you to understand how it works is more valuable than memorizing word for word, getting an A, and then forgetting it when you start a new semester.

With some of the concepts in pharmacy school, you'll come back to it over and over. If you learned it well the first time, it'll be easier to understand. If you memorized and forgot, guess what? You have to learn it all over again.

8. kmapes

kmapes KMULATOR
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    My only goal for the first semester...try to survive Tucson. This school is really my last choice (I did everything I could to get out of Arizona). But due to financial responsibility...I really didn't have any other options.

I'm hoping I feel differently once I get there, but right now it feels like I sold out on my dream. If only money weren't an issue.

9. MissPharmB

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    study hard, be myself, and internship, internship, internship... did I mention internship? And to enjoy the journey, yay!

10. AmyChaser

Pre-Pharmacy
    And Arizona still ain't cheap. What is it, 30k for the year?

11. IrunDaily

Pharmacy Student
    Study hard and a lot harder in the Fall. School would be a lot easier if the NFL was in a lockout :)

12. Cloud 9

Omg
    I totally feel the same way! I cannot wait to get out of here. Really didn't want to keep living with the parents, but who with a financially sound mind can say no to free food and rent for 4 years .. if only money weren't an issue forrealz :(

13. kmapes

kmapes KMULATOR
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    That's the thing...my mom works at ASU so as her "dependent" I get a tuition discount. So in state tuition is about 24k for the year...but for me it's reduced to 6k. See why I would have a hard time turning that down?

14. pharmschooler

2+ Year Member

Deal of the century. Total score for you!

Tucson's temporary, debt is permanent. :D

15. crazybob

2+ Year Member

Try not to see it that way.

16. AmyChaser

Pre-Pharmacy
    Yeah, I would never turn that down! I mean, I wouldn't turn down Arizona anyways. But if I could snag a PharmD for $6k a year!- Holy moly, yeah, I would.

Getting out of town wouldn't be worth it for that. Plenty of places to go with your degree though. Good luck! :D

17. R2pharmD2

Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
  18. pharmschooler

2+ Year Member

I'm certainly not an advocate for making one's debt permanent, but it's definitely better to minimize your borrowing. Doing so allows you to be much more flexible when you finish school.

19. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  20. AmyChaser

Pre-Pharmacy
    Education is one of those things I would always support tax dollars going towards. Why don't others see this as an investment that has great ROI and long-term benefits, not just for the individuals but the country as a whole?

Ah well. Wasn't counting on grants anyways...

21. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This affects more than just grants. Stanford Direct loans are a fact of life for professional student. Excuse me, were a fact of life.

22. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion
    2+ Year Member

Just an innocent question, does grades matter in pharmacy school? Like if you make some Cs then would it matter? Do people look at the grades you made in pharmacy school to decide if they want to hire you?

23. pinksparkly

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From my understanding, grades matter if you want a residency. If you want to go retail, they don't matter as much.

24. lauradiddle

lauradiddle OU's Token Longhorn
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I'm excited... only two more weeks until orientation for me! I want to join some organizations and get a good internship. Ideally, when I graduate I will already have a decently stacked resume to out-compete my classmates for jobs. ;)

25. PharmEcon

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    There are strong arguments (and correlationary evidence in the US) that just throwing money at education doesn't make it better. Personally, I would prefer less Federal government involvement in schools- it is one of the reasons tuition is so high in the first place.