Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpn123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know who is going Case, because I will be there for the class of 2008. I am from Cali and wanted to meet some future classmates.
Josh

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Josh, I guess you already know I will be going there too! Can't wait! Maybe we (the Case SDNers) can find time to hang out somewhere before orientation to get to know everybody!

Derek

I noticed how many SDNers don't talk about Ohio schools as much as CA, FL and northeastern schools. I would be really interested to hear from people who are currently attending OH schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be there too.

HK

Sounds great guys. I just got the housing packet and will be putting my name on waiting lists/showing interests. I am going to be sending in that roommate sheet shortly. Hey Derek sounds like a great idea to all get togeather before orientation. I really excited/nervous at the same time. Do any of you know what first year classes we will take.

Hey I am also going to be going to Case as a first year dental student. I guess I will see you there.It doesn't seem like there are many girls going to case but I will be one of them. We should all keep in touch so our class is very close and friendly. I am also nervous and excited at the same time. Well I will talk to you later :)

jpn123 said:
I really excited/nervous at the same time. Do any of you know what first year classes we will take.

Listed on Case website:

Biochemistry
Dental Anatomy
Dental Ergonomics
Dental Histology
Facial Growth and Development
Gross Anatomy
Instrument Identification & Use
Masticatory Dynamics
Microbiology & Infection Control
Neurobiology
Patient Admitting
Preventive Periodontics
Prophy Techniques
Prosthodontic Technology

Hey fellas, I have 'extracted' some information from David Dalsky and thought it might interest you guys and gals.

1) The tentative date for the White Coat Ceremony is on Friday, July 30

2) Laptops are not mandatory equipment for dental students currently, however Barbara Sciulli has contradicting information - laptop will be part of the 3rd year dental kit (don't know who is correct, anyone have more info for this?)

3) Loupes will be part of the 1st year dental kit and fitting will be done during orientation (Orascoptic has been the standard loupes provided at Case)

4) Remember, half of the tuition must be paid by July 1 (to hold your spot), and no extension will be granted!

Anyone who has any extra information which he/she like to share can post it here! It will be my pleasure to meet all of you at Case!

Derek

July 30 - Wow! Isn't that quite early?

Well, we have your orientation on the 28-30 and start school on the first week of August. I know this might be earlier than other dental schools but the reason for this early start is because DS1 will have 2-two weeks off (one in each term) to go to elementary schools and put sealant on kids. To make up for about 1 month of academic inactivity, Case decided to move up our start date by a month.

When do CASE students take their boards? end of 1st or 2nd year?

Mo007 said:
When do CASE students take their boards? end of 1st or 2nd year?

Summer of second year

^^^ I have a couple of friends gearing up to take it and I have to say that they seem to get put through a massive exam schedule just before their boards. Do they some study time for the boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Musketeer said:
To make up for about 1 month of academic inactivity, Case decided to move up our start date by a month.

Well, Spring semester would end on May 8th, so we still have nearly 3 months off for the 1st summer.

sxr71 said:
^^^ I have a couple of friends gearing up to take it and I have to say that they seem to get put through a massive exam schedule just before their boards. Do they some study time for the boards?

well.... We will have 2 weeks off after the spring semester (mid may) to review. Clinic, mock board exams and review everyday until the test day (in July I guess).

jpn123 said:
Hey Derek sounds like a great idea to all get togeather before orientation.

Any idea ? I will move there in the second week of July. Let's get together before our orientation.

Why don't we go to a pub so we can talk. Maybe even one with a TV because I think the summer Olympics is around that time too! :D

jpn123 said:
Sounds great guys. I just got the housing packet and will be putting my name on waiting lists/showing interests. I am going to be sending in that roommate sheet shortly. Hey Derek sounds like a great idea to all get togeather before orientation. I really excited/nervous at the same time. Do any of you know what first year classes we will take.
Hey Josh, because I haven't received the housing package yet I am wondering if the package contains any information about how the whole process work? It is kind of like a survey that we have to fill out and they (CASE) will match people together? Also, will CASE be arranging places for students or we have to find it ourselves and then notify CASE if they want fellow students to move in with them?

Yes, I did, but I think it will be a good experience to live with fellow students in the first year and the CASE listing doesn't specify who I will be living with.

We should create a website for our class. Is anybody good with website stuffs ?

HuyetKiem said:
We should create a website for our class. Is anybody good with website stuffs ?
CASE will launch a new website for their DMD program in the near future.

Stay tuned.

I just visited CWRU's dental school today. A classmate of mine is taking the WREB licensure exam from May 6-May 8 there, so he dragged me along as his navigator so he can scope out the place. We drove in from Buffalo, 200 miles away.

I find that the Yahoo Mapquest thing is absolutely worthless. It told us to exit the I-90 at exit 178 and go through the side streets (Eddy Road) before getting to Euclid when there is a more direct one further down. But we managed to get there.

Interesting campus you guys got there! The terrace architecture of the dental school is unique, that's for sure. We took a look at the East and West labs on the 2nd floor and the A, B and C clinics down on the ground floor.

After that, we went looking for a motel/hotel where my classmate can put up his patients and assistant for 2 days... Went as far as downtown to the Harbor area near the football stadium, which is very nice.

Looks to me like you guys will have a good 4 years there. Cheers!

Tom,

I do like CWRU too. Which school are you going to right now ? Are you going to take the WREB exam there too ?

Heya,

Well, 2 weeks from now I'm graduating from the dental school at Buffalo. I'm pretty much done with everything at this point, having fulfilled all the clinical requirements to graduate. Basically, I'm guaranteed to graduate with my class, unless a big asteroid hits Buffalo in the next few days and wipes us out or something. :laugh:

The only thing left is to pass the NERB licensing board so I can actually use my DDS degree. :D

I'm taking only the NERB... I'm going back to New York City to start the trial associateships I have lined up if all goes well with the board exam.

Good luck, 2008ers! :thumbup:

UBTom said:
I'm guaranteed to graduate with my class, unless a big asteroid hits Buffalo in the next few days and wipes us out or something. :laugh:

:laugh: remind me of the scene in Bruce Almighty movie .... :laugh: :laugh:

How far from NYC to Cleveland ? I may come by NYC and bug you sometime for a drink and advice man.... :D

BUMP!

Hopefully someone can give me some info about the housing package that they have received for mine still haven't arrived yet!

Thanks!

The Musketeer said:
BUMP!

Hopefully someone can give me some info about the housing package that they have received for mine still haven't arrived yet!

Thanks!

Nothing much in that package. They encloses few apartment's brochures and roommate form. You fill out the roommate form and send back to them. They will compile the info into a roommate list and distribute it to other students who are also looking for a roomate. You are fully responsible for contacting and choosing potential roommates.

Contact Brian Sherman at 800-368-3685 for more housing info.

Mandatory New Student Orientation is July 28-30. Freshmen year classes begin on August 2.

Hey guys
I am still looking for a roomy,
I am looking at the Triangle and the Waldorf for $1019 or $500 apiece. Let me know if interested. Thanks Josh

Hey guys,

Im hitting up case this july too! Lets get this show on the road already and do it up in cleveland!

HuyetKiem said:

Mandatory New Student Orientation is July 28-30. Freshmen year classes begin on August 2.

Damn! There is a 1-800 number which I can use and they don't post on their website!?!?!?! I wonder if this number is U.S. only. But I will try later.

So I've finally received the housing package and the thing that stands out is the stringent dress code they have. Some other dental schools have more lenient dress code (wear scrubs of different colors, scrubs in classroom at all times, etc...). Oh well, I guess no one will be able to 'dress to impress'! Maybe a tattoo will make up for it!

Also, I guess from the information that I have been provided didn't mention anything about Case arranging houses for their students, so I guess so have to search for places ourselves and ask fellow students to live with them. I guess the only thing Case do is to make up a list of people who want to live with dental students and also students with rooms available, that is it.

HuyetKiem said:

I normally call Brian through his direct #. I guess the 1-800 # is for long distance calls in the US.

jpn123 said:
the Waldorf for $1019

darn... spacious 3 bedrooms apartment bro. You can get 4-6 people to live there together.

Is everyone who will be attending Case dental school already got their accommodation figured out? I am trying to hook up with dental roommates but I think when Case have that roommate connection thing all set up it will be like late June! Are there any links that anyone know of especially for dental students (other than this one of course)?

Is everyone who will be attending Case dental school already got their accommodation figured out? I am trying to hook up with dental roommates but I think when Case have that roommate connection thing all set up it will be like late June! Are there any links that anyone know of especially for dental students (other than this one of course)?

I would not rely to heavily on the school to help you out. The latest they recommend finding a place is June 1. I will be signing a lease at the Waldorf in May for the second week of july. I hop ethis helps.

For those who is going to CWRU: what your DAT scores were like? I will be taking DAT on May 25 and Case is my 1st choice school. Just wanted to know what it takes to get in.

DDS2BE said:
For those who is going to CWRU: what your DAT scores were like? I will be taking DAT on May 25 and Case is my 1st choice school. Just wanted to know what it takes to get in.

I think anything around a 20 or above will be fine. Case DAT average in 2002 was around 18.49 AA and 19 PAT. Just aim for 20+!

Good Luck!

jpn123 said:
I would not rely to heavily on the school to help you out. The latest they recommend finding a place is June 1. I will be signing a lease at the Waldorf in May for the second week of july. I hop ethis helps.

I agree with you. Good and walking distance apartments are go out fast. Try to find the room for yourself then share later. I already signed the studio at The Triangle for the second week of June. Parking at Case is horrible, just keep that in mind.

DDS2BE said:

Aim for 20+ bro. Case loves people with high DAT.

Id definitely say high DAT, but I actually got a 17 and 18, and I was accepted Dec. 1. Just apply early...when i interviewed, second week of interviews, the students told me that its pretty tough not to get in if you interview within the first month or so, just what i heard though.

Good luck to you!

My fellow classmates, get to ready to party up soon!

Has anybody received the loan info from Case's financial office yet ? I'm still wating for the Case's Loan and Sally Mae's package from them.

HI everybody,

I will be going to case as well, I am very excited... I will go the second week of June to rent a place...

Hey Derek how is it going? I just came back from vegas ( some time off helps :D )
I got the housing package and it has some renting properties, therer were some good ones!!!
we really have to meet guys before the orientation... i will be leaving vancouver for good on July 22-23

Derek, are you still gonna go in June to rent a place?
As for the rest, am really looking forward to meet you all

Cheers,
Jehan :p

Hey Jehan, I've decided to go on the Victoria weekend to look for houses, that way, on Monday I can go and personally hand in 1/2 of the tuition and get the signed I-20 for Case to process. As well as to open a U.S. account there. Also, I think near the end of the month will be the best time to look for a place because many contracts usually ends at the end of the month so they need to get someone to fill the place as soon as the previous renter leaves the place.

I am very interested in pursuing an accommodation at the dental fraternity place (extremely cheap) and I've even talked to the house manager/fraternity leader - Kyle.

P.S: I guess you had a good tan going! Also I hope you didn't loose most of your tuition money in gambling!

Derek

Good and close to school apartment includes:

Fayne Apt of Montlack Realty is just across from our school. I passed their offer last month because their apartment had no parking. It is perfect for anyone w/o car and cheap rent too. Spacious studio for only $405/month.

Triangle is pretty close also.

I will move there July 7. We should get together before the orientation. Let me know your plan.

Derek, that is a great time to go but unfortunatly I won't be able to make until June due to work obligations but I will cross my fingers for that!!
is the dental fraternity place a house, do you guys share rooms or each has its own.... I've been looking at different places in shaker heights, studios sound cheap but hoefully they will be available!
HuyetKiem, Fayne appartments, are they the one just infront of dental school??? did you guys look at other areas such celeveland heights or shaker heights...

For the I-20, case told me that they will send me the forms soon...so am just waiting!!!

Hyetkiem, you are moving very soon July 7!!! I don't think my friends would let me move that soonhehehehe, they are mad enough at me that am moving :mad:
but hey there is an advantage, you will definitly know the area very well before school starts :)

P.S Las vegas was awsome, definilty got a tan, swimming in the morning and partying at night :laugh:

Jehan

sallyubc said:
HuyetKiem, Fayne appartments, are they the one just infront of dental school??? did you guys look at other areas such celeveland heights or shaker heights...

yeah it is. only 10 seconds (20 meters) from school... Parking at Case is horrible, especially during winter time. I try to look for place as close as possible to school so I don't have to drive. I guess it is ok for you folks because you're used to winter and snow anyway. I'm from tropical area and I hate snow.... keke :smuggrin: I will take 1 weeks vacation to toronto after moving in. Any good place to go there ? and good restaurant ?

sallyubc said:
is the dental fraternity place a house, do you guys share rooms or each has its own....

According to their letter, you will have your own private room (12 total), you will share kitchen, bathroom, living room with others. Wow.. has any of you seen their game room with pool table picture ? cool...

Hey Derek, you play pool bro ?

is Toronto on other side of buffalo ?