Who is Going to Edinburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdb9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I've decided to decline Wisconsin (so hard to do) and go to Edinburgh. Is there anyone out there joining me?

Members don't see this ad.

How did you decide on Edinburgh? I didn't apply as I didn't know it igsisted at first. I only saw the international schools from the VMCAS.

How did you decide on Edinburgh? I didn't apply as I didn't know it igsisted at first. I only saw the international schools from the VMCAS.

Basically it came down to getting an experience of lifetime that I couldn't possibly say no to. I've always wanted to live abroad and absolutely loved visiting Europe. How many Americans can say they lived in Europe for 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)

Edinburgh is on VMCAS too

I guess I didn't pay much attention when I did the VMCAS. I didn't put much thought into where I applied:) I regret not applying to Massey! The only reason I didn't is because they wanted you to have your vet sign that you did a certain amount of hours at a vet, and I didn't feel like going through the trouble to do so! That sure was dumb, lol!

I might if I don't get off waitlist at Mizzou, LSU, or VA-MD! A girl who is in Edinburgh's vet school volunteered where I worked last summer for her EMS, that's how I found out about it. She was planning on doing exotic/wildlife medicine which is what I also want to concentrate in. I wish I had her e-mail so I could talk to her! oh well. I'm so mad that they're new vet school will be finished (supposedly) by the time I'm in my third year and won't be using it as much. Dang it. Right now my SO is getting his Highly Skilled Migrant Worker crap processed-what a pain. Anybody else going to Scotland have a SO trying to get this status?

Hopefully I'll be going too!

Edinburgh is on VMCAS too

Yeah, but I don't believe it was called Edinburgh on the VMCAS - R(D)SVS I think it was listed as.

Anyway... Once my finals are over on Wednesday I'll be sending my deposit. I wish I hadn't waited so long to decide since it takes 6 months to get pets quarantined to bring with :(

I had hoped I'd get off the VA-MD wait list, but they seem to not want to tell me when anything regarding the latest/earliest one might hear back (or answer any questions, for that matter, in the past 2 months of tries...), and I'm not wasting a good offer because of a "maybe" that'd keep me in the states.

I'm nervous... I've never been out of the country (Canada doesn't count!).
:scared: :scared: :scared: <-- me everytime I start thinking about it

:scared:

:scared:

I think you will have a WONDERFUL time :)

I moved from Australia to England for a few years as a kid and have spent half a year or so living in Switzerland and I reckon moving to new countries is such an enriching thing. I'm sure it will be fantastic!!! :luck:

:eek: That's not right... Canada does count!!!

I think you will have a WONDERFUL time :)

I moved from Australia to England for a few years as a kid and have spent half a year or so living in Switzerland and I reckon moving to new countries is such an enriching thing. I'm sure it will be fantastic!!! :luck:

smileyiu7.jpg

I'm sure you're right though. It can't hurt me, right? RIGHT? ;)

:eek: That's not right... Canada does count!!!
Well I'm sure they count in some ways, but not any of the import ones...
Kidding, kidding. I've enjoyed plenty of time in Canada. Every summer as a child we went for a month.

Last edited:
:laugh:

Thats nice :) Still doesn't make Canada and the US the same country! haha sorry, I think that its just that too many people just assume Canada is like another American state, when really we are not!!

Ahh, no, that's not what I meant at all. What I meant is that, living so close, visiting Canada doesn't really seem like leaving the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe Ok, good, I was just making sure because really so many people do put us all in one Country. I've heard its the same for English and Scottish people actually, so better watch yourself there too! :D

So that's why I didn't recognize Edinburgh on the VMCAS! I would have applied there too if I had! What is an SO? I keep seeing people write that but I have no idea what it means!

If it were me, I would choose an abroad school any day over any school in the US. It's an experience of a lifetime! Just think about it, once you get out of vet school, you will be working and won't be able to do these fun things. Why not do it during school? Sure it costs more, but how many people do you know who have an opportunity like this! While your friends in the states will go skiing for a weekend, you can have a choice to go to Sweden, Germany, Spain, France, etc... And it will literally cost you almost nothing! The europe fares are usually about 1 cent with Ryanair. We will all go into debt regardless. Even though it will be higher for us, and least we can say it was worth it! Can you say that for an out of state school? I can't! I just got back from Scotland yesterday! My school, University of Glasgow, is not too far from the sea and the Lochness lake(the historical Lochness Moster!). It is just beautiful! The people are very friendly too. It's a once and a life time experience!;)

SO = significant other. BF/GF/Fiance/etc.

Did you go to just visit the school, or do you already attend Glasglow? I'm still a little hesitant and I wish I had another week to decide. Finals have me all stressed out and I'd hate to regret a decision I made while not thinking clearly. But, I cannot think of a reason to not go and that's what I'll be basing my final decision off of, I think :)

SO = significant other. BF/GF/Fiance/etc.

Did you go to just visit the school, or do you already attend Glasglow? I'm still a little hesitant and I wish I had another week to decide. Finals have me all stressed out and I'd hate to regret a decision I made while not thinking clearly. But, I cannot think of a reason to not go and that's what I'll be basing my final decision off of, I think :)

I just visited the school. Everyone there seems very happy with the school. No negative feedback whatsoever! I met the animals there too. The only reason I can think of not to go is the amount of debt, but that's it. I think all of us will have the time of our life! Just think, how many people have this kind of opportunity? I never imagined going to vet school abroad. It's kind of a fluke that I even applied. I don't think you will regret your decision of going to Glasgow. If I had got accepted into a wiche state school, I probably would have gone, not because I wanted to, but for financial reasons. But I never would have truly enjoyed it as I would abroad! Hopefully you will love it! Have you had a chance to visit it yet or are you just planning to go there right before school starts?

I didn't apply to Glasgow. I was only applying to two from the US and two out. I had a really tough time deciding. I applied to New Zealand because I had good friends (via Online gaming :p) that lived there that welcomed me into their homes to stay for as long as I would need, even the entire duration of my stay! I likely would have finally decided to attend Massey if it wasn't going to be an extra semester ($$$) and if they wouldn't have forced me to make a decision at the start of February, 6 days after receiving my acceptance!!!

I applied to Penn only for in-state reasons. I would not have gone there even if I was accepted because of the setting. Great school, but if I'm going to pay out the rear to go I'm going to like where I live. I applied to VA-MD because I absolutely loved the setting and the school felt cozy, the cost wasn't too bad, and since I'm interested in Aqua Med.. National Aquarium sounded nice.

My professors helped me make the final decision. I talked with them about the school options and every one of them ranked Edinburgh highly in good choices, so I made my 4th choice.

I had intended to visit the school during my spring break as that was the only time I could feasibly make the trip. Unfortunately the professors like to punish their students over break, so that ruined my chance.

I don't think Glasgow and U. of Edinburgh are too far apart. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you guys when I get over there! Just look for me, I'll be the male in the fetal position :D

I was just reading a topic on another pre-vet forum and they were discussing AVMA accreditation. One of the posters said that if a school loses its accreditation during your degree, that you will not graduate from an accredited school. Does any one know if this is true? With Edinburgh's review up next year, do you think we should have any concerns?

I was just reading a topic on another pre-vet forum and they were discussing AVMA accreditation. One of the posters said that if a school loses its accreditation during your degree, that you will not graduate from an accredited school. Does any one know if this is true? With Edinburgh's review up next year, do you think we should have any concerns?

That’s wrong; if you start classes and the university has accreditation then it doesn’t matter if they lose it during your 4 years, you graduate like it was accredited, even if they are not accredited when you graduate. I am not sure, but I also think the university goes on probation first, it doesn’t straight out lose its accreditation but someone else probably knows better.

That’s wrong; if you start classes and the university has accreditation then it doesn’t matter if they lose it during your 4 years, you graduate like it was accredited, even if they are not accredited when you graduate. I am not sure, but I also think the university goes on probation first, it doesn’t straight out lose its accreditation but someone else probably knows better.

I agree. This is what we were told last year when I was a final year student at Glasgow and the accreditation committee was visiting. We passed accreditation, but everyone sort of panicks around the time of such a visit. "What if...?"

Last edited:
This is silly, but... Anyone know what Yvonne's title is (Mrs, Ms, etc)? I've not been able to find it anywhere. Do they even have those titles in the UK? Unlike every US organization that mails me, I've not been called Mr. once.

*goes back to hiding his international noobness*

For those interested in Edinburgh, there is a special on The History Channel right now. Cities of the Underworld - Scotland's Sin City.

Underground city where the poor were kept? Oh that seals the deal! I have a place to live after Vet school :D

For those interested in Edinburgh, there is a special on The History Channel right now. Cities of the Underworld - Scotland's Sin City.

Underground city where the poor were kept? Oh that seals the deal! I have a place to live after Vet school :D

That reminds me - you should go do the "Haunted Edinburgh" walk thingies they have on Halloween. I did that in first year. Took a bus to Edinburgh (High Street or whatever it is that the castle is on) and took one of the tours. Dark night, went into a cemetery...even entered a tomb where there's a poltergeist. Unfortunately, nothing happened. It woulda been kinda cool. :)

I also recommend the "Haggis" trips out of Edinburgh. I took one in first year and it was a great way to get out into the highlands.

Hopefully I will be going there too! I am sweating blood to maintain the 3.4...haha....any one else having this issue?

Hopefully I will be going there too! I am sweating blood to maintain the 3.4...haha....any one else having this issue?

I was sweating to get the required B's in my classes. My GPA is a 3.9, but I received a C+ in BioChem. I knew I was going to get below the required B (long story involving a -very- unprofessional professor), so I talked to Yvonne. Turns out the requirements seem to be flexible somewhat. I'd talk to someone at the school if you are worried.

I'll still be going assuming I can get their online deposit payment to accept -any- of my credit cards... Not sure what the issue is if it's currency or what, but it's giving me grief. Edit: Guess it likes Mastercard better than Visa. If we are doing things based on what we like.. someone should tell them we don't like a $3000+ credit card bill ;)

I paid my deposit today too.. eeek!:eek:

Yeah, Yvonne is really nice....I will have a C in Biochem II as well......it is the worst class ever! She said that is fine though.....is any one leaving behind a boyfriend or girlfriend that won't marry them? I have a boyfriend now but he decided that he wanted to stay in Houston so I'm really having issues about leaving every thing behind...any one else having the same problem? I think living in Scotland would be awesome though so I'm sure it will work out somehow.

is any one leaving behind a boyfriend or girlfriend that won't marry them? I have a boyfriend now but he decided that he wanted to stay in Houston so I'm really having issues about leaving every thing behind...any one else having the same problem? I think living in Scotland would be awesome though so I'm sure it will work out somehow.

I am, but I knew I'd be moving somewhere as early as last Spring. I gave her a year to decide what she wanted (on top of the 4 we had previously). I was willing to stay and reapply to more local schools for next year, but I had decided I wasn't chancing my future on an uncertainty, and that's all she could give me by the time I had to make the final decision. She may regret her decision after I'm gone, but it's too late now. It will be hard to move and leave everything behind. Very hard. The only way I can justify leaving is that if she doesn't want to be part of my future, she can be part of my past and that it was her decision, not mine. Maybe you can use a similar rationale?

It sounds like we have pretty similar situations....craziness. Well, I must say.....that is the right way to think about it! It takes a strong person to realize that and be ok with it. It was nice to hear that from someone other than my parents though!!!! Thanks!

Has anyone applied for their Visa yet? I wasn't aware I'd need one, but I guess I do... hopefully it doesn't take too long to get (though I think I saw somewhere that you have 6 months once you get there to obtain one).

I haven't applied for mine yet. You can't apply for one until at most three months before your course date starts, but I should do it soon. No one will give me an exact time frame as to how long it takes but I would expect we should do it as soon as possible. However, I am still waiting for my official letter of unconditional admittance; we definitely need that to apply for our visa.

If you go to school in Europe, are you able to practice in the United States? What does the process for that look like?