Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im gonna turn the deposit in person. Hopefully, get all of my questions answered on spot :D :p (a positive side of being local :) )

vasco, congrats! See you in class :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Biogirl361 said:
really?! now my freind called them today and said he sent it out this week, and they told him something to the effect of "well we hope it gets here by the 18th or there may not be anything we can do". how odd that two people can call and get totally different answers! and how they said they'll send a reciept but jini sent hers out a month ago and hasn't gotten a reciept. sometimes I wonder about these schools :rolleyes:

You folks should send your deposit Overnite or Priority mail then call them a week later to confirm. Never trust your regular mailman for this such important process. Last year, I mailed mine on Dec 10 overnite and confirmed with them the next day's afternoon. I didn't receive my reciept until end of Jan.

HuyetKiem said:
You folks should send your deposit Overnite or Priority mail then call them a week later to confirm. Never trust your regular mailman for this such important process. Last year, I mailed mine on Dec 10 overnite and confirmed with them the next day's afternoon. I didn't receive my reciept until end of Jan.
I sent my deposit in latge December and I got a confirmation letter January 4th.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i noticed the student lounge at the dental school has a widescreen hdtv. does the school pay for HD cable?

exmike said:
hey i noticed the student lounge at the dental school has a widescreen hdtv. does the school pay for HD cable?
It probably comes out of our tuition fee... :D (I have no idea, I would think the school pays for it).

I would like to know (this is not something I am considering) - what if I decided not to attend CASE this year, and tell them I want to finish my degree first before I enter their dental school this fall, can they hold a spot for me for fall 2006? - I am just asking. What would happen in this kind of situation, do I start the application process all over (in this case for CASE!)?

Thanks people. ;)

Mo007 said:
It probably comes out of our tuition fee... :D (I have no idea, I would think the school pays for it).

I would like to know (this is not something I am considering) - what if I decided not to attend CASE this year, and tell them I want to finish my degree first before I enter their dental school this fall, can they hold a spot for me for fall 2006? - I am just asking. What would happen in this kind of situation, do I start the application process all over (in this case for CASE!)?

Thanks people. ;)

I don't know if this relevant, but a friend of mine got accepted to Case Medical School and OSU med. school 3 years ago. He then decided to take a year off and to attend the following year. OSU x'ed him right on spot, but Case gave‘em a year off with guaranteed spot the following year. Case Dental school has probably the same approach.

Still dreamin' of OSU, Mo? :p oops, I won’t tell anyone … that’s a promise

DDS2BE said:
... Case Dental school has probably the same approach.

... maybe they do, finding out from the school may not hurt I suppose.

Still dreamin' of OSU, Mo? :p oops, I won’t tell anyone … that’s a promise

I don't know how to reply to this.... it's a mixed feeling when it comes to OSU... :mad: :confused: :scared: :eek: .... something in those lines. ;)

Either way, there is a strong chance of us ending up in the same class... :thumbup:

Mo007 said:
...what if I decided not to attend CASE this year, and tell them I want to finish my degree first before I enter their dental school this fall, can they hold a spot for me for fall 2006?...

Forgive me if I am wrong, but didn't you apply last cycle Mo007 and were accepted to some programs but then held off?

Sprgrover said:
Forgive me if I am wrong, but didn't you apply last cycle Mo007 and were accepted to some programs but then held off?
Yes, that was for personal reasons (not academic), but didn't request a year off from CASE... I simply re-applied. I am not planning to take a year-off this time, just curious what would the school's decision be if I had asked.

I dropped off my deposit today at Case finally. Did any of you guys notice these weird looks from Case dental students? Well, I did. First time during my interview, and second time today :oops: I feel so happy now that I will be giving the same kind of looks to 2010 applicants :D

Does any1 has the same feeling?

DDS2BE said:
I dropped off my deposit today at Case finally. Did any of you guys notice these weird looks from Case dental students? Well, I did. First time during my interview, and second time today :oops: I feel so happy now that I will be giving the same kind of looks to 2010 applicants :D

Does any1 has the same feeling?
I sent my deposit via Express (next day delivery) today... that takes a load off my head, now that's behind me... I can chill! :D

So... what "looks" are you talking about?

by the way, ever considered changing your nick to DMD2BE?!! :D

Mo007 said:
I sent my deposit via Express (next day delivery) today... that takes a load off my head, now that's behind me... I can chill! :D

So... what "looks" are you talking about?

by the way, ever considered changing your nick to DMD2BE?!! :D

by looks I mean stragne questioned glances :D and yes, I did consider my nick change but how?! :) I don't think this forum supports a name change. I should probably get a costom license plate ;)

Yes DDS2BE!! when we were interviewing i noticed tonnnns of wierd looks from the students, especially when we went to lunch. i did not get this at any other schools. it was the only thing that i didn't like/made me uncomfortable during the interview. that and the city, but all my life experience so far has been in small towns, so I guess that is just something you get used to. anyway, i think most of the wierd looks and smart remarks i got when i was there were from the med students in the caf :rolleyes:. none of the other schools i went to shared a building/caf with the med kids, which could explain the lack of dirty looks there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, we kind of invade their territory in the caf....as you have already notice, we kind of have a dental student division set up at one end of the caf (about 1/5 of the caf) and I guess they don't like us taking up their seats :D (as the cafeteria is always packed during lunch time). :)

Biogirl361 said:
Yes DDS2BE!! when we were interviewing i noticed tonnnns of wierd looks from the students, especially when we went to lunch. i did not get this at any other schools. it was the only thing that i didn't like/made me uncomfortable during the interview. that and the city, but all my life experience so far has been in small towns, so I guess that is just something you get used to. anyway, i think most of the wierd looks and smart remarks i got when i was there were from the med students in the caf :rolleyes:. none of the other schools i went to shared a building/caf with the med kids, which could explain the lack of dirty looks there :)

Oh boy, can't wait 'till school starts... those med students... :smuggrin:

I also noticed Case is still in the process of interviewing its applicants, as it was last week. It just feels like our interview was far in the past :D :D :D

Musketeer, are you a part of dental fraternity? And if yes, then what do you guys do in terms of extra activities and the whole purpose of being a part of it?

BioG, what kind of fish do you have? :) I really want a salt-water fish tank setup, say 50 gallons, but don't know what to start from :oops:

One thing that still keeps me off buying the tank is studying 24/7 in d-school and I still have to look after my cat and a Ball Python :scared:

DDS2BE said:
BioG, what kind of fish do you have? :) I really want a salt-water fish tank setup, say 50 gallons, but don't know what to start from :oops:

One thing that still keeps me off buying the tank is studying 24/7 in d-school and I still have to look after my cat and a Ball Python :scared:

I've been in fishkeeping for about 2 years and have kept a variety of FW fish including cichlids, pumpkinseed sunfish, and angelfish with some tetras (but not all at the same time... that would be a lot of tanks!!). my current project is trying to get a planted tank going for my current fish, the angelfish and tetras. i'm also toying with the idea of getting my hands wet with saltwater next year :) . the only thing that i'm hesitant about with SW is the price, a 30 gal reef will cost me at least twice as much as a 90 gallon cichlid setup for example. also taking care of 2 tanks at once might take a lot of time. so, we'll see. there's some great info about getting started with saltwater at aquariacentral.com forums (i post there now and then too).

Well, most people joined the fraternity in their first year to meet more people and sometimes the fraternity will have some mock exam for the 1st years to prepare you for the real one...otherwise, we usually party, go to pubs (btw, our fraternity house has a bar with usually unlimited beer). I joined the fraternity mainly because I am living there, and you must be a member to live there....

DDS2BE said:
Oh boy, can't wait 'till school starts... those med students... :smuggrin:

I also noticed Case is still in the process of interviewing its applicants, as it was last week. It just feels like our interview was far in the past :D :D :D

Musketeer, are you a part of dental fraternity? And if yes, then what do you guys do in terms of extra activities and the whole purpose of being a part of it?

When will you guys start your financial aid process?

I'm going to do my financial aid stuff during my spring break (week of March 7th). The papers I got at my Case interview say the deadline is April 30, so beginning of March should be plenty early. I just want to be 90% sure that I'm not getting into Michigan before I put Case down on the official paperwork.

Biogirl361 said:
I'm going to do my financial aid stuff during my spring break (week of March 7th). The papers I got at my Case interview say the deadline is April 30, so beginning of March should be plenty early. I just want to be 90% sure that I'm not getting into Michigan before I put Case down on the official paperwork.
That's what I was thinking too... around (early) March.

I am now 99% sure of attending Case this fall... unless something else comes out of the blue. :)

At this point, I am also interested to find out any academic scholarships offered by Case? and any other dental education scholarships out-there?

I am not sure if Case even have academic scholarships....Did the financial advisor Barbara give you guys an indication during her talk at the interview? Otherwise, do contact her as she would be the person to get the answer from.

Mo007 said:

I am now 99% sure of attending Case this fall... unless something else comes out of the blue. :)

At this point, I am also interested to find out any academic scholarships offered by Case? and any other dental education scholarships out-there?

hey, does anyone know if CASE requires us to buy a lap top for school? or does the school require us to buy a lap top from them? thanks

simclinic2full.jpg

does this Case lab take all 70 students at one time? - and does each student get assigned to a seat throughout the program?

Mo007 said:

I called Case a while ago and asked just out of curiosity if any of their academic scholarships for incoming students were left, and they said they have all been given out already. so i guess all you can do from here on out is fill out applications for any other private scholarships you qualify for, there's a partial list in the interview folder and they also suggest you do the online searches. I think there's an academic one offered by the ADA but you have to complete at least a year of d school first and only two applications per school can be submitted to ADA (and the school chooses which two).

hey, does anyone know if CASE requires us to buy a lap top for school? or does the school require us to buy a lap top from them? thanks

the last thing I heard on this topic was that they are not required right now, they have talked about making them required in the future but nothing has come of it so far. case students correct me if i'm wrong :) hopefully if we already have a laptop with enough speed and memory we'd be able to waive the requirement, seems silly to have 2 laptops...

Mo007 said:
simclinic2full.jpg

does this Case lab take all 70 students at one time? - and does each student get assigned to a seat throughout the program?

yeah, there are 75-80 (I forgot the exat number) seats in this lab. Each student gets a same seat for the first 2 yrs. Usually 4 or 5 perceptors + faculty are here to help us out for each lab. I haven't heard any thing about the labtop yet.

thanks biogirl, i wanna get a lap top, but am hesitant b/c i dont know if we will get one thru the school. either way, imma get one!

does the dental school have wireless network available in the building(s)?

Yes, there is wireless network available everywhere throughout Case territory. In fact, Case is one of few schools with Gigabit network :D :D

DDS2BE said:
Yes, there is wireless network available everywhere throughout Case territory. In fact, Case is one of few schools with Gigabit network :D :D
That's really nice and convenient.

I wonder when we will receive the fall class schedule?

What's a typical day like at CASE, as far as the daily schedule for freshmans?

DDS2BE said:

what's a gigabit network

DDS2BE said:

Actually, wireless Gigabit network is available every where in University Circle .... restaurant, bars, outdoor, indoor , parking lots .... :thumbup: :thumbup:

HuyetKiem said:
Actually, wireless Gigabit network is available every where in University Circle .... restaurant, bars, outdoor, indoor , parking lots .... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Awesome... :D - I am an email freak, so it will be very convenient to check my mails and other stuff wherever I am. Sweet!

I noticed during my interview at Case, that students (without notebooks?) use a computer room in the lounge?

The Musketeer said:
You will receive your class schedule during orientation.

Here was the fall schedule:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1636137&postcount=129
copy-pasting the typical schedule you mentioned here...

Gross Anatomy - M, W 1-3pm
Biochem - M 10-12pm; Tu 3-5pm, F 10-12pm
Prev. Perio - F 9-10am
Outreach Prev Dentistry- F 10-12pm and 1-3pm
Dental Anatamy - M 8-10am; W 8-10am and *10-12pm (clinical)
Facial Growth & Development- Thr 2-3pm

It looks like you are out by 3pm every-day for that semester, what do students normally do after 3pm? - hit the clinic with patients?

thanks

Mo007 said:
Awesome... :D - I am an email freak, so it will be very convenient to check my mails and other stuff wherever I am. Sweet!

I noticed during my interview at Case, that students (without notebooks?) use a computer room in the lounge?

Ya, you can use the computer room in the lounge (but it is usually full during lunch) but you can also go to the adjacent medical library to access the internet.

Mo007 said:
copy-pasting the typical schedule you mentioned here...

Gross Anatomy - M, W 1-3pm
Biochem - M 10-12pm; Tu 3-5pm, F 10-12pm
Prev. Perio - F 9-10am
Outreach Prev Dentistry- F 10-12pm and 1-3pm
Dental Anatamy - M 8-10am; W 8-10am and *10-12pm (clinical)

It looks like you are out by 3pm every-day for that semester, what do students normally do after 3pm? - hit the clinic with patients?

thanks

Well, for gross anatomy the time there is only for the lecture part...so M, W 3-5 you will be in the cadaver lab. Usually for the 1st semester you will usually end class at 5 pm...and sometimes during your free time you will be doing DentSim. For the 1st semester you will not have any patients, it is just pure studying!

The Musketeer said:
Just received my schedule and this is what I have:

Gross Anatomy - M, W 1-3pm; M, W 3-5pm (lab)
Biochem - M 10-12pm; Tu 3-5pm, [F 10-12pm (Aug 2-27)]
Prev. Perio - F 9-10am; [F 10-12pm (clinical) (Sept 27-Nov12)]
Outreach Prev Dentistry- [F 10-12pm (Aug 30-Sept 24)]; F 1-3pm; F 3-5pm (clinical)
Dental Anatomy - M 8-10am (part of time clinical); W 8-10 am and W 10-12pm (clinical)
Intro to DentSim - Tu 1-3pm
General Histology - Tu, Thr 8:30-10 am; Tu, Thr 10-12pm (lab)
Neurobiology - Thr 3-5pm (Sept 27 on through 2nd term)

Lunch is 12-1pm everyday

Classes End: Nov 12
Exams: Nov 15-19
Sealant Weeks: Nov 29-Dec 10

If I have written this correctly, then everyday we should have almost an '8-5' schedule

here is the finalized fall schedule you posted last year. i think that one you guys were looking at before was like the first draft and got more classes added later. bummer, i like the first one better :D

Biogirl361 said:
here is the finalized fall schedule you posted last year. i think that one you guys were looking at before was like the first draft and got more classes added later. bummer, i like the first one better :D

Thanks Biogirl for retrieving the full schedule! I was looking for a long time for it!

The Musketeer said:
Well, for gross anatomy the time there is only for the lecture part...so M, W 3-5 you will be in the cadaver lab. Usually for the 1st semester you will usually end class at 5 pm...and sometimes during your free time you will be doing DentSim. For the 1st semester you will not have any patients, it is just pure studying!

I had stayed till 5pm on some Mondays and Weds only. Most of the time, I went home around 3pm.

Intro to DentSim - Tu 1-3pm --- > only 5 or 6 times during semester

Outreach Prev Dentistry- [F 10-12pm (Aug 30-Sept 24)]; F 1-3pm; F 3-5pm (clinical) ----> usually ends at 3pm or ealier

General Histology - Tu, Thr 8:30-10 am; Tu, Thr 10-12pm (lab) ---> don't have to stay every lab session.

Some useful stuffs in your first semester:

Acland's Video Atlas of Human Anatomy DVD - buy and watch now in your free time

Video camera (recorded on DVD if possible) for your Histo class.

HuyetKiem said:
Video camera (recorded on DVD if possible) for your Histo class.

You mean the lecture videos?

Mo007 said:
You mean the lecture videos?

For your histo class, the slides identification portion of your exams are usually the slides that the professor will put on to show you near the end of each class, so if you record all the slides, you will be able to recall mostly everything on the exams.

The Musketeer said:
For your histo class, the slides identification portion of your exams are usually the slides that the professor will put on to show you near the end of each class, so if you record all the slides, you will be able to recall mostly everything on the exams.

And many small details would be mentioned during the slices ID show. DVD video camera is just for your convenience. Just pop the disc into your computer and watch... click onto the navigator bar of your computer's software to rewatch without any hassle of rewinding your DV tape.

HuyetKiem said:
Some useful stuffs in your first semester:

Acland's Video Atlas of Human Anatomy DVD - buy and watch now in your free time

we watched these in my anatomy class last semester... some of it was kind of gross, but i would guess it prepares you for what you're going to see in lab.

I am just curious... what are the recent average board scores at CASE, for part 1? - and what % of DMD grads go to specialty programs?

thanks

Mo007 said:
I am just curious... what are the recent average board scores at CASE, for part 1? - and what % of DMD grads go to specialty programs?

thanks

If I recall correctly, the percentage for last years was around 88%. Case % is usually placed about 3-4% above the national average. For the 2nd question I am not sure....

HuyetKiem said:

Let me correct you a little :) A gigabit network is only available via physical connection (RG47 coax or some other kind of cable) and almost 1000 times as fast as DSL working at 1.2 mbit/sec... you got the idea right?! ;)

On the other hand, a maximum wireless network speed today is 58 mbit/sec.

The moral of this boring story is that you don't need a gigabit network to check your email wirelessly while sipping on a cup of espresso :D , but it is very valuable for a large data transfer, like movie download :p :p :p :idea:

Biogirl361 said:
what's a gigabit network

think... you can download a full length DVD movie in under one minute :D A very very very fast data transfer :)